If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Building a new Gigantic

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Sidmouth, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/giganticlocomotive

posted on behalf of Jordan Leeds

"We are re-creating the lost Bassett-Lowke 15in gauge steam locomotive, Colossus¬. In so doing, we are resurrecting only the second ‘Pacific’ built in Britain and bridging the missing link between Sir Arthur Heywood’s pioneering ‘minimum gauge’ engines and Henry Greenly’s ultimate 15in gauge designs, which today can be seen at work on both the Ravenglass & Eskdale and Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch railways.

In 1908, the Great Western Railway built the first 4-6-2 in Britain with George Jackson Churchward’s The Great Bear. What was the second? Nigel Gresley’s ‘A1s’ for the GNR? Or Vincent Raven’s ‘A2s’ for the NER? Answer: it was Bassett-Lowke’s Colossus.

Famed model railway locomotive builders Bassett-Lowke had already enjoyed great success with its ‘Little Giant’ 15in gauge 4-4-2 ‘Atlantics’, designed by leading model engineer Henry Greenly, making them market leaders in the world of 15in gauge live-steam locomotives. In 1913, the firm made history by building Colossus – its first (and only) ‘Pacific’.

The design – aptly dubbed the ‘Gigantic’ class – was over 19ft long and weighed 2 tons, and was built for wealthy landowner J. E. P. Howey. Howey famously went on to develop the 13-mile-long Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway in Kent in partnership with Henry Greenly, who developed a fleet of advanced ‘Pacific’ type locomotives based on the famous Gresley ‘A1s’.

How we will do it?

One Piece at a time using modern manufacturing technologies and 3D modelling to enable our engineers to visualise and check each component against original drawings and component parts,. the work is well underway with the erection of the tender chassis and other minor components to hand.

Work will now turn towards the construction of the tender running gear and locomotives front bogie which the design is now in hand. British engineers and craftsmen working together to create the missing link in miniature railway history .

The Gigantic Locomotive Association was set up in 2017 with the sole aim of recreating gigantic and making a record of the historical nature of the project, the management team have a wide range of skills specific to locomotive restoration and new build engines ."

Kempenfelt 82e likes this.
  2. Steamie Boxes

Steamie Boxes Member

Apprentice Enginner at NYMR
    Sounds like a good project

3. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    A couple of questions:

How similar (or not) were "Colossus" and "Sir Aubrey Brocklebank"?

Some sources put the 'failure' of 4-6-0+0-6-4 'River Mite' down to the chassis of the two component 'pacifics' of the articulated loco being too lightly built for operating conditions on La'al Ratty. Is this a fair criticism? Or did the design simply ask too much of chassis units from a totally dissimilar concept?

Would a resurrected 'Gigantic' be suited to the modern day R&ER (thinking length of run rather than length of train)? Or is that just a case of it being intended for substantially lighter (and shorter run) operations, for which it had, presumably, originally been intended?

4. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    A worthy project and something a different to recreating another standard gauge loco. Will it be an exact replica or will modern practices such as gas producer combustion, multiple jet blast pipes and roller bearings be incorporated?

Incidentally the Great Westernwas way behind the commercial loco builders in this country in building pacifictype locos.
    The first Karroo class Pacifics were built Kitson for the Cape Government Railway in 1903, with enlarged versions following over the next 10 years. Some of the later 5th class survived until the 1960's.
    Actually there two production runs of Pacifics built for the Central South African Railway in 1904.
    5 class 9 were built by Vulcan Foundry and 15 class 10 were built by North British Loco Company.
    The class 9 locos only survived until 1926 but some of the 10th class lasted until the 1970's.

In 1912 CSAR and CGR were incorporated into South African Railways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Class_5A_4-6-2
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Class_9_4-6-2
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Class_10_4-6-2

Cheers, Neil

5. Jordan Leeds

Jordan Leeds New Member

having finally managed to access the forum i can now reply to the above

The Scale engines suffered greatly in service at the R&ER with Frame cracking and the use of indifferent materials used in their construction , They are very lightly built and where only intended orignally for exhibition railways and light use Not hauling Daily passenger services and stone trains up the valley .

The project to recreate Gigantic set its stall out early on that it would be externally identical in concept and design to the original with some of the areas noted in historical texts strengthened. It is intended for light use on the R&ER and other railways the length of run shouldnt pose an issue given that it is ostensibly an enlarged Class 30 atlantic with a larger boiler.

