If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cathedrals Express Valentine's Day Lunchtime Tour

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by green five, Feb 7, 2015.

1. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Photos now available of 61306 today

[​IMG]

She seemed to be putting up a pretty damn fine show at Winchester and Fleet on the run back to London, can't say I massively noticed the diesel on either occasion. She did seem to be running like a sewing machine, and looked stunning.

2. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

I really do feel that there was absolutely no need for the diesel to not only be dragged around today but to shove it almost at will. Mayflower proved its worth and reliability to Windsor this week and so no one was surprised to hear initially that the diesel would be dropped at Grosvenor Bridge but the diesel stayed on and rather that sit quietly at the back, it seems to have pushed more than most tours in recent times. If I was able to talk to the diesel driver, I would have told him to let the B1 do the work because that is what people have paid a lot of money for. Not for this thing to do most of the work. I was on the doubled headed black 5's to Dover in December and what a joy to know that the diesel was left behind. I have incredible sympathy for the passengers because there is not doubt. THEY HAVE BEEN SHORT CHANGED!

green five likes this.
  3. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    Second trip out of a "new" locomotive in one of the most heavily congested parts of the entire national network in conditions which weren't exactly favourable?

I'd say sticking a diesel on the back was entirely sensible TBH.

Shoddy127, 9001, RalphW and 1 other person like this.
  4. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    A few people out to see her tonight at Haywards Heath (not loads but a few) which isn't surprising given a B1 is a rarity down here (until 61306 comes back for some of the other Cathedrals she's down to do in and out of the Bluebell). Looked great and the station announcers came on the tannoy with info on when she was arriving (just under a minute after a Thameslink 387 left north for Bedford on the platform most of us had gathered on).

The diesel didn't seem to be doing any work though.

5. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

I totally understand the reason for having the Diesel on the rear to assist in case of problems but do not agree with the attitude of pushing most of the time. Okay, 61306 is a new ML loco but how will they learn anything about her capabilities when a diesel is providing a lot of the momentum? Did they not learn anything from the ML test run in 2013 about what she could handle?

6. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Waiting on the platform at Woking this morning I also noticed they put up "When Harry met Salisbury" in the display on the information boards

7. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

West Coast can speak for itself but my understanding is that they never stick a diesel on just for fun or to spite those people who worry about such things. However, I believe the story with the B1 is that they want to see how she performs before she is allowed out on her own. And today, with 10 on, it was inevitable that the diesel would assist once it was added as the load was too much for sensible hill climbing and acceleration generally. It's just a pity that they were not clearer about that policy at the time they knew she would be in action on the Cath Ex.

The acid test will be on March 1 when she goes up Sapperton.

green five, Paul42 and mike1522 like this.
  8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

For the first time ever, I actually saw a layer of grime on it in one of those videos..

9. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

After abandoning my day's filming at the Mid Hants Railway's Spring Steam Gala on the Friday, I was hoping for a much better day on Saturday seeing 61306. Here's my video from the 14th February, captured at Worplesdon, Witley Bank, departing Haslemere, Fareham Viaduct and Hedge End.

And also, a link to my Flickr photo set, with shots from yesterday and the 11th Feb.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/onthefastline/sets/72157650702147386/

James

Below: 61306 races through Hedge End on the 14th February. Never thought I'd see a B1 through my local station...!

Flickr1.183.jpg

10. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance

My video from yesterday is now up and available

11. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    I can't comment on the diesel pushing, of the six occasions I saw it "in motion" I was only aware of the diesel assisting the once, that being out of Victoria at the very start of the day which is not unusual.

12. Big Al

A still from the video on the Portsmouth Direct - nice to have something down this line again - plus some love from SWT on the platform.

vlcsnap-2015-02-14-12h50m20s132.png P1070491.JPG

13. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    looking at the clips and speaking to friend who have been so disappointed at being pushed around by a diesel most of the day surely we have to ask the question - is this B1 fit for purpose? Big Al and others keeps saying its a good idea to have a diesel until WCRC are satisfied the engine is fit for purpose. That's nonsense because of one thing - they aren't giving it an opportunity to prove itself by adding 125 tons of ballast to a train are they?
    I don't agree with the comment about WCRC either. From bitter experience and cost they seem more than happy to ruin steam hauled trains with their beloved diesels assisting for no real reason. My friends and I have booked on the 1st March as we were told on the phone that it would be a 10 coach train with no diesel. Hopefully they'll use Tangmere to provide what they are selling - a steam hauled train. We're going to contact them tomorrow and if Mayflower is still the rostered loco we'll cancel and request a refund. Come on WCRC and SD, honesty please. steam hauled is a simple context. If the engine isn't up to it don't use it or advertise that due to the incapability of the locomotive to haul a train on the modern busy network an assisting diesel will be on the train and let customers make their choice.

14. Big Al

I presume that with the extra load and assistance it was still possible for West Coast crews to carry out whatever proving activities they wanted to do. The trouble is that people were paying them for the free test runs. And to be fair, if you have a concern you don't try it out in real time as if, and I repeat if, the B1 had failed to keep time down the Pompey direct on its own then SWT/NR would have noticed and you are then into delay attribution minutes. I think that after last year, West Coast would prefer their operations not to be in the limelight in 2015. And just for the record, I didn't travel on Saturday because of the last minute change of plan and at present I am out of pocket.

15. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Don't blame 61306 for WCRC's decision to add a diesel to the back. I dislike them and hate being shoved around by one but going by several video clips of her two recent main line runs 61306 has done plenty of work on her own and has coped with both the train and the additional weight of the diesel on the back. I'm on the March 1st run and am looking forward to the B1 doing it all on her own. I for one have faith in her ability.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  16. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I get your point but surely another ecs proving run would have satisfied. The problem with a diesel on the back is the extra weight all but guarantees it will have to assist at some point. That said and with reference to my earlier post, 61306 seems to have worked both trains without the diesel assisting on some sections at least.

17. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Didn't know you could still get to that bridge, the scene of many hours photography on summer Saturdays in 1962/63

Don

18. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

An added problem was the relatively tight timings, especially Eastleigh to Basingstoke. I expect the B1 could have kept that on 10 but it would have required a top of the range class 5 performance. Where are these sort of timings when a Bulleid is in charge?

Don

19. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Yes I had an email from SD saying "planned" to run without a diesel,however have had a look at RTT at Paddington for that day and the tour times are all there but there are no LE moves for the diesel so unless they are going to be added in later it doesnt look good.

Totally agree with your plea for honesty but I think we both know that we will never get a communication of any kind,honest or otherwise,from WCRC!

Would be most interested to hear if you get your refund.

20. 34098

34098 Member Account Suspended

I think you will find the reason the diesel is added in some cases, Is for operational reasons an overloaded class 5 on the mainline alone isnt going to keep to time alone.
    Hence the shove duff on the rear,it happens with the black fives when they are on class 7/8 loads alone for the same operational reasons.