If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cambrian Heritage Railways at Llynclys.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by 45669, Sep 4, 2014.

1. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Afternoon All,

On my way home from North Wales last month, I called in at Llynclys Station to have a cup of tea and a look round. I took a few pictures and these are now on Flickr; here's the link if anyone would like to have a look :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/sets/72157646638856318/

Hope that they are of interest.

84H and HY_4273 like this.
  2. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Very interesting, so as I understand it, they are at the south end working north and the other lot are working the other way to meet in the middle?

3. 45669

Retired
    From chatting to one of the staff at Llynclys, I gathered that the plan is to run right through to Gobowen and apart from the bit north of Llynclys South station to the other side of Llynclys Junction, the track is all still in situ. They are waiting for a Transport and Works Order before they can get on with the job of extending the train service. They also have plans to reopen part of the old Tanat Valley line as far as Blodwell Junction and again, I gather that the track is still in situ and has recently been cleared. Perhaps I'll have a closer look next time I'm passing that way.

Pity they can't reopen the Tanat Valley line right through to Llangynog!

4. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Lovely pictures Ron and many thanks for sharing them. Once the order is in place more things can happen and hopefully there will be a boost to the working membership. There are currently some steam operating days at Oswestry and the overhaul of Oliver owned by the group is coming along.

HY_4273 likes this.
  5. HY_4273

HY_4273 New Member

Editor
    Many thanks to Ron 45699 for sharing his excellent photos – and also for adding to them to the Official CHR Flickr Group. I will answer both his and Corbs' points in detail below.

Corbs wrote:
    “Very interesting, so as I understand it, they are at the south end working north and the other lot are working the other way to meet in the middle?”

…I’m glad you enjoyed Ron’s photos Corbs :) However, it’s an all too common misconception that there are still two Cambrian groups – but at the same time, I appreciate it’s a confusing picture on the face of it. The once rival Oswestry-based Cambrian Railways Society (CRS) and Llynclys-based Cambrian Railways Trust (CRT) actually came back together on November 20, 2009 when members voted almost unanimously at their respective EGMs to bring the two organisations together – there being just one abstention. This resulted in the creation of a new umbrella body, Cambrian Heritage Railways (CHR). The CRS & CRT still exist in legal forms for a number of reasons, but they are perhaps what might be described as ‘shadow’ organisations. Members now belong to CHR and the sites are marketed as such.

Therefore, to answer your query, there is no “other lot” and no “meeting in the middle,” as it were, because the railway is being restored by a single body in the shape of CHR.

Ron 45699 wrote:
    "From chatting to one of the staff at Llynclys, I gathered that the plan is to run right through to Gobowen and apart from the bit north of Llynclys South station to the other side of Llynclys Junction, the track is all still in situ. They are waiting for a Transport and Works Order before they can get on with the job of extending the train service. They also have plans to reopen part of the old Tanat Valley line as far as Blodwell Junction and again, I gather that the track is still in situ and has recently been cleared. Perhaps I'll have a closer look next time I'm passing that way.

…Current plans envisage a ‘community railway’ operation between Oswestry and Gobowen, with heritage services concentrated on the section south to Llynclys, Porthywaen and Blodwell. CHR is working in partnership with key stakeholders, including both Shropshire Council and the Shropshire Wildlife Trust. The TWAO is a long and costly process – the preparation work for which has been underway for some time. This has included not only paperwork but also what is termed ‘stakeholder engagement.’

Earlier this year CHR acquired a vital piece of land at Gobowen, which once formed part of the coal yard. This will provide the new-build platform for CHR trains. The press release I issued at the time and some photos can be found on my Flickr stream at:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/14627018@N00/sets/72157640185360524/

The track is intact as you say, although there is a missing section at Dolgoch, which is in effect a housing estate between Llynclys and Porthywaen on the A495. This was stolen when the line was still part of the national network. From there, the track is in place to Blodwell (the A495 Llansanffraid road over bridge). Some rolling stock is located here, which is owned by both CHR and its members.

The concrete platform survives at Porthywaen on the Oswestry side of the level crossing. This 2009 view on my Flickr stream gives you an idea: https://www.flickr.com/photos/14627018@N00/3633565824/in/set-72157619818282288 .

Had my brother Alun still been with us, he would have gladly shown you around, as he did with Jim Hewett of FR Heritage Group among many others.

