If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Churnet Valley Railway Winter Steam Gala 7th & 8th Feb 09

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Woolley, Dec 11, 2008.

1. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hey just found this little device, which will let everyone see the gala even if you can't make it

http://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk/main/webcams.php

2. Jdwitts

Jdwitts New Member

Hi guys, planning on attending the gala, travelling down from Manchester for the day, just had a few questions.

Are those bus departures from Stoke and K&F the only ones all day? I.e. I would definitely need to get to Stoke for 10:35 in order to get there by the free bus link?

Also, is there a 'full-line all-day' ticket if I want to have more than one trip up & down?

Apologies if these questions are answered elsewhere in the thread.. Really looking forward to this one, especially if the snow is still around!

3. Woolley

Woolley Member

You will need to be at stoke for the times adverised as they are the only runs they are doing

There is a rover ticket available which will give you travel all day

Steve

4. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    removed

5. Jdwitts

Jdwitts New Member

Thanks for the info Steve, hopefully trains to Stoke will be ok tomorrow morning!

6. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Does anyone know the relevant prices for travelling on Saturday (i need the Oakmoor section), the CVR page for the gala seems to have everything but them :-k

7. M53494

M53494 New Member

I believe the Froghall - Oakamoor Loop section suppliment is £5.

8. chrisj94

chrisj94 New Member

Rather frustrated not to have been able to make it today,the weather was splendid here...
    Hope everything went ok,I'll just have to make sure I make the next one!

9. trainmad

trainmad New Member

Hi chaps,

Good event although could I possibly make a suggestion?

There seemed to be a lot of waiting about a Kingsley and Froghall - over half an hour in some cases. Couldn't this set have done a shuttle to Consall and back in that time as an added extra?

Paul

10. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Had a great day yesturday (early AM now!) travelling down to Froghall and getting the Oakamoor Section in before going linesiding for the rest of the day, heard there was a bit of a farce in the morning with the goods but was mostly sorted by the time i turned up at 9:30 and seemed to run fairly smoothly from there on in, i would reccomend going lineside to anyone considering getting a pass as it really quadruples your photting options on a line that isn't overly blessed with public spots, result - i've got some very nice phots and the Churnet Valley is 30 quid better off.

Weather ? snow on the ground to begin with and gradually melted away through the day though it stayed longer in some area's where the sun had not been obviously, why not have a look for yourself ?: http://david1984.fotopic.net/c1650413_1.html

11. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

A very enjoyable day out, and my first visit to the CVR I have to say they do a wonderful operation. Got to Stoke in good time to catch the first trip on the heritage bus to Kingsley & Froghall, the snow on the Staffordshire moors was breath-taking.

Photos below are as followed:

1) 4F 44422 & Jinty 47279 crossing the Caldon canal, Consall.

2) Jinty 47279 (K&WVR) gets it's tank topped up.

3) Visiting Great Western Prairie 5199 (Llangollen), arrives at Kingsley & Froghall.

12. 37255

37255 Guest

Great gala, both days! Thanks to everyone involved, and a special mention to steve for the best run I had all weekend, cheers \:D/

13. steamontheweb

steamontheweb New Member

accountant
    Many thanks to all those involved in the planning and execution of an excellent gala at this friendly railway. Everybody we met had a smile on their face! Special thanks to the person who organised the weather for my visit on Saturday; it must have been an expensive package! The Black Five looked magnificent, although I am not so sure about 5199's headboard.

Mike

Video: http://steamontheweb.co.uk/Churnet%20Va ... Valley.htm

14. ZEP

ZEP New Member

15. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Just to clear up the 5199 headboard, it is a homemade one which we wanted to fit but it had a midland bracket so to fit it on 5199 it required the use of a bracket converter. Unfortunately this made the headboard sit higher than normal, but now we know we can hopefully modify it to sit better next time.

Absolutely brilliant gala though. Well done Steve, Greg and everyone else for what was a highly enjoyable gala. Looking forward to returning during the course of the year with 5199 as I had a great time, with so many highlights ranging from the evening runs with 5199 to some of the stupidity (mainly from us!) round the sheds. The Yank was in top form as well though the Black 5 on Saturday evening's first run was something else.

The Froghall banking btw is a real gem of a thing for you IMHO. Definately something that fun for both crews and passengers :D

16. littlenobby

littlenobby Well-Known Member

student (6th form) Part time job at the Co-op!
    Absolutely Cracking gala lads, Really Enjoyed it, from the Snow to the Banter with the 5199/Grange Guys on Cheddleton Platform on Saturday afternoon, got some cracking shots, a couple of us had a play with the S160, such a fun day out it was unbelievable, well done, and you'll certainly be seeing us next year :D
    Photos are here too!
    http://photosbytom.mediaobjects.co.uk/c1651374.html only a few picked out from the best of Saturdays shots...

17. Tim Cowen

Tim Cowen Member

18. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Must say, it was an exallent gala. A first time visit to the Churnet valley, but i am most impressed, and will visit again...

19. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade
    My thoughts exactly and I think the 5199/6880 boys feel the same.

I spent from thursday morning replacing the brake blocks on 5199 in the snow through to sunday afternoon when the snow started to fall

The Churnet valley certainley puts the the fun element in to the hobby which is why we do it coupled with a large degree of common sense of course

Thanks to Gregg, steve, neil, chris etc etc not forgetting the girls in the cafe serving oatcakes

Looking forward to my next visit

20. cg

cg Well-Known Member

Has anyone posted shots from the Saturday night shoot?