If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bulleid 4-DD Preservation

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by maninthecorner, Nov 21, 2015.

1. siquelme

siquelme Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Interesting look project, let hope the group can finally do something positive with the 4DD

Mark Hickmott likes this.
  2. Sawdust

Sawdust Member

I have had to do a lot of research into curved glazing and if necessary can provide contacts for either glass or plastic.

Sawdust.

3. Mark Hickmott

Mark Hickmott New Member

Hi Sawdust, That's great, there are a few left either on but mostly off the unit. There are drawings at NRM for the windows etc, I'm told the plans maybe put on a digital format, so this will help with any future plans. Email me your details at mark.hickmott@yahoo.com and I will put you on my list. Thanks Mark

4. Mark Hickmott

Mark Hickmott New Member

That's my plan, I will update as and when I have any news. Mark

5. Mark Hickmott

Mark Hickmott New Member

Hi All
    I have setup a Yahoo Group Page called: Kent Bulleid 4DD Double Deck EMU Group. This is for anyone who does not have a Facebook Profile and anyone who would like to help the group to save the last one of two Bulleid 4DD EMU units. Please have a look and send your invite to join the group.
    Follow the link: kentbulleid4ddemugroup-subscribe@yahoogroups.co.uk
    Thanks
    Mark

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  6. Constructive suggestion: I know that Fudbook and Yahoo are free, but wouldn't setting up a proper web site look more professional and like you actually mean business?

A suitable .co.uk domain can be bought for less than a tenner for two years, web hosting costs are through the floor and simple authoring tools can be had for nothing or next to nothing. You could be set up nicely for less than £50 initial outlay and it would no doubt help a lot if you are appealing to businesses for sponsorship, etc.

Relying on the freebies like the dreamers and fruitcakes use always risks people mentally putting you into the same bracket. If you want to be taken seriously, look as professional as you can.

Please take this in the positive spirit with which it's intended and good luck.

7. Mark Hickmott

Mark Hickmott New Member

Hello,
    Thank you for your post.
    It's to early to be looking into a web site, but it will be done, once the group has a firm concrete deal on the table.
    We will be meeting the owner in December, (date to be confirmed) but there's a chance he will not sale or be open to a deal.
    So, until we have a contact sign sealed etc, it's to early to go any further than the routes we are using now.
    Please join the Yahoo group page Kent Bulleid 4DD Double Deck EMU group, send an invite and I'll add you to the group.

8. It's your project but, if it was me, way before that meeting I would be wanting to attract as much potential/pledged funding as I could.

If you could show the current owner that you have X amount pledged towards a purchase, so-and-so company has agreed to fund its extraction and movement and Railway X has agreed to host it, he may well be more amenable to a deal than "We've set up a Yahoo and Facebook page and some people are interested."

Certainly those organisations would want you to look as professional as possible NOW in order to take you seriously. It can only be in your best interests. And if you're not open to chucking a few shekels at a web site to make the early stirrings look professional now, how will you cope with the probably hundreds of thousands that buying, housing and restoring the thing will cost?

It's like setting up a new business - which, in effect, you are. Would you rely on Facebook and Yahoo?

But, as I said, it's your project and you evidently know best. Good luck.

9. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    £30k for one of these rot boxes is ludicrous. Better to squirrel the money away and wait for the vehicle to either be evicted or for said stubborn owner to "move on", both of which would trigger the potential for a sale at close to scrap price. Every penny of fund raising would ideally used in the restoration rather than its purchase.

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

10. Mark Hickmott

Mark Hickmott New Member

Hi,
    It's a long way of yet, but we have had a good response from professional railway engineers, ex / current railway workers that have good knowledge and paperwork for the 4DD.
    We have had messages from people in fund raising and grants.
    This situation is very finely balanced, and it will all depend on the visit if the owner will sell or not. I can't say more than that.
    I've told all concerned, that until there is a solid offer to sale or help him, we cannot move forward.
    We are being advised by a member who knows him very well and also runs the site.
    Like I say very finely balanced.
    Thanks for your comments.
    Regards
    Mark

11. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Are there any opportunities for co-operation with the other 4DD group? Reuniting these survivors would be the dream outcome or, since static display is the most realistic prospect, should consideration be given to scrapping one and donating parts to the other ?

12. Mark Hickmott

Mark Hickmott New Member

It's too early to say, It's all down to the owner of the Kent unit. We'll have a meeting in December with the owner and inspect the unit. Until then, and a firm deal on the table, I can't say anymore. But anything may happen. Watch this space.

13. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Thanks for your reply and Good Luck!

14. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    I would like to add the best of luck with your endeavours. Many schemes are suggested each year and many fail to gain momentum, but I genuinely hope you succeed as the vehicles which show Britain's main experience of double deck trains deserve a caring owner and a solid future. Well done for trying to take it on!

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

Mark Hickmott and Martin Perry like this.
  15. 3155

3155 New Member

loco owner
    Hi, I agree that it is worthwhile trying to " preserve" these units, am I missing something? there is little mention of the second one at Northants & Lamport?

16. siquelme

siquelme Well-Known Member

From what I have read on the Facebook group the view is that the Sellindge is the far more important target due to its condition. The one at Northants & Lamport is in decent condition and appears to be well looked after so isnt as time senstive.

17. maninthecorner

maninthecorner New Member

As i have mentioned on the Facebook Group. 13003 is the Kent one and 13004 is the Northampton one both are from unit 4002, so 50per cent of that unit is still in existance.

4002 was origionally formed 13003-13503-13504-13004, and in November 1970 was renumbered to 4902 due to the introduction of the PEP stock. There was only ever two full sets built. The trains were withdrawn on 1st October 1972. They have been out of service a long time.

We really want stories from people who travelled on them in service.

And some questions.

Did they ever do any railtours?
    There is a photo in a recent Modern Locomotives Illustrated that shows 4001 on a photo shoot at Hayward Heath so they did go to places other than Charing Cross to Datford admittedly not in service. Does any one know where else they were seen?
    Were they ever loco halled on delivery or when taken to works,etc?

Dont forget to Follow the link: kentbulleid4ddemugroup-subscribe@yahoogroups.co.uk

18. Mark Hickmott

Mark Hickmott New Member

Hi, Thanks for your comments. I will keep everyone informed with the progress.
    Cheer's Mark Hickmott

Sheff and maninthecorner like this.
  19. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Hello,
    Yes £30K is a lot....yet GWR Toad Brake vans have been on the market for £15K....one was 'restored' yet would still require another £1-2K spent on it to bring it up to standard (813 Fund standard).

Nick

20. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The DD worked on the North Kent lines mainly the Woolwich and Bexleyheath lines, I am not sure if it went up the Sidcup line as I didn't travel on it if it did.
    As far as I know (and I could be wrong) Slade Green Depot used to do the maintenance on both units.

I read somewhere that some bright spark has come up with a new version of the DD and the idea will be going out to public consultation next year.

Not wishing to put a downer on this project, But I think one problem that will need to be dealt with at some stage and that is the insulation inside the carriages.

Good luck with this project and I do wish you well.