Ron 45699 added:
    "Pity they can't reopen the Tanat Valley line right through to Llangynog!"

…I know only too well what you mean Ron. During a past life, I was fortunate to drive Tanat Valley Coaches’ D79 bus route between Llangynog and Oswestry, so have experienced the view ‘over the hedges,’ as it were. At the risk of going off on a tangent, the D79, together with the D74 – the modern day replacement for the Potts Line – between Llanymynech and Shrewsbury, were my two favourite routes, both for the scenery and the friendly passengers. Anyway, there are those amongst the CHR membership who would dearly love to see trains return west beyond Blodwell but realistically, it’s unlikely to happen in the near future. Frankly, we have enough on our hands to keep us busy for a good number of years yet – but that doesn’t stop us looking to the future, however.

Anyway, I hope this is of interest :)
    Gareth Evans,
    CHR Press Officer

nick813, jnc, Corbs and 2 others like this.
  6. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Thank you Gareth, that makes a lot of sense. I see now that the only missing link in the trackbed is at Llynclys - is the current householder in support of the railway?

Also, at Blodwell Junction, google maps shows quite a bit of track and some wagons - is this part of the CHR?

7. 45669

Retired
    Thanks for your comprehensive details Gareth. The Tanat Valley has been the Ffestiniog Railway London Area Group's route to and from Wales since the early 1960s so I have been over the railway bridge at Llynclys more time than I care to remember. It was always my intention to stop and have a closer look at the level crossing at Porthywaen and one day, some years ago now, I actually did. To my surprise, I found that there was a platform hidden under all the greenery! Despite having been over that crossing countless times, I had no idea that there was a station there!

In more recent times, of course, the clearance work made it more obvious. Also, I have recently bought a copy of the book on the Tanat Valley Light Railway and was surprised to find that Porthywaen had also been a junction with a signal box and all the trimmings, not to mention a one time narrow gauge tramway as well! Next time I'm on my way to or from Wales I shall stop and have a closer look round - with the Tanat Valley book and an old OS map for company.

8. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

9. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Can anyone tell us who owns the short stretch of trackbed between Llynclys Jct and Llynclys South? This clearly stops any attempts to join the southern section to the northern. It's interesting that the TWAO does not include the southern stretch beyond Llynclys South, but instead the track heading west and south west towards Blodwel.

10. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It is, or was part of the station house property, at one time owned by a member of the railway, who also owned several GWR locos. I believe that he since sold the property (He also sold the locos) and is no longer involved with the project(s).

Felix Holt likes this.
  11. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

So, do we assume the new owner is anti-railway, or are the Cambrian biding their time for this stretch?

12. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sorry I don't know - presumably the railway are in contact with the new owners.

Felix Holt likes this.
  13. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    The answer is the same to the same question you asked back in March 2015 on the Oswestry Update thread.

The property is still privately owned and there is regular contact. As there are many obstacles to overcome before this section is needed for linking up it is a bit premature, but if anyone wins the lottery and wants to help please get in contact.

A copy of what went before is below

"The Chairman states

"The section of line between Llynclys Jn and South is not covered by the TWAO for a number of reasons,
    1) There is no need for it to be. A TWAO is only needed to cross rights of way or establish other powers, the section from the Junction to the road bridge does not need this. As a result it can be operated as a railway without a TWAO.
    2) Had the section been included it would have attracted "new works" fee as part of the TWAO process. "

ilvaporista, Mar 16, 2015 Edit Report

TommyD, nick813 and 45669 like this.
  14. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Crikey - you expect me to remember something on here from 18 months ago!! :oops:

ilvaporista likes this.
  15. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    My children try me all the time with that... "Don't you remember that you promised me 'X' last year".... Even for an over 50 I still have a good memory...

Felix Holt likes this.
  16. Railboy

Railboy New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    A few kilometres further the tanat valley railway is proceeding with its plans. It really didnt't fell asleep according to their facebook group.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/441838685877708
    They've received new old vehicles.

Let's make the railway in this region great again!

17. garth manor

garth manor Well-Known Member

3 different sections in the hands of preservationists, miles apart, and the preserved main line connection at Gobowen still further off, a massive task remains but there seems to be slow but steady progress, however not a mainstream attraction unfortunately, maybe another 20/30 years to complete ?