If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Brittany: A new Narrow Gauge 60cm line !!

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Baldwin, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Ken_R

Ken_R Member

Keep us updated. I've been watching the French site with interest but it's a bit light on photo's. I'm trying to visualise where the two sites are. At the Gouarec end, from Le Poteau, over the cross roads into Rue de la Gare (obvious innit. :whistle:) you've got the Bar on the left - and I presume your place is on the right, but I can't say that I've ever taken much attention as to what is there. BTW, have they finished that final link on the N164 yet?

At the other end, Bon Repos, am I correct in thinking that it is on the right opposite the Abbeye? Before the bridge over the Canal as if going to the Merlin. Not that I (can afford to) go there very often.:violin:

anse de sordan.jpg

Ken.

2. Legrandanglais

Legrandanglais New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hi Ken, The Station at Gouarec is opposite the road to Le Poteau (then on to Laniscat), it is the Tourist Information Office. The Renault Garage is also opposite - he is a member.
    Behind the Gare is a parking area off Rue de Gare (that is between the Bar and the Gare) - beyond the large rocks across the parking will be where the track will be laid to receive the rolling stock. The members are due to be working at Gouarec this Saturday if you are available?....

At Bon Repos, the Halte is north of what is now the D2164 about 300 Metres west of the road junction with the D44. There is an East and West bound access road up to the Halte - if the chains across are not there - then there will be activity - usually on a Saturday.
    The D44 goes south toward the Abbey and over the narrow bridge... so the Halt is just under 1Km from the Abbey Ruins.

You need to update the photo of the Merlin (they don't do that great Tapas any more) at the Anse - the tide has gone way out - the Lac is more of a Grand Etang at present - demand for water in Morbihan has reduced the level such that the Cruise Boats are High and Dry. There are concerns that a dry winter will fail to refill one of the area's best Tourist attractions - hence the need for more for them to see...

They are currently working on the last stretch of the New N164 at the Rostrenen end, currently road users leave or join at the interchange at Plougernavel and rejoin the old road.

3. Legrandanglais

With relatively good weather continuing, work has progressed at Halte de Bon Repos and at Gare de Gouarec.
    The workshop at BR has now been fitted with an access door - effectively closing the front (mid picture).
    Work to level and ballast the station throat just to the east of Gouarec has started, with sleepers due to be placed next week.
    The large shed in the last picture is where the locotractor and other objects are stored.

Attached Files:

4. Ken_R

Ken_R Member

Thanks for the photo's. They show a lot of "standing around talking" and not a lot of 'doing'.

The 'French' method of getting jobs done.:wink:

5. Legrandanglais

Actually it shows the 'methode anglais' that is 3 of the brits, staying safely out of the way of the machine doing the hard work. If it were the French way - they would possibly be having a few beers or glasses of wine?
    When the hard work is being done by the crew, no-one has the time to take pictures!

6. Legrandanglais

Currently in UK watching the PROGRESS on-line :ranger:
    A new picture of the team 'standing around' :clap2: whilst the machine finishes leveling the sub-base ballast, gives a better idea of the work adjacent to the Gare de Gouarec and the shed.
    The weather broke this week, one of the French members has offered to turn up for work this week in his 'Jacques Cousteau' outfit!!! (who said the French don't have a sense of humour?)
    Also pictured is the arrival of an original Reseau Breton van body (note the additional ventilation feature! :eek:). This is not the K118 van which arrives soon.

Sleepers and rail should be placed on Saturday...

Ballast at Gouarec.jpg arrivée wagon Plounevezel 301111n R.jpg

7. Legrandanglais

As requested, I attach a few more pictures:photo: of the progress at Gouarec.

A smaller workforce placed sleepers (Traverses) and rails on the leveled ballast in the pouring rain, and the first fishplate was fitted! In French they are Éclisse not as you may think Plate de poisson! :fish2:

There is now a short section of Metre gauge, and a longer section of 60cm gauge

The mine wagon was also removed from the shed for display.

