If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bulleid Pacifics - Past or Present

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 34007, May 13, 2008.

1. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

If you look very carefully at this video of 34067 on last December's Bath Christmas Market, which I uploaded at the weekend, you can't quite see the place where they've put the collector shoes. It was a lovely day, and my pals and I got some quite satisfying shots of the old girl. There's lots more of her on Steam Age Pictures Vol. 55.

Gareth likes this.
  2. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    You didn't really think he wanted to vaporise the fireman, did you?

3. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Hi all,

Reading this months Steam Railway Mag. Mr C Olney has asked in Mailbag which Bulleid is he standing on in Woodhams yard. Does anyone know?

Thanks

4. D1004

D1004 New Member

I believe Mr Olney was standing on top of 34070 "Manston"

D1004

5. 73129

Just an update on 34051. Which has now moved to Ropley.

34051.jpg .

6. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    For re-painting I understand, so who is going to do the work then as Duncan is too busy?

Regards
    CW:

7. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    A bit of an update for 35010 'Blue Star' on the BESPS website from last month. It seems that they are fitting a temporary cab floor to allow public access to the footplate, with a donation box and interpretation panel also present, which is always a good idea. See: http://www.besps.org/Progress01.htm

8. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    An entertaining article from the Bluebell Newsletter, and at the end a link to a fascinating photo:

Tom

9. Luke Bridges

Luke Bridges New Member

Sorry, if i seem like i'm jumping in sideways here.

Does anybody have or know of any detail photos of bullied pacific cab doors ?

Seems like an odd question but it is for a 5 inch gauge model project.

Most helpful would be how they folded up, and the hinges.

Thanks, Luke

10. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    After a cursory web search, here are the inside fittings of an unrebuilt MN door:

http://www.clan-line.org.uk/assets/images/CAB.JPG

Don't quote me on this, but I seem to recall they were standardised to be completely square on top, and from what I remember from various footplate rides is that the door, when closed, is secured to small hinge-type lugs on the tender using pins attached to chains. The outside is pretty plain aside from raised bolt/screw heads where the hinges and fittings are attached. I don't think the layout was changed much during rebuilding, either.

11. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Still getting used to the new forum layout...

12. 73129

Maybe of interest to Bulleid fan. Looking around 34051 over the weekend I noticed the connecting rods which are on 34051 were stamped with 21c133 which means they came from 34033 Chard. But the slide bars and cross head are all stamped 34051. I also noticed the left hand side oil pot is also marked up with 34096 Trevone. I wonder if there are any other parts on 34051 that belong to other locos. I assume these parts were swap over at 34051 last major overhaul.

Attached Files:

13. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Does anyone know the latest with 34046 going mainline.... She is still booked on next weeks Rainham - Ely and Return trip on the 25th June? Is this still going ahead? Has she had her mainline test run and loaded test run?

14. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Always worth keeping an eye on uksteam.info as that's usually pretty well up to date regarding what's running. She has had her loaded test run, videos in this thread http://www.national-preservation.co...-and-test-runs-2013.39400/page-26#post-610025 and I'm sure elsewhere you said you'd seen the videos. In the end a lot will depend on NR and the weather as to any steam running at all.

15. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    I've only recently been made aware of the "Icons of Steam" website, which lists all Jeremy Hosking's locos. It was interesting (and good news) to read on the "locos" page http://www.iconsofsteam.com/locomotives/ that 35022 is also being restored for main line working, as well as 35027. Given that 35022 worked the last "ACE", and was known to be a fast engine, it is good to think that it has a better future than merely providing a source of spares for Port Line. I guess it will be a while before we see 35022 on the main line, as 35027 is far more complete (It's got a tender, for starters), but it is still encouraging to see official confirmation that it will steam again one day.

On the subject of MNs, a new update on 35006 has just been posted:- http://www.gwsr.com/enthusiasts/departments/po-restoration-project/progress-reports/2013/june.aspx It looked impressive when I saw it at Toddington during the GRSR gala in May. One chap I spoke to said that with a fair wind, the first steaming could be in October.

Not related to MNs or Bulleids in general, but going back to "Icons of Steam", there's no mention of 35006's fellow-GWSR resident 4270. I thought this was also part of the Hosking fleet. Can anyone explain, please?

16. nickt

nickt Member

17. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    They probably forgot about that one...

18. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think when 35027 and 35022 went to Bury they said 35022 would be looked at for potential restortoration to mainline condition but didn't know that its being worked on already if the website is correct (it says 35027 is under restoration and 35022 under overhaul when it should be the other way round).

Wonder if any works been done on 35027 recently. Last I heard was she swapped tenders with 35005.

19. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    I believe the main issue with 35027 was the firebox, which was getting thin in places. However, with the amount of work done on 34027's 'box, its 'only' a question of money. Despite this, there was the suggestion that 35022's boiler would be used on 35027, but maybe there's since been a change of heart to get the unrestored one done first. A nice surprise would be if both are being worked upon in tandem, but I think that's stretching it a bit!

20. 73129

Today at work I received a photo call from another rail enthusiast asking what's going on with 34051. I told him about the loco being at Ropley for a cosmetic overhaul. He replied by saying I just been listening to a Radio Station which were at the MHR today. The radio persenter said that the MHR are going to overhaul the loco and return the loco back in to working condition. According to the radio program there is now enough money in the pot to return the loco back to steam. I think someone has got their wires crossed. Can anyone confirm this story.

Thanks