If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cholsey and Wallingford Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Autotank, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    'Cumbria' arrived on Friday and we're steaming her today for some crew training. Thanks to the Furness Railway Trust and the Ribble Steam Railway for handing her over in such excellent condition - she really is a lovely engine. Looking forward to a round trip on the shovel later today.

Her first public trains will be next Saturday - more details at www.cholsey-wallingford-railway.com

I'll try to post some pictures later...

2. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Fingers crossed I have managed to post my first pictures on this forum! 'Cumbria' on crew training runs at Cholsey today during the run-round.

Attached Files:

3. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    What a great first weekend with 'Cumbria' - lots of full trains and happy people.

The BBC even came down to join in the fun - see the report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/oxford/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8337000/8337920.stm

Nick Brazil's excellent DVD about the line is now availble to purchase: http://www.brazilproductions.co.uk/products.html (scroll down to the bottom)

We're steaming again this weekend (7/8th Novemeber) and 'Cumbria' will be in the bay at Cholsey as Tornado steam past on the main line. Should be a memorable occasion.

4. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Last chance to ride behind Cumbria this weekend - she'll be heading north on Monday. She has been great fun to operate - thanks to the guys from Preston and the Furness Railway Tust for letting us borrow her.

Largely thanks to the steam presence we have had a really successful Autumn/Winter operating season which has swelled the coffers for maintenance and imrovements during the coming closed season.

Fingers crossed we should have more regular steam next season. More details to follow...

5. cg

cg Well-Known Member

Saw the engine whistling at the King on Saturday. Hope it is in fine fettle.

6. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Here is a picture of the 'King' roaring away from Cholsey on Saturday - she looked and sounded absolutely superb - http://twitpic.com/th87m

Also here is 'Cumbria' rubbing shoulders with a lovely minature traction engine that visited Wallingford on Sunday. The concerned looking, flat cap wearing crew member is me! http://twitpic.com/tv5hp

For those that haven't done so yet do follow us on Twitter! www.twitter.com/thebunkline

7. Ribblesteam

Ribblesteam Guest

Make sure you give her a polish and a good clean ready for our Steam Gala in Feb and don't forget you guys are welcome to come up and see us - its not that far!

8. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

Pity about that awful fence on the island platform!!

9. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Quick update on closed season activities from the C&WR.

As usual we've been doing a lot of P-Way work in the closed period after Xmas mainly focusing on spot re-sleepering. Last weekend we were up at Cholsey putting some new point timers in, ballasting and putting up a new sign which should be visable from passing main line trains. There are some photos of recent work up on the Facebook group - http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=52377378585 If you don't use FB here are some direct links to photos:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4103122&l=00994b6672&id=704315828 - I'm the one in the flat cap!
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4103122&l=00994b6672&id=704315828 - in goes a point sleeper. Yes they are heavy!
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4103122&l=00994b6672&id=704315828 - shows just how close we are to the 100mph up relief

At Wallingford work continues on the station redevelopment with the new Cafe on course for reopening at Easter and a new museum by the end of the year. Also we have a new toilet block which should be installed later in the year - http://twitpic.com/111b09

There is a great photo of 'Cumbria' and the King at Cholsey in the current Heritage Railway.

The running season starts with Ivor at Easter and from June onwards we should have steam for the rest of the year (details to follow). We have also just introduced driving courses on our 08's which start from just £75 for half a day! Details on the website www.cholsey-wallingford-railway.com

Hope to see you on the line during the season - don't forget you can keep upto date on the twitter feed which I run www.twitter.com/thebunkline

10. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Yikes haven't updated this thread for ages!

Again it has been a busy closed season on the branch with lots of work taking place on the track and at Wallingford Station.

The trackwork has centered on the section near Cholsey Bridge (Bunk Bridge) by the Church - it's been a pleasure working each Saturday on what I think is the prettiest section of the line. There are a number of steel sleepers which have been replaced with concretes. The steels date from the 1930's - I believe they were experimentally used on the GWML but weren't considered suitable for main line use so were moved to the branch shortly after where they have remained ever since! We've replaced every third one with concrete sleepers that came out of the Cotswold line near Honeybourne a few years ago. Great progress was made with the help of a vintage JCB and we replaced over 100 in about 9 working days. Other work has included spot re-sleepering and general lineside clearance.

At Wallingford Station we have finally got new toilets! The old ones had been in use for 20 years and were looking very tatty so the new facilities are a vast improvement. Work has also progressed on turning the Cambrian coach into a museum, although work isn't expected to be complete until later in the season.

On the rolling stock side of things more work has taken place on the MkI door pillars and some restoration work has been undertaken on Collett Brake 184.

Ivor arrives this week to haul our trains at Easter and will probably stay for a few of the May operating days as well (TBC). We're hoping to welcome a steam loco in late May/June to haul our trains for the rest of the season – more details soon! I'm told we're looking for something special in August to celebrate our 30th anniversary as well.

Keep upto date with the latest updates on www.twitter.com/thebunkline – I got quite excited recently when we passed 500 followers! Lots of links on there to photos and other bits of general railway interest.

11. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Just a quick note to say RSH 0-4-0 Birkenhead No 7386 will be arriving this week for a two month visit thanks to the GWRPG. She will be hauling all of our trains in June and July (except 31st July when all 3 of our 08's will be in action). Do come and have a ride (why not combine a visit to see the Railmotor at Didcot next Sunday or Monday with a trip on our line?). She should make a nice noise coming up the bank to Cholsey station where there is a cross platform interchange with FGW services to London and Oxford.

12. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

That's a good thought, which had already occurred to yours truly! I've passed your station at speed on HSTs but never popped in. I'll correct this ommission next weekend, all being well!

13. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    'Birkenhead' arrived yesterday morning facing Wallingford. We'll be steaming her for crew familiarisation on Saturday and running public services on Sunday and Monday.

14. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
  15. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
  16. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    Nice video and pictures. I happened to be Wallingford around a month ago and although shut at the time I'll definitely have to visit when I'm down there in the future. Looks a great little line.

All the best

Duncan

17. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    After a few weeks off we're steaming again this Saturday and Sunday for our Ale on the Rail weekend. Enjoy cask and bottled Real Ale from local breweries, served on board the trains in the brake coach bar!

As mentioned elsewhere we are teaming up with Didcot on Sunday 31st July for an 08 day - more details on our website.

18. Devonbelle

Devonbelle New Member

Professional railwayman
    Very impressed with visit today, the little RSH saddle tank sounded excellent on 3 mark 1s, trip made even better by the ale on the train. Would be good to see and sample the home made cakes again in the station buffet at Wallingford.

Super line, I will return when the next steamer arrives!

19. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Great to hear you enjoyed your visit Devonbelle!

Quick update on Wallingford goings on:

Birkenhead is having her boiler insurance exam so fingers crossed touch wood we'll have steam haulage for our Santa Specials which start on December 3/4 (no booking required!).

Our Kemble box van has had extensive re-planking and looks much better. She will receive a full repaint when the wether improves and should get a few runs out next year on quieter running days when we only use 2 Mk1's (the run round loop at Cholsey is only just long enough for 3 Mk1's)

More work has been undertaken on replacing Mk1 door pillars. The Cholsey side of our BSK has been repainted and looks an absolute treat. In the last 18 months we have completely repainted two MK1's and the third will be tackled next year.

Details on a Steam and Diesel visitor for 2012 to be announced soon...

20. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Bad news unfortunately - Birkenhead failed her boiler exam today with crown stay issues. She'll have to go off site for repairs. Looks like we won't have steam for our Santa Trains unless anybody has a bright idea?!