If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

CathEx Kent Circular 23/12

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Big Al, Dec 17, 2012.

1. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Strange but I have not noticed this 'Alarming' number of errors/typos with either UKSteam or members in general. OK anyone posting from one of these new fangled minute screened smart phones may have a bit of finger trouble, but be thankful that there is this flow of information.
    I have in the past sent either an email or PM to David of UKSteam if have seen an error, but do not blow it out of all proportion by making it a public issue. Not sure how errors can be costly, usually a bit of logic and common sense will flag up an inconsistancy, which can then be checked.

2. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Well-Known Member Friend

Early retirement! (Ex-Business Improvement, LU).
    Oh dear - such fragility! All I was saying was that we all need to be careful to avoid typos when we post (including me) - there is no need for either rudeness or over-defensiveness. You will also notice that I saluted the work of UKSteam. No-one should be offended by my comment - it was not malicious or negative, just advisory.
    Merry Christmas to all and a steamy New Year!

3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

A great trip today, Started off badly, as reported, with the stock being sent via Dover to get to Rainham - i.e. not as planned. Basically we remained about 40/45 late all the way round despite NR sending us fast line via Kent House to help us catch up. But the engineering works between Clapham Junction and East Croydon with everything on the main, were a nightmare and added to delays for everyone. It was still nice to see the many bewildered faces at Clapham Junction though as we went through (twice).

In case you are wondering, the absence of chime whistle today was because of a fractured steam pipe that fortunately could be isolated - hence the 'peep'. Sighs of relief over potential FTR problem! As usual, some slick driving by Hither Green folk.

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not fragile at all but your post came over as very dismissive of those who take the trouble to impart info on here but occasionally suffer from fat finger trouble. And if you don't want people to be offended by your posts perhaps you should follow your own advice of reading carefully what you've written before hitting the send button. Maybe a word of thanks rather than a word of criticism would be in order too.

5. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
  6. royce6229

royce6229 Well-Known Member

Did the steam go down with the empty stock via Dover this morning? As there was a gauging issue with steam going in the down direction direct to Rochester, so taking the whole lot around Dover would have be planned anyway.

7. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

Imagine life without Dave at UK Steam! The information available now and the speed with which it is made available, is magnificent.

I remember the pre-UK Steam era when the only way of getting train information was to dial some 0900 premium rate number to be greeted with "Thank you for calling the friends of mainline steam. The information, should you wish to listen to..........." It cost and arm and leg but was the only source of information. Forget detailed passing times or light engine movements, it was all very basic but served its purpose at that time.

I guess we all take for granted the immense work that Dave puts into updating steam tour timings. But without him, we would be in a much poorer place. I can put up with the odd error, I am sure most of us can too.

By the way, hats off to Steam Dreams who provide an excellent phone service where Steam Dreams train times are updated for their customers and enthusiasts alike. Phone number is on their website.

Merry Xmas

Nick

8. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    That sir (or madam) is very unnecessary, David does an invaluable service for us all for which MOST of us are very grateful. What would YOU do without UKSteam?
    Your post sounds as though you take advantage of free services and then complain if an error is made because "it can be costly".
    Simple solution, don't use the services.

9. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Well-Known Member Friend

Early retirement! (Ex-Business Improvement, LU).
    I could not agree more. Some people seem to have taken my constructive criticism personally and negatively. I meant every word of my original post - we simply need to doubly careful when we post times and locations (it really doesn't take much to check before sending). The UKSteam site amazes me with its detail and reliability, and I saluted it accordingly. That doesn't mean that any constructive criticism cannot be countenanced - no-one is above that.
    There is a big difference between a single wrong digit (which is either unimportant or explicable through a quick 'logic check'), and a completely wrong time plus location (the latter is not just 'fat fingers') - to take recent examples; 'Rainham 1037' instead of 'Rochester 1147', and 'Gillingham DGL' instead of 'Sittingbourne DGL'. Of course everyone makes mistakes - but a quick check can eliminate most of these.
    I'll say it again: my wording was carefully chosen and was NOT negative in tone, unlike some rude and arrogant responses from those who bristle very easily. By the way, I post information when I have it and am in a position to do so, and I don't expect or crave others' thanks for doing so - it's just something that we do to be helpful where possible.

All the best for Christmas to all.

10. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    I think basically it was the specific singling out of David at UKSteam that has raised a few hackles. The fella does a good job, we'd be lost without him. A general note of asking for a bit more accuracy might IMO been better received.

11. richards

richards Part of the furniture

OK - that's enough! A number of posts have been removed from this thread. Let's get back to the subject please.

Richard