If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Churnet Valley Railway& Moorland & City Railways Cauldon Lowe Branch re-opening Gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by chris meadowcroft, Jul 5, 2010.

1. chris meadowcroft

chris meadowcroft Member

Chemical Engineering Manager
    Re: Churnet Valley Railway& Moorland & City Railways Cauldon Lowe Branch re-opening G

Please phone the MCR office number to make bookings over the phone.

For the steam only running days (13, 14, 19, 24) services will be banked from Leekbrook to Cauldon Lowe. We have proved today that even an 8F with 6 Mk1's on needs to banked!

Regards

Chris

2. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. Churnet Valley Railway

Churnet Valley Railway New Member

Re: Churnet Valley Railway& Moorland & City Railways Cauldon Lowe Branch re-opening G

You are best phoning MCR on 01782 621380 to reserve a seat on the first service.

4. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer

I note that the latest Steam Beano feel that this major reopening only warrants 2 column inches, and they've even mis-spelt Cauldon as Couldon! The Ecclesbourne and Peak Rail manage slightly more coverage, but as per usual, there are pages devoted to the usual suspects, where there are no new milestones, just steady progress on already well-covered projects to report. Come on guys, take off the blinkers eh?

5. Churnet Valley Railway

The article to SR was submitted by the CVR's photographer Dave Gibson with the correct spelling. It appears that the name got lost in translation!!

As Press Officer for the CVR, I'm trying to improve our coverage in certain parts of the railway press but unfortunately progress is slow. As you say Sheff, it would be nice if more coverage was devoted to railways like ours.

6. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

7. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician

And had lots of fun. Roll on November, especially 5199!

8. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway

Sounds like it's gonna be a great event!

Lewis

9. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation

For instant results, use National Preservation.

10. alig8048

alig8048 New Member

"I note that the latest Steam Beano feel that this major reopening only warrants 2 column inches, and they've even mis-spelt Cauldon as Couldon! The Ecclesbourne and Peak Rail manage slightly more coverage, but as per usual, there are pages devoted to the usual suspects, where there are no new milestones, just steady progress on already well-covered projects to report. Come on guys, take off the blinkers eh?"

I agree, we at the PBR feel the same way. First time City of Truro has been in South Wales since the 1950s, first time at a South Wales heritage line, same for 1450 and yet all we get is some words. However if you want to see yet more pictures of it at the SVR and Llangollen there's plenty to choose from.

Grrr, arrghhh

Back on track, all the best with the reopening, hope to be there for the diesel weekend, any news on the 25 and 25 yet?

regards
    Alistair

11. alig8048

alig8048 New Member

oops I meant 24 and 25 - sorry

12. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

13. Churnet Valley Railway

Went on a press trip up the Cauldon Low line today and have to say that the views from the train and work carried out up there is impressive.

14. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway

Went on a press trip up the Cauldon Low line today

What type of press were they? Railway, Local or National, what was their overall impression on the line?

15. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician

24 and 25 have verbal confirmations from my understanding. Just waiting for t's to be crossed and i's dotted to make a formal announcement.

16. Churnet Valley Railway

It was the local press who have been very supportive with their coverage of CVR & MCR events. I think it's fair to say that they were impressed with what has been achieved in a short period of time. I believe that that a number of photographers from the railway press were positioned along the line.

17. Tim Cowen

Tim Cowen Member

Does anyone know if lineside permits are going to be available?
    After going up for a look around I was surprised at how few good photo locations there are with public access. Bradnop looks about the best, where the line runs parallel to the Ashbourne road, though with the road being to the north there could be problems with the sun. There is a possible shot from the overbridge at Ipstones and some from the road south of Winkhill, but assuming the locos are facing uphill from Leekbrook this is the wrong side of the summit.
    From the various videos now on Youtube it seems that the Leekbrook to Bradnop section is completely lined with trees.
    I will happily pay for a permit, as I am sure will many other photographers.

18. chris meadowcroft

chris meadowcroft Member

Chemical Engineering Manager

Tim,

I believe that we will be doing lineside passes but for the CVR only, this will include a map of the line highlighting road access to the various bridges/ roads that pass the Cauldon Lowe line.

The main reason that the lineside pass will not apply to the Cauldon Lowe is that there are a number of places where there is limit clearance due to the limited amount of tree clearing work that has been completed at this stage in some places.

We therefore want to eliminate the risk of any accidents until further clearing back work has taken place.

Regards

Chris

19. Tim Cowen

Tim Cowen Member

Thanks for the info Chris. Didn't know about the clearance issue.

20. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member