If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

CATHEDRALS EXPRESS LONDON - YEOVIL - WEYMOUTH 9 JULY

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Andover, Jul 3, 2012.

1. eco082007

eco082007 Member Account Suspended

Group Compensation and Benefits Advisor, Bath
    Sounds like the stuff of a perfect night's sleep, albeit with a potential rude awakening. Hopefully by this time tomorrow the situation will look a whole lot better.

2. eco082007

Hopefully it won't come to that but it'll be much appreciated I'm sure if you're able to help rescue the situation as suggested. If it does come to this, maybe an earlier path to Southampton could be found, (before the peak), with an earlier arrival back at Waterloo. Just a thought.

3. eco082007

Latest statement from National Rail website re Yeovil to Weymouth is below. Hopefully with no trains on Sunday they are hoping to go all out to reopen the line on Monday. Feeling sorry for Weymouth Seaside Express Passengers meanwhile. I'm guessing that train will be cancelled.

"The line between Yeovil Pen Mill and Weymouth will remain closed until the end of service today Saturday 07th July.

Due to severe flooding at Yetminster First Great Western is not able to operate a train service between Yeovil Pen Mill and Weymouth on Sunday 08th July. Replacement road transport cannot operate between Yeovil Pen Mill and Weymouth and we advise for passengers not to travel for stations between Yeovil Pen Mill and Weymouth."

4. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    If the Yeovil-Dorchester line remains closed, I think that a revised Waterloo-Salisbury-Yeovil Jc-Salisbury-Waterloo itinerary would be the most likely option.

5. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I might give the SD mobile a call later to see if it has been updated about tommorrow unless anyone on here has already done this?

6. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Good man there! Lets hope that very positive spirit is universal.

7. eco082007

Ive just done this and there is no info regarding tomorrow, only a recording that states their next tour is to Weymouth on 9 July etc etc. I left a message requesting any changes to tomorrow that are known in advance be either posted on their website, or tweeted using their @on_train Twitter ID. Also left my phone number for any updates they may have. If I do hear anything I will share on here.

8. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

NR web site now shows London trains terminating at Yeovil Junction again, presumably the Tisbury floods have subsided!

9. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Very helpful, many thanks. I would guess that Steam Dreams will post something somewhere this evening in these days of instant communication. But only when they know what has changed. If anything!

I plan to leave home early tomorrow and obviously want to keep my group of 16 updated tonight before they start out for London from a wide range of places. Like almost everyone else on board tomorrow.
    I am encouraged that Waterloo trains are now going through to Yeovil Junction again after the Tisbury flooding.

My recollection of Yeovil Junction is that where the specials are berthed should not interfere with the London trains if they are still terminating there tomorrow?

Waiting to see if Tangmere gets there and turns OK. All this better than watching a Scot at Wimbledon, especially after an Englishman won a final there last night!

10. eco082007

Absolutely. I'm sure they won't know anything until this evening at best. Encouraging that trains have started running to YJ again though. My money is definitely on the tour terminating there and returning via Salisbury, Romsey and Redbridge, before picking up booked path at Southampton UGL. I gather approx 40 passengers have plans to leave the CE at YJ anyway.

I'm sure we'll get steam somewhere on the southern tomorrow. I'd be far more worried if it was the Waterloo to Basingstoke section effected so I'm defintely letting my glass stay half full at the moment !

Who knows, we may also have a double British sporting victory to celebrate tomorrow if Murray AND Hamilton come up trumps today. Take your point re the "dour Scot" though, and a great shame that an Englishman's success at Wimbledon hasn't got the attention it warrented by the wider media? Something tells me they will have reclassified him Scottish by this evening.

11. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Most helpful, many thanks.

12. eco082007

No worries. I've also tweeted @ClanLine28 in case they know anything at this stage. An earlier tweet by @nationalrailenq suggested YJ to EXD will be open tomorrow which if there had been an issue with stabling a charter at Yeovil J with service trains turning round, will mean that shouldn't exist tomorrow all being well.

13. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The WOE line is closed (West of Yeovil) until at least Wednesday

14. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

While it's closed to rebuilt the track bed perhaps they could move on to Honiton bank and sort out the bridge clearance. And as they have just had the flood problem at Crewkerne maybe they could also sort the issue at Hardington Sidings.:flypig:

15. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

A squadron of those have just flown past here too...

16. eco082007

Well the @ClanLine28 people have just tweeted back to me saying they haven't heard of any changes to booked itinerary yet, (with emphasis on the Y word I suspect). Unfortunately, its looking as hard to predict as the lottery numbers at present.(well maybe not that hard).

17. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

Will find out later and post accordingly

18. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Oh well. Just turn up at Waterloo and find out on the train. Maybe no one will know until tomorrow.

It's a very fluid situation. (Sorry).

19. eco082007

Steam Dreams have just tweeted they know nothinl

20. ROGace

ROGace Member

FGW update 21.04hrs Line problem: between Yeovil Pen Mill and Weym... Owing to flooding between Yeovil Pen Mill and Weymouth all lines are blocked UFN.

SD tweet 11 mins ago
    As stated earlier, we can confirm that tomorrow's trip from Waterloo to Weymouth will depart from Waterloo at 9.55 as planned (Good news)

the main a37 roads from yeovil to dorchester still blocked tonight and a35 from bridport to dorchester also closed still. (also blocked from the Dorchester end)
    minor roads into and around Dorchester and Weymouth are still blocked.

I live at Dorchester and its been a difficult for people getting around due to the road flooding let alone drive to weymouth so support services like coal and blues and twos to get to weymouth maybe difficult but it is all drying out.

shame tangmere could not get to the seaside today but at least the punters had a day out in the countryside.

Hope Clan Line gets here tomorrow ok.
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/additional_info/Gillingham2.JPG (WoE mainline)

BTW
    we have had a sunny lovely day today after 2 days of torrential rain!