If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bulleid Pacifics - Past or Present

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 34007, May 13, 2008.

1. DismalChips

DismalChips Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It would be nice, and even if it nothing were to happen for a while (he's got quite the overhaul queue what with an A2, A4, King and two MNs) at least it would be safe undercover at Margate.

I do wonder though if we rely a bit much on the theoretical bounty of Jeremy Hosking. His Crewe operation is impressive (the open day last year was fascinating, he has a lot going on) but he's acquiring heritage diesels and electrics at a fantastic rate and he must be approaching the capacity of both his facilities and his finances.

Jamessquared likes this.
  2. GWR4707

GWR4707 Resident of Nat Pres

As noted in the most recent SR, he also has a fair bit coming out of ticket over the next couple of years.

3. lil Bear

lil Bear Well-Known Member

Railway Technician
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Is there much that can be swapped between original and rebuilt?

4. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Probably more pertinent to ask "Is there much of what survives that can be swapped between original and rebuilt?" You need new boiler cladding, but I don't suppose much of that survives on 34073!

There's quite a lot of similarity between the two, despite the cosmetic differences. The really significant differences are the inside cylinder, crank axle, motion, reverser. Everything else - including the frames, boiler, boiler fittings, outside cylinders, wheels, bogie, pony truck, tender frame and axles etc. is shared between the two designs.

Tom

S.A.C. Martin likes this.
  5. misspentyouth62

misspentyouth62 Member

afaik 34073 doesn't have a tender. I think in the main we're talking sharing of components such as the boiler between original build 34067 & 34073 although I don't know what condition these two boilers and/or fireboxes are in. Similarly, not sure what plans may exist for 34016 and whether there are intentions to share components from the other two? I would imagine getting 48151 overhauled would be priority over any Bulleids although I am happy to be proven wrong.

Johnme101 and 26D_M like this.