If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bulleid Pacifics - Past or Present

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 34007, May 13, 2008.

1. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Correct. However as the hippopotamus charges along the Arriva Trains Wales/FGW network, Sir Frederick Pile is the closest!

2. James

James Part of the furniture

http://wsr.org.uk/news.htm#0918

3. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    So I take it that its not regularly used on the WSR? It's been used at the galas, but I suppose that's no indication of whether it gets everyday use.

4. underhound

underhound New Member

Does anybody know if all the tenders attached to Bulleid pacifics were rebuilt, or did any remain in their origianl form as built ie high sided.....i really have got to much time on my hands! thanks.

5. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A number did remain 'high-sided' to the end, for example 34072 was never attached to a cut down tender in BR service.

6. underhound

underhound New Member

thanks for that info Rumpole.will think of something else to ask soon!.

7. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

I'm just wondering if they are holding back from running her too much so that her milage stays down before she goes mainline? Just a thought..... :-k

8. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    according to WSR website, they are going to use her more often.

I would imagine they have been running her in slowly, and sorting out any defects.. Which is what Eastleigh overhauls in BR days did, stopping services Elgh to Bournemouth?

9. 34007

Very sensible as she will eventually be going mainline! Does anyone know when all this is going to be taking place?

10. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    No doubt we'll hear in due course. Reeling the thread back a bit, 34069 Hawkinge, 34072 257 Squadron, 34074 46 Squadron, 34078 222 Squadron and 34080 74 Squadron retained high-sided tenders until withdrawal.

11. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    Yes, lovely job they were..Spent all the time digging out the coal from the tender sides, to get to th :smt010 e fire irons :smt019

12. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    That could have been easily solved with the addition of a sheet of steel linking the top of the raves with the top of the coal bunker. You'd still have the fire iron space, and the view down the tender. Its amazing what retrospect can turn up...

13. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    It's been a great year for fans of Bulleid pacifics (and I must be one of many on this forum) with 34046, 34059 and 34070 all launched into service within the last 12 months.

As far as I can make out from various sources, 35006 may be the next Bulleid in traffic, ready in about a year's time, and I think Southern Locomotives said somewhere that if funds come in, 34053 could also be complete next year.

These look like the only restorations from Barry condition that will be finished for quite a while, although a number of engines that have already had one or more spells of service in preservation are already being overhauled, or overhaul is about to start - 34027, 34039, 34072, 34092, 34101 and 35027 are all in this category, and there is hope that 34105 may go on this list in the not too distant future.

Seeing 34059 last Saturday made me think - no less than 16 of these decidedly complex machines have already been restored from scrapyard condition to working order - an incredible feat and all those involved deserve our thanks. Even early restorations like 34016 and 34092, where the locos were bought fairly intact were complex enough. When I think how awful 34046 looked like 13 years ago when I saw it shortly after its arrival at the West Somerset Railway and how magnificent it now looks, it is hard to believe that it is the same engine.

I guess 7 working examples ought to be enough to satisfy anyone, but I would nonetheless welcome any informed news as to which are likely to be the next Bulleids in traffic and approximately when. Progress on 35027 would be particularly welcome. Another main line "Merchant", particularly if restored to the same high standard that has characterised 35028, would be a very exciting prospect.

14. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    I for one also wish to congratulate the Bulleid owners for providing me with hours of fun on the various railways where I have had a ride behind one. Its amazing to think that only one 'Light Pacific' remains to see restoration (34051 Winston Churchill technically never needed restoration, and its not going out into the 'real' world anyway...) to steamable condition, as most of the others are in the pipeline.

I suppose the next unrestored MN to see service after 35006 Peninsular and Oriental S.N.Co. will be 35025 Brocklebank Line, but I think that's a long way in the future after their upheaval a few years ago. 35011 General Steam Navigation's owning group has stated that they would like to start restoration, but things have gone quiet since they moved from the WSR to Sellindge. Then there's 35010 Blue Star, the owning group of which has started a fund to get a new right-hand cylinder cast. 35009 Shaw Savill looks as though it may get restored if it isn't sold prior to the completion of Mr. Riley's 44871. That leaves 35018 British India Line, the restoration of which seems to have been put on the back burner, and 35022 Holland-America Line, the boiler of which is being used in 35027 Port Line's overhaul. A replacement firebox for Port Line's boiler has not been ruled out, just that repair of the current one is uneconomic, which means that there is still a chance that 35022 could be restored in its own right in future. I think that's the current state of play regarding the Merchant Navy locomotives, but there are bound to be people who know more about what's going on. But this is probably is the best time to be a Bulleid fanatic!

15. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    I totally agree with your sentiments John. Full credit to the owners, in restoring these wonderful machines to full working order, even though in some case it has taken some 40+ years. Also credit, must go out to Dai Woodhams, whom put these locos aside for preservation, whilst he, carried on scrapping of wagons.

This will probably not happen in my lifetime, but I would hope, that 35011 will eventually be restored. She was another good engine that I worked on, a good engine for steaming, and pulling power. I would also like to see 35009, 35018, 35022, and 35025 restored. But its parts, and expense, probably against restoration

16. yec2521

yec2521 New Member

rebuilt merchant navies what more is there to say. god's own machines. beautiful. have got a picture of british india line after rebuilding (she was the first) and she is the most beautiful thing i've ever seen. might be biased my dad alan prestidge was a fireman at nine elms. 70 A FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!

17. 34007

I agree there! 70A rules! I wonder when 35018 will be made a start on? :-k

18. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Hi Andy there was a reasonable mount of work done on her many years ago at Ropley. From memory there was some work done on the axle boxes and the cladding sheets/bands were also made for her. I can’t remember what else was made for the loco but there was a group of people working on the loco back in the 80s. Just a shame that the owner couldn't come to an agreement with the MHR

19. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

A set of motion was made. It is a pity that such a historical loco does not look likely to return to steam soon, but as has been said before; how many railways really need Class 8 Pacifics for day-to-day running?

20. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Well, you could put it another way, such as how many museums in the south of Britain are missing 8P express passenger locomotives? I suppose it would help if we (as a nation) build an NRM outreach museum in the south along the lines of STEAM at Swindon. Might be a good thing to re-consider if KRS have to pull out of Eastleigh for any reason...