If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bulleid Pacifics - Past or Present

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 34007, May 13, 2008.

1. southernman

southernman Well-Known Member

Don't get confused with the boiler that is at Bridgnorth at the moment, as that belongs to 34010 Sidmouth.
    The wheels are slowly being painted at the moment. They were in primer/ undercoat on the weekend so maybe top coat within the next few weeks.
    The new cylinder is on the frames and has been since before Christmas.

2. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Thanks Southernman - Any progress on her boiler, Firebox and Smokebox?

3. southernman

Simply, No idea.
    But I will ask over Easter weekend about progress...

4. 34007

many thanks - Be great to find out...

5. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    34027 is one restored Bulleid I only just missed out on. It had the problem with the LH cylinder when I went to the SVR for the first time in May 2005, and was simmering in Bridgnorth yard. This is one that I am keeping an eye on for a future 'reunion', and maybe I'll be lucky enough to have a ride. The other previously restored Bulleids due for overhaul that I'd like to have a round trip behind include 34016 (eventually), 34023 (if the firebox is eventually repaired, as it was not in steam when I was on the Bluebell in 2003), 34039, 34092 and 34105. 33001 would be nice if its ever overhauled again, whilst I've yet to experience a trip behind any 'Merchant Navy' class locomotive. Some of them are previous 'cops', but there is a world of difference between ticking them off and having a ride.

6. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

I agree with your comments Keith. With the MHR the flagship loco was 34016 (and still is with many people) although this will probably change if she is moved away. 35005 is now considered the railways "flagship" loco but you could argue that in a few years time it will be the Black 5 45379 as this will be out working and gaining publicity for the MHR long before 35005 returns to working order. Also the timetable leaflets have had S15's (or something similar) on the front for the last couple of years which is rather odd seeing as none of them are currently running.

7. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Judging from the 2007 leaflet, the locomotive on the front is a Maunsell mogul if it still hasn't changed, the N class.

8. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

I would say that Swanage's current flag ship loco is Manston. It was 257 Squadron before she went out of ticket.

9. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    I'm beginning to agree with you there, especially looking at the photograph of it in the Railway Magazine at Corfe Castle next to the M7. It really is an atmospheric location, and we are lucky that we are still able to enjoy it...

10. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    It's slipped off the radar a bit, and it's been almost two years since any news has been posted on their website, but does anyone know how 34058 Sir Frederick Pile is doing on the Avon Valley Railway? Last I heard they were taking their time collecting all the small bits and pieces in preparation for the eventual rebuilding. There's always the 'It'll be ready when its ready' mantra, but it is nice to know what progress has been made in two years...

11. James

James Part of the furniture

34046 "Braunton" is rostered to run on the WSR on Wednesday 22nd April according to wsr.org.uk. She is down to haul the first departure, the 10.15 from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard, and will presumably remain on this diagram for the whole day, resulting in two round trips.

12. 34007

This seems to be the latest update on 34058 - http://www.34058.co.uk/Latest%20Update.htm

So I wonder if anyone has any more recent photos as this update is about a year and a half out of date....

13. 34007

14. James

The boiler was "done" years ago. As for the shed, the Avon Valley Railway own it, so not likely.

15. southernman

Now was the boiler just painted or actually restored?

16. James

Detubed, shotblasted, and given a coat of aluminium paint. What you class that as, I don't know.

17. 34007

Is there much more left to be done to the boiler?

18. southernman

Whats the state of the firebox both inner and outer, all the stays, thermic syphons, foundation ring, tubeplates and problems with the boiler barrels if any.
    A detube, shotblasting and a preserative paint is one way of keeping the boiler especially when stored out side.

19. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    I class it as preventative maintenance. The dearth of information might be down to lack of volunteers, funds or both. I wish I lived in Bristol, although living in West Wales, I believe that this is my nearest Bulleid. I'd certainly volunteer my services if I could get to Bitton in reasonable time, and if I had the money to spare, I'm sure I'd bung them a few quid.

20. James

Braunton's probably closer...as the seagull flies!