If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Christmas Coronation-1000+ miles with 60163 in 3 days

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by campainr, May 9, 2010.

1. royals pete

royals pete Member

First in preservation for WHAT ????

2. palace gates

palace gates Guest

A start to stop average of 70 MPH.

3. royals pete

royals pete Member

Oh, ok, understood, thanks. Seems there is ground breaking on the main line pretty frequently; Took some doing by Tornado though.

4. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Was it the first in Preservation? I thought Tornado had done that already on a test run?

And outside of the UK, German three cylinder pacific 012 100-4 did it a few years ago. Featherweight load. But over a very short distance.

5. claud hamilton

claud hamilton New Member

Electronics Engineer
    What speed is 012 100-4 limited too ? Higher than 75mph ?

6. palace gates

palace gates Guest

Sorry I did mean to add for fare paying passengers.It is true that the test had a faster average but that was a test.This was also over a harder bit of the East Coast than from York to Chester le Street.The most impressive bit was the average from Tallington to Stoke summit but I will let Mike Notley write about that.
    Going on to 012 100-4, I think that it is plated for 140Kph (87 MPH) but special dispensation is usally required for speeds over 120kph (75MPH) to be attained.

7. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

Somebody on the mainline run of the year thread suggested The Bristolian averaged 73mph on it's run? Or did they massage the figures and only quote over a section when it was up to speed, rather than start-stop? Admittedly, it'd be easier to achieve this kind of figure given the length of the run and load, so Tornado's is somewhat more impressive.

8. palace gates

palace gates Guest

dalrypaul

I don't think that was a start to stop average.I think it was a pass to pass average or even a pass to stop average.There was a slow start from Bristol up the hill and a very slow 20 mph turn on to the Badminton line.As I have mentioned before I was not on the Castle trip because I thought it was too expensive,so my info is second hand so to speak.

9. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

Thanks. I recall the poster in the other thread gave the mileage over which the 73mph average was achieved as being around 100. I didn't pay it that much attention at the time and just assumed it was the full distance, but presumably they missed off the start and/or end.

10. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Bristolian - 73 mph average. Tornado with just under 500 tons - 76 mph between Peterborough and Stoke.......... uphill.

11. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

18 201 (my avatar) has run faster than 100mph, this century.. surely it's average is going to be over 70mph for that run.

12. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    When talking about preservation,surely we're only talking about Britain?

Or are we talking generally....?

13. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Some more info on the coal problem in this week's Railway Herald Issue 248 Russian coal as normally used by Tornado they say. Samples sent for analysis.

14. palace gates

palace gates Guest

ADB968008
    I am assumeing that you are referring to the two trips made on 5th May 2002 with 18.201.If so then the answer is no.The distance for the particular leg was 16.7 miles.The first trip made 96mph and covered the distance in 16mins 40 secs.The second made 102mph and did it in 15mins 10 secs.This is impressive but the weight of the train was only 7 for 285 tons.There was a further run in German that year with a load of 5/190 tons where the 16.2 miles from Augsburg to a sig stop before Dinkelscherden in a time of 13mis 55 secs.This equates to a start to stop average of 69.8 mph.So not quite but very impressive bearing the distance covered.
    I think this goes to show how good 163 is with a heavy load.