If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

CathEx - London and Bristol to Ludlow and Shrewsbury - Nov 29th

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Big Al, Nov 11, 2014.

1. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to hearing the truth behind the rumours about all these alleged stock, locos and track defects......

2. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    A couple of video clips of the train yesterday; firstly, forging past Wistanstow, then, getting away slowly from Shrewsbury in the dark past Sutton Bridge Junction box.

Cheers

Alan

3. The Crimson Pirate

The Crimson Pirate Member

[​IMG]

KentYeti and green five like this.
  4. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Well if you are waiting for someone from WCRC to comment you will have a very long wait!

RalphW likes this.
  5. eggbert

eggbert Member

IT
    My effort in the morning, with the movement from Bristol at Standish Junction and the Gloucester departure

6. I. Cooper

I. Cooper Member

Oh agreed.

Irrespective of operator it's easy to be sympathetic towards "elderly old steam locos" developing faults and having problems, whilst at the same time sometimes being less accomodating to the rolling stock - which arguably can get a pretty rough time of it when it comes to the interior fixtures and fittings. The humble BR Mk I is potentially up to 65 years old now, with the youngest 50 years old. I've no idea the history behind any of the mainline registered sets of carriages and if/when they were refitted internally and rebuilt mechanically. Whether run by commercial companies on the mainline or privately on preserved railways, the rolling stock can often be the poorer cousin hiding in the shadows of the locomotive glamour.

The spot at Wistanstow looks good - was clearly working well. It was just drifting along as it came past me a bit further north.
    Lol - you were clearly on the footbridge whilst I was standing behind you on the road bridge in the evening! Lol.

7. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer

Hello Ian,

Yes indeed!! When you left, I thought, I know that chap...... We will all have to wear name badges!! :) Will be in touch soon.

Cheers

Alan

8. I. Cooper

I. Cooper Member

Lol!
    I was driving the old Landy Rover this time, and not sporting a camera - so was in disguise compared with the previous week!

9. I. Cooper

I. Cooper Member

I heard this morning from someone at Shrewsbury station that the departure was initially delayed due to a late running service train, then two people in hi-vis were seen to be peering under the end of the last carriage with a lamp, followed by hammering noises.

That might explain the obvious clonking sound eminating from the last carriage when the train came past us at Sutton Bridge. Despite fading the sound down before the end on Ragl's video, you can still hear the approaching square wheel in places, which was totally silent on the outward trip (and can be heard - or rather not heard on all the other clips from earlier in the day).

Perhaps a seized brake block required gentle persuasion to release?

I also hear that the class 67 was running a bit low on go-juice on arrival which is why it popped up to Crewe for a refuel - although no idea how true that is. With Coton Hill out of action the 5s spent their time up Abbey Foregate ...which is often where they take water anyway these days. Was interested to see a photo of them both sat in Bay 5 for a while - wonder when the last time steamers were sat in the bay platforms at Shrewsbury?!

10. hampstead

hampstead New Member

Just for the record.It sat here for five minutes and then the diesel dragged it all out.
    The couple alighting do not come and admire the engines.

11. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Yes, we were running 1hr 50m late due to delays with the stock at Shrewsbury. The diesel pilot had been attached(as booked)at Bristol Parkway.

12. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Apparently the problem at Shrewsbury was a broken brake pipe connection between the support coach and train that had to be repaired. This is a good example of the importance of having people on board who can actually make repairs should anything go wrong whilst on the move. Well done to those involved otherwise the train would have been stranded.

I. Cooper likes this.
  13. malc

malc Part of the furniture

That's a bit different to what happens on the "proper" railway where a broken brake pipe can result in a train sitting blocking the line for several hours until the nearest fitter has arrived by road. I was reading on another forum about a freight train which failed at Wellington and blocked the line for 4.5 hours until a rescue loco had made it's way all the way from Bescot (about 25 miles away). And they complain about steam locos!