If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Brittany: A new Narrow Gauge 60cm line !!

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Baldwin, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Legrandanglais

Legrandanglais New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Unfortunately the working days September 29[SUP]th[/SUP] and October 6[SUP]th[/SUP] were cancelled due to undisclosed reasons.

A while ago at the ACBR AGM we were advised of several things that were embargoed for general distribution – we are now able to reveal:

1/ Following a meeting with the Conseil General du Cotes d'Armor (Departement 22), the CCKB (Communaute de Communes du Kreiz Breiz) and other interested parties, it was announced that several initiatives would be introduced to increase tourism to the Lac de Guerledan region. :blah:

2/ This means that the ACBR now has the backing of the departemental council, the area council as well as the two mayors to proceed with the project.
    :thumb:

3/ The DIR (Directions Interdépartementales des Routes), who look after the roads have been told to make preparations to single the dual carriageway between Bon Repos and Gouarec, and make the carriageway nearest the Canal available for a Footpath/Cycleway AND the Railway! Furthermore, to make provision for level crossings on the D2164..... DIR are confused as they normally make compulsory purchases of land for roads, not to give roads back!!!!
    :flypig:

4/ Announced in Le Courrier (journal of the CCKB) No 32, September 2012, page 13... The CCKB has made a budget of 14,580 Euro for the ACBR Project.
    :biggrin1:

Finally, Christian Labetoulle (Chairman) sent a message to ACBR members to inform them that the "depot" of Gouarec Station (the shed seen in the background of the stock at Gouarec) will belong to the Bon Repos Railways by Christmas. So we will have a roof over our heads in 2013 to work for cold and windy days! At present ACBR rent about 1/3 of the shed - a whole shed will allow dry restoration work on Locos and rolling stock:clap2:

2. Ken_R

Ken_R Member

Good news.

They've found a means of improving the weather? Saying that. We were over there this time last year and it was beautiful weather.

But, you still can't burn the lineside clearance.:frusty:

THAT would confuse French Officialdom.:sad:

More cakes?:dance:

Do I remember some mention of an individual connected with the garage over the road at Gouarec being involved? Does this mean that you will have a covered working area a short walk from access to workshop facilities?

3. Legrandanglais

Hi Ken, I thought that lot would float your boat - that is unless it is a Brittany Ferries one! :der:
    They cannot find a bidder to make a large umbrella ! - arrived Friday (LD Lines) in sun - nice weekend, situation normal Monday. :rain:

My woodburner is currently taking care of my share of that problem. :cool:

DIR in flat spin over the requirements, going to have to write some new procedures? :confused:

Cakes, maybe - but only for the workers... I think most of the money is for DIR to make plans for changes to the D2164 :hungry:

Garage Martin - his son now runs the Garage, has lots of BIG Hammers! :thumb:

4. Legrandanglais

This Saturday only 2 workers, 1 French, 1 Brit. :eek:hwell: Fitted the 'Fence Frame' at the bottom of the shed doors - basically a drop in fence that can be used to keep visitors out whilst having the shed doors open. It is a fix for dropping the track level to accommodate Metre Gauge loco, that had left a big gap between the doors and rail head.....:thumb:
    In answer to Lynbarn, why the Van was so heavy - it was half full of overalls! Why so heavy, simple - hole in van roof - overalls absolutely sodden! [​IMG]

5. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

...Only two workers, maybe something to do with the cold, it's down to 12 degrees now you know ? LOL

6. Legrandanglais

Ah yes, work hard to keep warm - but at least it was sunny? :cool1:
    A lot of the working Brits are away on holiday - somewhere warmer like North Africa or Spain! Maybe the French have hibernated? :rolleyes1:
    As it will get colder (and wetter) :rain:, the work schedule is to include the renovation of the inside of the Halte de Bon Repos

7. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

...but this is privately owned property, bit like working in the black legally, who knows that no one is getting paid !! LOL

8. Legrandanglais

Private house no more - vested in the ACBR - who's working members are converting it back into a station. AND it is all being done with the blessing of the local Mayor. So nobody is, or will be accused of working on the black.

9. Ken_R

Ken_R Member

Just back from being over there for a few days. A short trip. Hence didn't get chance to visit.

Crap weather, apart from Tuesday, and my back is now knackered.

My next visit, for coffee and cake, will be in the Spring, and I might be bringing over a small utility trailer, should you need anything transported.:wink:

10. Legrandanglais

Saturday, 2 French, 1 Brit. Completed the shed door fence that was started last week - fills the gap caused by digging out to suit Metre Gauge clearances. Also acts as a fence to keep out unauthorised persons when work is being done in the shed when the doors are open.

Halte Bon Repos 201012 porte remise a  R.jpg

One of the french, Pierre is a Professional Model Maker (see ACBR website for examples) for a change working to a scale of 25.4mm to the inch.
    No work party next week.

11. Legrandanglais

Work has continued on the Shed with general repairs. A professional roofer has been at work in an attempt to keep out the liquid sunshine.
    Next week work starts on the installation of lighting and electrics in the shed.

Slow but sure continuation during the volunteer 'hibernation season'

12. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

Won't be long now before Christian will be back, maybe things will get faster !!!

13. Legrandanglais

No major work envisaged until the end of February. Work continues on the installation and updating the electrics in the shed at Bon Repos. The roofer has been back to check for leaks in the repaired roof....

The old side access - long boarded and in poor condition, up has been re-boarded up and painted - see photo. Note the new access steps!

171212 remise bon repos b  R.jpg

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to our readers :smow:.

14. Legrandanglais

Not a lot will happen now until beginning of March and the arrival of better weather (we hope?) and the return of the Vice President from a holiday in Japan. Wiring of the shed lighting at Bon Repos continues slowly.
    Arrangements are being made with a sandblasting contractor to do work on some of the rusting metalwork on the wagon collection. This will be done outside before moving the wagon(s) into the shed at Gouarec.

15. garth manor

garth manor Well-Known Member

Is this now to be wholly a metre gauge operation or will there be 60 cm dual operation ?

16. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

A bit of both, non ?

17. Legrandanglais

Joel (the Vice President) will be back from holiday in Japan in early March, so the next work’s day in Bon Repos and in Gouarec should be on March 9th

Hopefully, the programme will be:

1- in Bon Repos continue with Alan installing electricity in the shed

2- in Gouarec, if the weather is good, begin to remove the rotten wood on the Breton wagon K118 and make a list of necessary materials to the repair of this wagon and to work out an estimate to give to the President, Christian (wood, bolts, sheet metal for the roof etc) for funding.
    If you are in the region - why not call in and see us....

18. Legrandanglais

9th March - greyish but not raining. Arrived to find station house front door forced open.... All cupboard doors and boxes open, windows open. Unwelcome visitors had stolen tools and equipment. Gouarec’s gendarmes were called, and the crime scene access was restricted until photos were taken. An incident report will enable a claim to be made on the insurance. Items stolen are marked ACBR in white.

Eventually 4 Brits and 2 French on site, then the sun came out!!!!! 1 Other arrived took details for a project and left (back hurting). Shed wiring continued - now has 4 double florescent tube lights, and an external PIR triggered halogen lamp installed. Site cleared/cut back by the two ladies (St*** the no bonfire rule, they had one!). 1/3 of the track back toward shed rough ballasted ready for lifting/aligning.

No work party next week

19. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

Bad news about the theft, why not install a lodger ?

20. Legrandanglais

Well, one of the jobs planned was to re-decorate the Station House and make it habitable. Meanwhile I think an alarm system with PIR Lights and a loud siren is being considered.
    Lodger - any volunteers?