If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Clacton Express Preservation Group - Class 309 EMU

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by CEPG, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Congratulations.
    I hope that you can find an appropriate new home for it.
    What are the long term aims, will it be kept ‘live’?

2. Mandator

Mandator Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Excellent news. Very well done!

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

3. alfred roberts 2010

alfred roberts 2010 New Member Account Suspended

Well done.
    Just think how good it would all look if a - a proper EMU museum (like at Coventry Airport until 2017) could be founded - with your 309 and all the Third Rail units now scattered around the UK. All in one field again.

4. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

5. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
  6. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

True, but in another thread, the loss of the “Barry spirit” is being bemoaned. He appears to be exhibiting that in spades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. CEPG

CEPG New Member

Indeed, That is an article featuring myself (the Chairman of the group) as a bit of free publicity kindly offered to us, though sadly several months late relevant to the actual purchase but you take what you can get.

I always take the attitude now that I'm not going to become an armchair enthusiast. If I want to see something saved for future generations, I'm going to get off my backside and do my damn best to see it through. It's certainly not easy, and at times it has pushed my patience and sanity to the limits, but I've learnt a lot, and met many new great people and overall it's been a positive thing in my life.

Though saying that, the last few months have been particularly rough. sadly minimal amounts of work are being able to be undertaken on 309624 currently due to site access Limitations. However, things are hopefully going to take an upturn in the next couple of months with hopefully many months of negotiations finally reaching a positive conclusion, securing a new long-term home in Anglia as well as potentially something else included as part of the overall deal. (I'm intentionally having to be incredibly vague, unfortunately.) Watch this Space.

8. CEPG

CEPG New Member

Apologies for missing this many months ago, I don't frequent this website perhaps as much as I should...

Finding an appropriate new home has been the main priority this year, at times overtaking priority from the vehicles themselves (why plough £1000s into vehicles that dont have a relative amount of security) Hopefully, as detailed above, things should hopefully reach their conclusion on that front in the near future.

Long-term Aims, Cosmetic restoration (Initially to Original 1962 lined maroon, As its the simplest to undertake and coincides with the 60th Jubillee of the vehicles construction) and longer-term 1987 NSE to match the interior. Repairs to the Train Air brake pipe and modifications to the 27-way jumper to enable push-pull/blue star operation. It's then hope to hire the set for Galas/Seasons at various heritage railways. Once the vehicles are operational we will be able to gauge interest, We do believe there is a market as a relatively unique attraction, especially at diesel galas where operations are incresingly more challenging with the growing number of Air only Diesels with primarily vac heritage stock.

9. Bikermike

Bikermike Well-Known Member

Hope it all goes well for you!

CEPG likes this.
  10. srapley

srapley New Member

Aerodynamicist (by day)/CME 35011 (spare time)
    Location, location, location, as they say, very important for giving your workforce ease of access to undertake restoration/conservation efforts. The piece of advice I'd give, based on my experience with 35011 in the past few years, is if you have the opportunity to visit any other similar units/projects, do. The context can help you think through any problems, and I've found it useful in my case to see completed, running Bulleid pacifics to remind myself what we're aiming for.

Matt37401 likes this.
  11. CEPG

CEPG New Member

That's Very sound advice, and some we have been following and continue to do so. We have visitied AMPSrail and their 312 at the CVR, plus had a visit to the SETG to visit 3417. Both were invaluable and we were grateful for the opportunites. In the future the 302, 303 and the other 309 are all on our visit list, so Its definitely something we want to do more of.

srapley likes this.
  12. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

13. Bikermike

Bikermike Well-Known Member

Oh that's a shame

Mrcow likes this.
  14. CEPG

CEPG New Member

Yes, indeed a shame but very much not the end, "down but not out" is the main takeaway. We need to find a new home, cut and dry. There's still a lot of scope for the project to continue but not at its current site, which is why our benefactor has given this notice. We are working on multiple avenues with his full support and we are determined to achieve a positive outcome.

15. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

I'm a little confused- who actually owns the unit?
    If it's the "benefactor", then obviously he/she can choose to move or sell it as they see fit.
    If it's the CEPG, what has happened that would necessitate the unit being sold,rather than an appeal for funds to move it, if there has been a parting of ways with the host railway.

16. CEPG

CEPG New Member

Officially the unit is "Owned" by a holding company, 309 Holding LTD, which is run by our benefactor. The CEPG act as "Custodians", fundraising, then paying for and carrying out all work and restoration. The long-term plan was and still is for us to over time purchase shares effectively transferring ownership to ourselves. We work as a close-knit team in order to find the best future for the vehicles.

17. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Thanks for the explanation.
    I'm not sure how you would continue though if the owner sells to party X who want nothing to do with your group.

18. CEPG

CEPG New Member

Well, at that point, we would respectfully part ways, though I doubt a situation like this would occur, it wouldnt be financially sensible to turn away a group dedicated as an income stream for further restoration and work.