If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Camcorder LCD Screen Hood

Discussion in 'Photography' started by acw71000, Aug 25, 2009.

1. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

Anyone who has difficulty with bright sunshine on their LCD screen may be interested in this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV6hI7B1F1k

I made one from fairly thick card and it works very well. Although the video and the patterns are designed for the Canon HV20/30/40 cameras I would think it could be easily adapted for others. The pattern is available here;

www.fold3d.com

2. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Not sure how long it would last getting wet though, one session a up Shap and it's time to make another....

3. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

Quite agree Ralph but you wouldn't be needing it in those circumstances would you!!! The Canon HV20/20/40 forum also shows you how to make a DIY rain cover too using strong clear plastic bags. What we need is someone to invent a windproof brolly that you can attach to yourself without having to hold on to it leaving you free to operate the camera...or am I getting into the realms of fantasy here Wilson???

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I thought on Shap strong sun and horizontal rain were often only minutes apart....
    Now about the umbrella, if you invest in one of these you only need one hand to work the camera and can use the other to hold the brolly.
    http://www.cameragrip.co.uk/acatalog/varizoom_vzrock_lanc_remote.html
    I bought one second hand and it's brilliant, clamps on the pan handle, so you can do everything with just one hand, the zoom works from the slowest crawl up to, well, zoom.... on-off, start and stop recording etc, and you keep dryish under the brolly as well.
    The windproof brolly, I have seen one somewhere that has a loose flappy bit in the middle, so when the wind gets under it, this bit lifts to let the air out, but then the flap drops back down keeping the rain out...:-k

5. Mike30A

Mike30A Well-Known Member

spending the kids inheritance
    Have downloaded the info re screen cover, but cant find the info on the forum about the rain cover -- probably another one of my senior moments !!
    Have you got a link Austin? Thanks

6. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

That device looks very good Ralph, must look out for a second hand one. Apologies Mike, it was me having the senior moment, the link was from the HV20 forum to this one;

http://pana3ccduser.com/showthread.php?t=18085&highlight=oven

I haven't tried this as yet but it looks ok, a bit Heath Robinson and probably won't withstand a Shap gale and downpour !!!!