If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bure Valley Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by andrewshimmin, Jul 5, 2018.

1. clementi

clementi New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's definitely wider - about three inches each side and I think shaped a little higher to match. BVR 8 has been coal fired for some time and remains so - it has always been a capable engine on coal. The modifications are expected to stop it shuttling the train now it has balanced flyweights, and it is expected to "breathe" more easily and efficiently with the improvements to valve gear and steam circuit. The big hope is that it will have more punch with a heavy train. BVR 7 after early improvements in 2002 went from a power output of around 35hp to around 80hp! It's hoped BVR 8 will touch 90hp.

2. clementi

clementi New Member

Quite a few people have said the same.

Hicks19862 likes this.
  3. clementi

clementi New Member

BVR 8 John Of Gaunt on loaded test run at Hautbois loop, Saturday 18th January. It's showing real improvements in the quality of ride, and also the power available. Sign up to BVR Supporters on FB for more pics and videos.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    ykin01, Hicks19862 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  4. 5944

5944 Well-Known Member

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    If the BVR are in the market for a new loco, this should be ready in a couple of years.

[​IMG]

Posted by The Steam Channel. A 15" gauge UP 9000, currently being constructed in the US. You might need a bigger turntable though...

Dag Bonnedal, MuzTrem, 30854 and 5 others like this.
  5. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Out of curiosity, how did you measure that?

Tom

6. 242A1

242A1 Member

Full instrumentation. See the Steam Loco Design website.

7. clementi

clementi New Member

Ian Gaylor who led Steam Locomotive Design was a driver at BVR until last year. His site explains quite a lot about the development of BVR 9 and 6 with the new cylinders. The recent work by CME Bob King has been to try and improve things without the expense of new cylinders and also take into account all that was learnt from Ian and the BVR engineers. I have seen the cylinder diagrams which were taken in 2002 and the more recent ones, (hugely improved) but I'm not sure of the technicalities of measurements. I know the recent tests a year ago were done with a lap top in the cab and at constant speed of 18mph.
    upload_2020-1-18_22-28-33.png

8. clementi

clementi New Member

The new valve gear and cylinder improvements on No.7 Spitfire have been wholly successful. However on test in January 2019 it was felt that not enough steam is available for power when notched up. At 30% there is very little "pull" and the cylinder diagrams show that. The steam chest area is only 688 cubic cm compared with 5886 cubic cm on 6 & 9 (new cylinders). This is felt to be the problem. As the steam chest can't be enlarged, Bob King's idea was to extend the steam chest area into the steam feed pipe with a high capacity type of plenum chamber. This is being trialled on No.8 and results are looking good. On a six coach test train last week 8 accelerated away at 30% with no problem which neither it or 7 would do before. The photos show the pipe before welding and compared with the old one.

Attached Files: