If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bulleid Pacifics - Past or Present

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 34007, May 13, 2008.

1. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy

2. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

which is best that depends on the coal, the state of the boiler, ie if she is due a wash out, she might not steam so well from experience bodmin steamed on next to nothing, where as swanage liked a heaver fire , but no two engines are the same, the un rebuilts are a lot hotter in the cab, or at the time felt like it
    the MN,s needed a bigger fire, but once it started to super heat raise steam very easy swanage was fitted with a damper, i am not sure if she had one originally or if this was an modification we did ourselves as regards the engines that have left the mid hants, what has become of these, is 35018 still at portland

3. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

Still it's progress and worth highlighting. Can't wait for her to be rolled out and helping to fill the gap left by Blackmoor Vale

Anyone know where it's tender is?

4. James

James Part of the furniture

A few feet away! The tender has been complete for several years, and is fitted with a 5,250 gallon tank.

5. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

I think this is the current position?

34007 Operational on the Mid Hants Railway
    34023 Now out of service on the Bluebell Railway
    34028 Operational, working on the Swanage Railway
    34046 Expected to be back in service on the West Somerset railway in July/August 2008
    34059 Due for completion in late 2008/early 2009 on the Bluebell Railway. Just passed first boiler test
    34067 Operational, at Southall and working on the main line until sometime in 2009
    34070 Due for completion soon, then working on the Swanage Railway this summer
    34081 Failed boiler exam and now waiting repair at North Norfolk Railway
    35006 Possibly the next MN back in service. On the GWR. 2009-2010?
    35028 Operational, at Stewarts Lane and mainly working the VSOE.

6. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Can’t wait to see the first rebuilt Battle of Britain to steam again in preservation. It’s been over forty two years since she was withdrawn from BR service in May 1966.

7. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Will 34073 ever steam again? I’ve just been reading this months SR magazine and 249 Squadron will be the only Spam Can not to steam in preservation. Will anyone take this project on or will she be broken up for spare parts.

8. Impala

Impala Member

Project Manager
    There are plenty of people around who would take it on, but the current owners want a lot of money for it.

9. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    As do the owners of "Shaw Savill".

Bit of a shame really for it,s a pity that these owners are so greedy, so why not cut your losses in these bad financial times to see these Loco,s steaming again.

Or would you rather see them rot and rust away to nothing just fir an extra few pieces of silver.

Regards
    Chris Willis

10. Ian Riley

Ian Riley Part of the furniture Loco Owner

Well Chris!

You obviously do not have a very good understanding of loco values, costs and overhaul expense then?

I cannot talk for the owners of 249 squadron, but with regard to Shaw Saville, which I own, the present retail cost is the same as it was six years ago......how many times have YOU re-mortgaged your house to buy steam loco's?.....I do!

Greedy?.....you live in cloud cuckoo land!.....some of us pay for you to play trains!

11. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    I was reading up about the rebuilds. The book I read stated Bulleid (who had moved to Ireland by the time the rebuilds started) looked on aghast at what "they" had done to "his" locos.
    The cost of the rebuilds was quite high, about two thirds the cost of a new loco and remember the BR Standards were by now in service.
    A former director os the Southern Railway who was now a member of the BRB commented, "Oliver Bulleid cost us a great deal of money, a great deal in deed; but I think we got our money's worth"!

In another book Paul (?) Beevor, suggests there was no need to build those BR Standards. He suggests Black 5s and B1s could have been drafted to the Southern Region and some of Bulleids pacifics could have been sent to the North of England where there was more suitable work for them; two coach trains Exeter to Exmouth is not what they were designed for.
    Hmm... MNs Liverpool - Glasgow or Glasgow - Inverness? WCs instead of Jubilees on the S&C?

12. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

I think Chris was just stating about Shaw Saville and the cost of the overhaul Ian? As for remortgaging a house, I am sure that isn't needed with the return you get for running you're loco's on the mainline. And I think it is a choice that people decide to make - Not forced!

You sold Tangemere - Well fair enough - but in my humble opinion - Huge Mistake!! Why not put you're money from what you made from Tangmere in doing Shaw Saville up to running standard - And then look at the responses you get for you're efforts......

13. cct man

CONSTRUCTION

14. Ian Riley

Ian Riley Part of the furniture Loco Owner

I take your point about re-mortgaging.

However Ian what,s the alternative to seeing "Shaw Savill" just rusting away?, I don,t confess to being an engineer nor am I a Loco man but you have the wrong impression my friend if you think I am in this just to play trains.
    [/quote:14r23qj0]

Well hang on… you accused me of being greedy?… if you are that concerned about it, I suggest put your money where your mouth is and I will do you the best deal I possibly can within my means.

15. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    I take your point about re-mortgaging.

However Ian what,s the alternative to seeing "Shaw Savill" just rusting away?, I don,t confess to being an engineer nor am I a Loco man but you have the wrong impression my friend if you think I am in this just to play trains.
    [/quote:szhih9tx]

Well hang on… you accused me of being greedy?… if you are that concerned about it, I suggest put your money where your mouth is and I will do you the best deal I possibly can within my means.[/quote:szhih9tx]

I would gladly offer you the same as you were offered on E-Bay.

Regards
    Chris

16. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Am I alone in thinking 'this is getting silly?'

Even the non-experts know that restoring a locomotive to main line running order is a long, expensive, complicated and stressful task. I have no idea what the cost/benefit analysis is for such an event, but i'm sure anything beyond a break-even point is a bonus well deserved for the loco owner/s. I've read enough threads on here to also understand that its not just funding that stops overhauls from taking place, but that space and time is a major factor too.

Lets not forget that without the entrepreneurial spirit of some individuals a few of these loco's wouldn't be giving the majority so much pleasure when they are released from the confines of heritage railways into their natural environment.

End of rant. Keep up the good work Mr Riley.

17. 60017

MN's Liverpool - Glasgow, nice thought :) As a kid spotting I remember the hysteria when 35012 arrived in Carnforth off the Leeds line on a special in 1964. She was turned and then headed off over Shap; put in a spectacular performance if memory serves. For most of us it was our first 'southern pacific' and we loved it !

18. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Chris,

When you searched on ebay for "Merchant Navy" you should have applied a filter restricting your search to "00" Gauge.. I guarentee that way you will find more than one for sale.

I think anyone on this forum would offer £8k for a Bulleid, but most of us dont have the £400k to see it to the other end and quite sensibily dont go shouting off dreaming about it, especially to someone who has done more for preservation than you have.

If you were serious, maybe you could swap your house for 35009 as bascially thats what Ian said he needed to do... and to me that deserves some respect.

19. 60017

HEAR HEAR !! =D>

20. chessie

chessie Member

Here's a new can of worms - given the present economic climate, which I think is here for the long term, I wonder how many railways will be able to afford to run locos such as a Merchant Navy? The economics must be marginal, to say the least.