If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Churnet Valley Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Sheff, Dec 6, 2013.

1. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Why do they need that? And if they do, what effect would that have on the CVR?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ash-SOT likes this.
  2. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    It would feed passengers onto the CVR

3ABescot and Ash-SOT like this.
  3. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I doubt it.

A place like Alton Towers is an all-day attraction already; if that is your "big day out" then you are unlikely to want to leave after a few hours to spend more money on a train ride. A 2 adults + 2 children family looks like it would be the best part of £150 at Alton Towers; I'm not going to want to waste that money by leaving part way through the day to go to another attraction.

Tom

Chris86, beavis, Sheff and 8 others like this.
  4. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Paid for how? If I read you right, it looks like you’re suggesting that it’s a part of the admission - which would mean AT and CVR having to do some kind of deal. Getting a deal that gives CVR fares that allow it to fund an extension, and avoids the VERY brand conscious theme park dominating how the CVR presents itself strikes me as a tough ask.

oldmrheath likes this.
  5. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

Most visitors to AT get a ride on a monorail from the car parks anyway. Add rides on various roller coasters and that is quite enough 'train-type' experience for most. AT even got rid of it's own railway as it wasn't enough of an attraction.

Jon

Bluenosejohn, 35B and Jamessquared like this.
  6. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

I hear what you say Tom, but it is more than a day attraction. There is a 200 room hotel on site.

Steve

3ABescot likes this.
  7. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

There are actually three different hotels & some lodges these days there, still don’t see those guests staying likely to be rushing to visit the CVR in big numbers unfortunately.

Also the vast majority of visitors are day visitors regardless, Tom is right a day visit is expensive enough for a family meaning any additional cost for a train ride is unlikely to be welcome.

ghost, 35B, Paul42 and 1 other person like this.
  8. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

My daughter went there with her school recently. While she’s not a candidate for a trip on a preserved train, her account of the day convinced me that stepping out to do an external attraction just wouldn’t fit. It would mean losing out too much on the rides inside the park, given the queues.

I’d consider driving to the CVR for a day out, and I’d consider a day out at Alton Towers. I’d never consider combining the two - and I’m well past the target demographic for the rides.

9. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Quite. A timetabled attraction and an attraction with queues of indefinite length simply don't mesh. (And yes, I realise some theme parks have theatrical-type productions occurring at set times - but you don't miss the whole show if your queue for the previous ride happened to be five minutes longer than you expected).

The whole thing just feels like a non-starter to me.

Tom

lil Bear, 35B, Bluenosejohn and 2 others like this.
  10. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Yes, aside from cost, it’s what is realistic to do in a day especially with children. I think my two would protest if I said halfway through the day we need to leave to go for a train ride, with the added problem that would become a very long day not just for them but me too.

I live a couple of hours away so that’s four hours driving, if you then allow 3 hours for the train ride, that’s a large chunk of the day gone before you consider getting round what is a large theme park which is going to take several hours even if there were no queues. I think my children would be burnt out if I tried to fit it all in.

Of course there are the hotel visitors, I’d imagine the reason the vast majority are booking is to allow more time at the park (not forgetting they also have a water park as well as the theme park).

I don’t think that many of those staying would want to add in a separate train ride on top, certainly not a number to make it viable.

35B, Bluenosejohn, Paul42 and 3 others like this.
  11. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    The logic of you committed family types escapes me. I'd have thought the opportunity to dump drop the family off at such a place, whilst being left to enjoy a worthwhile day, unencumbered by the disinterested, would be irresistible.

I've heard it said (by a parent) that children are like farts .... in that you can generally just about stand your own.

87004, ady, oldmrheath and 1 other person like this.
  12. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

You are now suggesting something different, which is dropping the blighters off at the gate and picking them up later. At which point, the benefit of Alton station is limited, and the railway is one of many alternatives.

Unfortunately, society now looks increasingly unfavourably on such parental abandonment. This is in many ways a shame (I remember doing Alton Towers free of close parental oversight as an 11 year old), but is a reality for the funding of extra traffic if the line were to be re-extended.

As for the fart analogy, that’s a little harsh - they can be quite appealing!

Sheff likes this.
  13. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

Froghall is only 15 mins/7 miles away if people staying at the hotel want to do something different one day. Just easy as getting to Alton station , where a car park would need to be created.

Jon

14. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby Well-Known Member

Alton Towers attracts people to the area. Often from some distance away and so many people stay for a night or two somewhere. Either one of the AT hotels, or one of the local B&Bs. So I think it’s fair to say that the CVR gains at least a modest amount of business from AT visitors looking for something else to do whilst in the area.

The CVR could probably do very well with a couple of camping coaches to cater for this market.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    Ash-SOT and Gav106 like this.
  15. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Takes all sorts, I s'pose! :)

3ABescot and 35B like this.
  16. NeilL

NeilL Well-Known Member

Retired & OAPWay & tree feller
    CVR PWay work over the last few weeks has had two main themes - lineside tree work and tidying up and replacing and turning rails. The tree work is a never ending task but the changing rails does not happen that frequently and was a pleasant change even if it meant remembering the technique or developing it. Turning a 60ft rail without a crane took a bit of doing with the Hiab and a winch in the space we had between trees. It just fitted.
    DSCF2529.JPG DSCF2526.JPG DSCF2523.JPG DSCF2519.JPG
    DSCF2534.JPG DSCF2536.JPG DSCF2539.JPG DSCF2541.JPG DSCF2543.JPG DSCF2544.JPG

Johnme101, 87004, 49010 and 2 others like this.
  17. NeilL

NeilL Well-Known Member

18. NeilL

NeilL Well-Known Member

For the last month the PWay team has been changing sleepers on the branch line below Ipstones. This is because the Polar Express has been running between Froghall and the North Pole (Leekbrook Junction) Working on the exposed moorland line in winter is always a challenge, often with an icy wind blowing across the line
    DSCF2596.JPG DSCF2595.JPG DSCF2594.JPG DSCF2592.JPG DSCF2591.JPG DSCF2588.JPG DSCF2587.JPG DSCF2585.JPG DSCF2583.JPG

lil Bear, 49010, brmp201 and 4 others like this.
  19. NeilL

NeilL Well-Known Member

Polar Bear at the Polar Express
    DSCF2579.JPG DSCF2577.JPG DSCF2574.JPG

49010 and Vulcan Works like this.
  20. NeilL

NeilL Well-Known Member

Short wet and cold days at this time of year but PWay have had some big turnouts - 13 today. Keen to work off the season's excesses. Still changing sleepers, although last week we did some work on a messy farm crossing as well.
    DSCF2611.JPG DSCF2608.JPG DSCF2607.JPG DSCF2606.JPG DSCF2599.JPG DSCF2598.JPG