If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cheddington Station Footbridge

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by quarterjack, Nov 12, 2013.

1. quarterjack

quarterjack New Member

In the wrong job.
    I was at Cheddington Station on the WCML a couple of weeks ago and got chatting to a chap from Network Rail's contractor, Osborne. He informed me that the original footbridge is due to be removed in the next few months and replaced and suggested that a heritage centre wishing to make use of the parts could take them away. The uprights appear to be of cast iron, as are the upper landing supports. I've no idea how old the bridge is but it might even date back to the 1840s, although modified over many years. Cheddington Station was the station into which the train from the Great Train Robbery was stabled immediately after the robbery.

The nearest heritage centre which springs to mind in the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre but other such as the Chinnor and Princes Risborough or the Epping/Ongar line might be able to find a home for these bridge parts - but only if you move quickly.

Over to you guys.