If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

City of York 25th April

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by hjo1963, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Local news article on the fires - http://www.hemsworthandsouthelmsallexpr ... 5206767.jp

Chris

2. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Either sensationalism or inaccurately shabby journalism as is so common at local level or the 21st century era mentality of 1 bloke putting out the fire and 7 directing him.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member

7 making sure he's safe surely.

5. duracell1969

duracell1969 New Member

i was on the train glad to see the castle working well but taking it steady on the way back and good to see the support crew with the green wheelbarrow about time we got it named. =D> \:D/ =D>

keep goin with the good work tyseley

6. david1984

Bouncy Castle ?.

7. PaulT

PaulT New Member

Retired Railway Civil Engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    "Barrowheel Castle' (Sounds if it could be Cornish at a pinch!! (or should that be corny?!!))

8. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    Don't forget the wheelbarrow is also used with Halls so naming it ***** Castle would be likely to give the Halls an inferiority complex. :-$
    Also, which livery should it carry? GWR or BR Green? :-k

9. david1984

Your asking for trouble if suggesting a name that ends with Hall ;)

10. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I can't remember the last time it rained here actually, either way there was a huge ball of smoke just north of the bridge at Colton with immense amounts of smoke stretching all the way down to the village of Colton...

We were on the bridge at Colton, the fire was about a quarter of a mile north on the west side of the line. It started in the field with lots of smoke, after about 30 minutes it crept under the fence onto the track side. About 45 mins after the steam passed/fire started, it had largely died down, the fire engine then arrived and drove down the field through the crops. Good job the field was dry other wise it might have been a little difficult to extracate it!
    Notwork rail arrived 10 mins latter in a white van presumeably to supervise, but not before green visi-jacketed firemen were all over the lineside, with passing trains blaring horns. Eventually northbound trains on the adjacent line were brought to a halt at Colton South junction, before being allowed to proceed with flashing headlights (first time I've seen that) and blaring horns.
    We went for lunch in Appleton Roebuck, returning at about 2.45pm, the fire was out, the fire crew and NR departed at about 3.00pm.
    On the return 5043 came through the crossover here at the usual rate of knots we have come to expect, regulator open, feather at the safety valves, wonderful sight in full sun, well done guys at Tyseley. Harold.

11. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I have a couple of shots of 5043 taken late last year, at dusk and after dark. In both she is accelerating quite hard and throwing a continuous stream of sparks, several per second. I've not seen that from any other British steam loco for many years. Hopefully, there is a simple problem with her spark arrestor that can be easily fixed...

12. Bob Meanley

Bob Meanley New Member

Small point. Despite appearing to some to be "taking it steady", the engine was actually maintaining the sectional timings in the schedule, and arrived back at base one minute early.