If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Broadway Station GWR Roof Fund

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by davidarnold, May 6, 2015.

1. Supporter

Supporter New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Please advise address of Brodway Rebuild Thread.
    TKS

2. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

Try here

http://railways.national-preservati...y-station-rebuild.323671/page-11#post-1205550

For the record I have no connection to BAG other than as an avid blog follower and former believer in the genuine rebuild I thought was taking place.

The fact that this was never intended was known to a small number of GWSR Directors but kept secret for two years until this May. You couldn't discover it from the plan it was outline only.

Read the Bridges to Broadway Share Offer issued AFTER the plans were submitted to Wychavon Council.

http://www.gwsr.com/BridgestoBroadway.pdf

Does anyone see the spurious excuses they are now trotting out about building regs or fire regs preventing an authentic design in this document that enticed 1/2 m quid from enthusiasts?

Does it say anywhere that the new Broadway will be a 21st Century design , using 21st Century building materials and methods?

Instead there are pictures of Toddington and Old Broadway. Reassuring statements that "bottom line it is all about Preservation"

Personally, as a contributor, I feel cheated and I know I am not alone.

3. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    And personally, as a volunteer, I think it's going to be great as it is (with the compromise). There are no excuses about fire regulations, as we have got around these, so you can't whine about that any more.

nigelss likes this.
  4. The Dainton Banker

The Dainton Banker Well-Known Member

Perhaps you are privy to more information than we are FS. We have yet to receive any indication of a compromise design, except for a vague statement that some changes are being made. I appreciate you can't speak for the management but how about asking them to post the plans (they have got plans, haven't they ?) somewhere on line for us to see ?

You never know, we might even agree with you :)

5. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

6. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not much change!!!??? As I see it, there were three main issues originally - the full height curtain wall, decorative steel work, and spacing of canopy supports. The full height curtain wall has completely gone, and we are having some decorative steel work, but they've kept the support spacings. That seems like a very fair compromise to me.

Of course I'm loyal to the railway, I volunteer for it! However, I dislike the fact that you are suggesting I will follow the management regardless, of course I have differing views to the management on some subjects. Indeed, I emailed the chairman when this originally came out expressing my concerns, but I feel a suitable compromise has been found.

7. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    Objecting to steel because it ought to be iron is perhaps a little precious. In my previous life I once approved black painted cast aluminium guttering in place of black painted cast iron guttering. The heritage purists didn't like that either. And horror of horrors, it was on a former railway building!

Hampshire Unit and 35B like this.
  8. The Dainton Banker

The Dainton Banker Well-Known Member

Thank you FS but the news item you quote is exactly what I am referring to. You quote it to say "we are having some decorative steel work" but this means nothing until we know what it looks like. Is it or is it not going to look like the Toddington roof and why can't the columns be changed ?
    I know you are doing your best to interpret things for us but it really is pretty mean of the management to leave you trying to defend them while they themselves refuse to enter into dialogue with us and block other lines of communication.

Now, can we please continue this discussion on the Broadway Rebuild thread where several other posters are trying address the same issues ? It gets very confusing having two threads on basically the same topic and David has indicated that he is willing to close this thread.

David : FS is just the meat in the sandwich here. He does a very good job generally and does not deserve abuse.

Mike

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015