If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cathedrals Express to Minehead with 61306 on Thu 26 November

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by gwr4090, Nov 18, 2015.

1. 6024KEI

6024KEI Member

Whether the mechanical problems today were predictable or not WCRC needs to get out of this run of bad luck. Ultimately their business depends on the passengers on their trains having a good time. If not then that will very quickly make its way to places like Trip Advisor and will start to affect bookings - that may be indirect but if Steam Dreams etc don't get the bookings on their trains, WCRC won't get a booking to run the train. If that means they have to be doubly careful about checking mechanicals, providing spares, running lighter loads and sticking to rules then that is what needs to happen - more trips like todays and their client promoters will start to struggle for bookings from "normals" as well as the enthusiasts who are already avoiding taking the chance.

2. Woof Mk2

Woof Mk2 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Tell me why, in your expert opinion, would the ORR be interested.
    A coach with a defect which , unfortunatly, had to be removed. Story...end of!

sycamore likes this.
  3. granmaree

granmaree Member

Brakes not released, dragged, flattened wheels, human error as opposed to technical fault?

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Despite the best efforts of maintenance staff, transport in all shapes and sizes suffers from unforseen problems leading to delays, other toc's stock gives trouble, vehicles break down causing motorway chaos, flights are pulled at the last minute. Get used to it , it happens, it's not just a WCRC problem.

KentYeti, Johnb, maureen and 3 others like this.
  5. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

So that makes it alright then......

6. Woof Mk2

Woof Mk2 Member

Makes what alright?

7. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

The ORR would be interested as they are keeping an eye on all aspects of WCRC operations since the earlier 34067 incidents which caused the initial ban.
    Fair enough rolling stock fails but WCRC have had rather a lot of problems with their stock in my experience.
    I have travelled on a lot of Rail Tours over the years since 1998. The occasions when I have encountered major problems on trips is when they have been operated by WCRC I am afraid.
    The most disturbing incident was a major electrical problem when the tube light went bang over our heads on a CE trip. We then had to sit in the dark for the rest of the return journey. I have never encountered anything like this on DBS excursions.

8. guycarr360

I always see as I find, gave up UK tours after a sequence of unfortunate or preventable issues like :-

1. No Heat
    2. Too much heat
    3. No Lighting
    4. Change of route at last minute.
    5. No show of advertised motive power.
    6. Shoveage up ECML, instead of unassisted, the most impressive A4 to 75mph, at least as fast as a 47.........
    7. Steam Failure
    8. Diesel Failure
    9. Stuck in middle of nowhere, bus ride home by TOC, late night taxi ride home afterwards.

How many more are in the same boat would be interesting to find out, I simply lost faith in the product.

9. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

We can all produce a similar list. My most recent set, working backwards from the latest outing is:
    1. Ran with advertised locomotive, to time and with no problems.
    2. Diesel assistance added by TOC at the last minute (unknown to the tour operator). Steam then fails.
    3. Ran with alternative locomotive and with no problems.
    4. Ran with advertised locomotive but a coach problem resulted in a delay while it was fixed leading to a late return and a missed connection.

I think the above just illustrates the complexity of operating steam charters on the main line. I think it also explains the Trip Advisor pattern of between 15% and 20% of people rating their experience as terrible, for whatever reason. My guess is that the Cath Ex yesterday will pick up a few bad reviews despite the fact that the problems had nothing to do with Steam Dreams.

I'm sure that the market is becoming increasingly selective and why not, if you have spent a few hundred pounds on a dining experience that turns into a day marooned on a train with a short visit to your destination in the dark. The reality is, I think, that the regulars may be more forgiving than the general market who couldn't be blamed for saying "Never again" after a bad experience. But the reality also is that even if WCRC had brilliant rolling stock, Network Rail always managed to path the trains well and the fleet of locomotives available to West Coast (plus their own) were consistently reliable, there would always be an element of uncertainty about these trips. Do you know, I still admire the companies like the RTC and SD who take the risk, because that's what it is.

MellishR likes this.
  10. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

I assume on the basis of the majority of those points you refuse to travel anywhere with Northern Rail, although to be fair they just leave the stock in service in that condition.

11. guycarr360

I have a car, so rail is never used locally, if it is Inter City it is Virgin or Trans Pennine, who to be fair have never let me down.

Just because stock is from 1960, does not mean I want to put up with comfort, cleanliness, or conditions from that time, it can be done better, and, with my last trip with Tornado to Edinburgh and back, it was....

12. MikeMelbourne

MikeMelbourne New Member

Retired
    Yesterday I really felt sorry for the twenty or so passengers waiting two hours or more at Newbury Racecourse.
    The steward managed to get them hot drinks etc. and was communicating with the broken down train staff at Reading. Dining passengers were told their seats were no longer available and could claim a refund. Other passengers were told the train was just leaving and would be there within half an hour to pick them up.
    Most were happy with that until it arrived on the fast line going full pelt leaving them all in the cold to then find their way home.
    No doubt on board passengers were given there seats after the faulty coaches were removed.
    There were several angry faces that were disappointed not to be told the truth and were delayed further.

Mike

13. green five

Looking at the updates on the WSR Org site earlier today there are pictures showing the Rail tour arriving at Minehead in the dark.
    Also read that the passengers for the Dunster Carol Service had to leave the tour at Bishops Lydeard to catch the Buses taking them to the Carol Service. :eek:
    I wonder what this cost to get them from Dunster to Bishops Lydeard as originally the Buses were only taking the passengers from Dunster station.

14. green five

Very sad for those waiting. It's not the first time that has happened. I was on a CE with 30777 in charge and we hammered through a pick-up station in London at 60mph. I was talking to a CE steward at the time who was very shocked after stating a few minutes earlier that he would have to go and unbolt the doors. I never found out what happened to the passengers.

I have also been on the Platform when I thought a Railtour I was travelling on was going to go straight through.
    We were waiting for a Daylight Railtour hauled by 60009 at Aldershot some years ago. Aldershot was always a popular pick-up point on the MHR trips so there was a fairly big crowd waiting on the Station.
    A chime whistle in the distance told us that No. 9 was on her way up the hill to the station. Then around the bend she came, the regulator opened wide like the mouths of the passengers waiting on the platform as she stormed past us. Fortunately the guard alerted the driver in time and the train was stopped before the signal at the other end of the station and passengers boarded with much relief. Apparently the schedule given to the Driver didn't show Aldershot as a pick-up point. :rolleyes:

15. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Its not unknown for scheduled service trains to miss stops! In this case however its clearly a lack of communication between all parties, poor communication is something the tour operators and TOC are all equally guilty of in spades.

16. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Trust you to know a 37 can't produce 17,500 hp Ralph! LOL!

;)

17. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Now now, I was only showing that I recognise the difference between a 47 and a 37. Hang on a minute should I even be admitting that I am aware of that difference. :(

KentYeti and staffordian like this.
  18. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

Several years ago in the summer months, we were accelerating through Twyford on the up main, and we approached our booked stop to drop off passengers at Maidenhead at too high a speed under clear signals. The driver must have realised his mistake and the brakes were hastily applied and the train stopped but with only the last 2 coaches in the platform - eek!!

19. springers

springers Member

Now retired,used to be at sea and later worked in
    I was on that trip and I think you'll find it was the guard who applied the brakes,we were running neck & neck with a Freightliner on the slow line at the time.

Colin.

20. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

It would be very interesting to see what SD have said to the people who were left behind.