If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cathedrals Express to Carlisle 17/03/18

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by iancawthorne, Mar 17, 2018.

1. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

I understand from a post elsewhere they were struggling to get water into the loco at Carnforth.

2. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Looks like they were looped at Grayrigg for the Glasgow, Edinburgh and TPE whereas last week if I remember, the Edinburgh and TPE were running late. so that means 40 late at Carlisle instead of 20 and a late start back is inevitable.

Actually, 2 hours 50 running time from Carlisle to Farington is good going in the conditions. It looks as if the unit from Clitheroe to Man Vic has been retimed to run maybe 10 mins later. That helps enormously. On last autumn's schedule they would probably have been stuck behind it at Whalley.

3. DWH 2848

DWH 2848 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Very good Ian...positively springlike (by comparison...)

iancawthorne likes this.
  4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I agree. Another good job well done by Galatea and crews yesterday. And by the way, has anyone counted the number of West Coast steam crews out and about in the north west yesterday? Start with Drivers Rawling, Kelly, Kirk and Smith on the High Peak. Add the Cath Ex. Is it any wonder that Vintage Trains charters have fallen off the edge with them?

No other TOC can do this in 2018. I don't carry a flag for West Coast any more than any other TOC but yesterday's turn out was remarkable. And there I was at Birmingham on the way home listening to a last minute announcement about a cancelled BHM to SHR service because they were one crew member short. How lucky we are on the steam charter side of things.

5. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    It was a tad wild Ian :)