With regards progress on the project Surveys of the existing atlantics have been undertaken taking note of modifications they have had made over time and a number of Historic Patterns identified and agreement made for their use on an as and when basis these include Cylinders , Driving wheels and other components
    The tender chassis is being worked on with a view toward completion by march and assembly of the tender bogies will follow this in short succession .

On the locomotive Front design work is well in hand and the Boiler design is complete using the existing PED compliant design as the basis with a minor alteration .

If there are any questions please feel free to get in contact either via the Projects Facebook page or via private message on here.
    https://www.facebook.com/giganticlocomotive

30854 likes this.
  6. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Hello there, was just wondering if there's any new updates on this project? And also is the plan to primarily base it at the R&ER I take it? I only ask as this engine size and power would actually make it quite useful and therefore get more usage at a smaller, less arduous gradient built railway then it would as the Ratty. Just a thought.

Very much looking forward to seeing the Gigantic in the metallic flesh at some point soon, always thought it was such a elegant, grand looking engine.

Though I recall this being called the missing link in the Bassett Lowke Little Giant type locomotive development, and while I'd agree for the most part, I can think of one missing link still left after this... And that's a Class 20 Atlantic in it's original form, not the extensively rebuilt form that you see the only 2 surviving Class 20 atlantics as having.

So who know, perhaps once you got Gigantic up and running, maybe an original Class 20 could be a project for the future...

7. Jordan Leeds

Jordan Leeds New Member

We are actively still looking to raise £5000 which will give a Foundation on which the locomotive will be built, alongside the just giving page we are able to accept donations by cheque or bank transfer details can be sought by sending us a message Or emailing colossuslocomotive@outlook.co.uk

YOUR Support directly funds the progress of the locomotive, sponsorship of components is available
    Two tender Frame stays £20
    Tender rear drag box assembly £50
    Tender front drag box assembly £50
    Tender bogie spring hanger bolts £30 EACH
    Tender bogie wheel £150
    Tender axle and wheelset assembly £50

These components are Just a Sample Of what can. Be sponsored

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/giganticlocomotive?utm_id=119

Kempenfelt 82e likes this.
  8. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

Notable that Basset Loake built a very pretty pacific, when the only prototype to work from was the utterly gopping ‘Bear’… ;)

Simon

paullad1984 likes this.
  9. Jordan Leeds

Jordan Leeds New Member

Volunteers are required should anyone be. Interested

10. Jordan Leeds

Jordan Leeds New Member

As we come into summer there are various things progressing nicely, some of the larger tender castings are away for machining presently and thoughts are turning to establishing a home base and workshop in a centrally located area with good transport links, progress should be bolstered then and the project turn a very important corner that means I get my shed back and bits can be seen properly by all at regular intervals

11. Jordan Leeds

Jordan Leeds New Member

Further update,
    The work on the tender has slowed up to date with external pressures taking priority however expected this next week are the pair of tender drag boxes and from there they will be assembled and test fitted into the frames,

As always we need a volunteer to spearhead the fundraising and administration for the group as we go along further initiatives are to be launched towards completion of the engine

12. Jordan Leeds

Jordan Leeds New Member

30854 and marshall5 like this.
  13. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

14. Jordan Leeds

Jordan Leeds New Member

Depends how you view it, the historic use of the original hauling granite trains is most certainly narrow gauge

15. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Apologies read the guidelines and as the original was at the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway this is the correct forum.
    Will also be larger than some of the Quarry NG locos.

16. Jordan Leeds

Jordan Leeds New Member

17. Jordan Leeds

Jordan Leeds New Member

30854 and andrewshimmin like this.
  18. Jordan Leeds

Jordan Leeds New Member

19. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Does the tiny spelling mistake matter so much that you had to correct it and mark it in bold?!

20. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    No apologies needed in my book. If La'al Ratty belongs on this 'ere thread and Gigantic is closely associated with same (which it is), then it belongs right here IMHO. FWIW, there's a rather nice 71/4" gauge model of an EAR Class 59 which is probably longer (and may even be heavier) than a 'Quarry' Hunslet too!

For Bob's sake .... the Groudle Glen Rly is effectively a 'miniature' line, which just happens to utilise 2ft gauge. Did anyome mention North Bay Railway? Then there's the Fairbourne fleet ....

Looking at this storm in a teacup, s'pose we ought to be glad Messrs Garraway and Pegler left the FfR's "Toy Railway" tag in the past!

Talk about 'fifty shades of grey' ...... :rolleyes:

andrewshimmin likes this.