Also included is an aerial view of the station when built. The River Blavet runs north, and the Canal de Nantes a Brest turns left (west). The new track is laid on the station throat, above the quayside track location.

[​IMG] 031211 Gouarec  pose de traverses  a  R.jpg 031211 Gouarec   rails posés sous la pluie a  R.jpg 031211 Gouarec  première éclisse a  R.jpg Gouarec canal et gare as it was.jpg

8. Legrandanglais

Another report - this week rails have been attached to the sleepers at Gouarec, and rough ballasted in preparation to receive Comessa Tractor and K118 Van arriving shortly.
    Workforce for the midweek jobs was only a few hardy souls:grouphug: - weather was cold and wet....:rain:
    More rail has arrived at Bon Ropos, but apart from light rail panels (60cm gauge) the remainder awaits sleepers.:pray:
    131211 equipe de ballast c R.jpg 10121110.jpg 10121111.jpg 131211 livraison rails k  R.jpg

9. Legrandanglais

There are now things with wheels (60cm gauge) on the track at Gare de Gouarec (which is an open site).
    To stop the local kids playing super skateboard with them, they have been scotched, and the scotches tack welded to the rails :thumb: The 'Liquid Sunshine' is now making work very muddy - time for a Christmas Break?

Attached Files:

10. Ken_R

Ken_R Member

Nice going. I was reading the Anglo forum last night (and this morning). High winds and heavy rain. Lots of trees down and flooding. Even the Amorique couldn't dock at St Malo and had to divert to Roscoff. I'm hoping that the worst of it (as it seemed reading the forum) struck further North than Gouarec. More towards the Morlaix/Guingamp area, but I could be wrong.

At least it might do a bit towards replenishing the Lac.:bathbaby:

Whilst I think about. The Creperie on the right between Gouarec and Bon Repos. Any good? I've passed it many times but never visited.

11. Legrandanglais

Yes Ken, pretty bad in the Gouarec valley with trees down by the canal. The canal/Blavet is in full spate, fortunately the site at Gouarec is above high tide line! The photos show the location at the bridge at Bon Repos - after the water had gone down about a foot.

Father Christmas called in at the 'End of Year Drinks' at Halte de Bon Repos on Saturday - just after the photo was taken, more arrived to celebrate... no work that day.

I also attach a picture taken from the Comessa end of the line-up (no 'Fat Contollers' can drive this!)....also a picture of the Irish Locotractors stored at Laniscat.

Ken, the Creperie de Bon Repose is just after the turn for the Abbey, going toward Caurel.... OK but a bit pricey - I prefer 'La Ribote' in St Bridgitte - more friendly.

As I write this, rain continues to hammer down on the velux, but the wind has dropped.

Joyeux Noel et a Bonne Annee to you all

Attached Files:

12. Ken_R

Ken_R Member

My mistake on the location. We tend to use the one by the Lac, just below Caurel. "George" is it? The little Greek guy full of beans, but hardly ever open. What we've noticed in the last two or three years is that his wife has become more outgoing and ready to chat. (I'm presuming) due to their children becoming older and that she has more time to be with the customers.

The other place that I've tried is the Pizza bar in Gouarec. The one with tables on decking out the front and a sort of canopy over them. I'm sure it's only been there for the last couple of years. I'd have to look at a map to describe where it is. Just around the corner from the shop selling English produce. I had a nice steak there. Don't know if it is still the case, but the Credit Card era hadn't reached that far. Cash or Cheque only.:smile:

Joyeux Noel.

13. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

Hi. What's the latest news, seems to have gone quiet ?

14. Ken_R

Ken_R Member

You can find it here.

Google Translate

I tried to copy & paste but, in Translation mode, it wouldn't let me.

Basically, with temperatures as low as 8 or 9 degrees C. It is too cold (for them - wimps:tongue:) so it begins again in March.

15. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

The strange thing is that all news dried up the same week as the owner came back after six months away. I would liked to of heard about the discussions with the local council though, it can't be easy building two different railways in two different gauges starting at two different ends !!

16. Legrandanglais

In response to several enquiries - the project is hibernating for the winter - too cold and wet on site (not wimps - just aged with bodies that don't like cold and damp - remember you will be old and grey one day!).
    I will keep you updated as and when things next happen - when the workers eventualy come out of the warm :wink:
    Happy New Year!

17. Legrandanglais

Yes it appears there is a bit of a re-think going on.... briefly the facts and guesses are:

1) The owner of the Mallet (CdF Vivarais) met with the Project team just after Christmas - maybe interested in returning the RB Mallet and 3 RB Coaches to the ACBR line in the future.:pray2:

2) The Abbey de Bon Repos is up for sale - the 99 year lease is due to expire, and there is a public enquiry in place with the Conseil General du Cote d'Armor looking to purchase this Monument Historique. The CG are putting together a grand plan to make the Abbey the centre of a Tourist Centre involving the Canal de Nantes a Brest (and possibly the Tourist Railway).... more to be learned at the enquiry? :cheer2:

3) The CG is also collecting memories of the Reseau Breton from those who remember the line before 1967, and is aiming to collate and preserve these memories - this would tie in with the proposed Museum at Gouarec.:amen:

4) MAYBE the line will be rebuilt as Metre Gauge NOT 60cm Gauge... All in the melting pot at present.

5) The first working party this year will be on 3 March, where things may be spelled out as to the latest priorities. We shall see, and the news posted

18. Legrandanglais

Now the whether is warmer (in the afternoon!) work recommenced at the Halt de Bon Repos. On 3 March sadly only 4 turned up – 3 Brits and Joel, so no heavy work was undertaken. :Cry:

More trees on the original trackbed were noted for felling next week, and the re-location of the septic tank discussed. The septic tank will need to be sized for a commercial enterprise, to allow for future visitors, cafe etc. The toilet block will need to be extended to provide handicap toilet facilities...all more work and money. :violin:

Christian Labatoulle (the owner) has made a list of works that should be done this year (or later). Joel le Guen, acting as Project Manager has asked for estimates for a roofer, electrician, mechanic and a groundworks contractor and he awaits answers. It is now proposed to delay the arrival of the Swiss coach B72 and a another wagon K249 until later in April to give time to prepare rails at Halte de Bon Repos to receive them, so not at Gouarec as originally planned.

The shed at Bon Repos will now be a single Metre gauge, not 2 x 60cm as originally planned. The idea is to move the Billard Locotractor T75D from the shed at Gouarec into the shed at Bon Repos so that mechanical work can commence – however it is too high to enter the existing doorway, so the trackbed has to be dug out a further 35/40cm and the track re-laid. If the horn is removed from the roof the height will reduce to 2.80M, and it will then be able to enter. The cutting in front of the shed has to be increased in depth and widened at the same time as the shed floor to take the single Metre gauge track (the B72 coach is 2.65m wide).

Unfortunately the usual contractor is undergoing the mandatory periodic HGV training – so that is on hold.

After the digging, Sleepers and Fishplates have to be obtained to lay the rail.

A review is underway regarding the cost of grading the existing trackbed westward from Bon Repos in preparation for ballasting - so far quotes have been out of this world (and out of the range of the project pockets).

While awaiting estimates from the trademen and beginning works in the shed at Bon Repos, Christian wishes that works to repair K118 and Billard commence in the shed at Gouarec. The shed at Gouarec is to have a door in the end facing the rails laid last year.

Thoughts are still somewhat muddled,:tape: and the battle between 60cm and Metre continues....

19. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher
    I hope the Metre will win but I'm a bit "septic" hihihihihihihihihihi:cheer2:
    regards
    noel

20. Ken_R

Ken_R Member

I know of a local Brit husband/wife team that are electricians. PM me if you require details.