If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

BRISTOL - PLYMOUTH instead of Weymouth?

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by RayMason, Mar 17, 2012.

1. The Man

The Man New Member

Railwayman
    A stop to set down the B & S brigade at Dawlish Warren would be a nice idea, EXCEPT. those who got off would be very unhappy at going home time. The up platform at DW is banned to steam because of gauging. I have stopped on the through road, whist the XC has gone round us through the platform. The idea of a Bristol to Plymouth (and possibly somewhere else) is certainly being seriously considered while we can't go to Weymouth. Who knows, If it is popular enough it could become a regular. See you in Devon ....

2. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Andy

The Cathedrals Express on the 10th March was stopped in the up loop/platform road, and the Cross Country passed us on the through road.

Paul

3. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Yes, that's right - is that because it was Tornado which doesn't seem to suffer from the guaging problems that other engines have?

4. ashtav0

ashtav0 New Member

Carer,general assistant
    Shame whats the chance of them changing the guaging possible for steam charters maybe that's why it's not happened since the Dawlish donkey days ah well was worth A thought.

5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    What an optimist! Absolutely no chance of this happening, I would guess. This kind of problem doesn't interest NR at all.

6. The Crimson Pirate

The Crimson Pirate Member

It does interest them, but patience is required
    :fish2:.

7. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

It seems that generally West Coast turn the whole train and dBS leave the stock in the platform and just turn the loco+support coach. I have no idea why. Dawlish Warren is an interesting idea but you'd miss the Devon Banks.

8. ashtav0

ashtav0 New Member

Carer,general assistant
    The point of a stop at dawlish warren is to appeal to the families and then the train would carry on to Plymouth which pleases the rail enthusiasts which = everyone goes home happy aslong as everything goes as planned of course families don't really care about the banks they just wanna go to the beach on A steam traction like back in steam days.

9. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

As well as allowing Bristol families a day on the beach, it would offer people holidaying in south Devon a (half) day trip to Plymouth on a steam train. With suitable marketing, that could work quite well.

BTW, why Dawlish Warren rather than Dawlish or Teignmouth? Is the sand there better, or is it because of the loop? I realise that Newton Abbott and Totnes are bad ideas, given the need for a good run at the banks.

10. ashtav0

ashtav0 New Member

Carer,general assistant
    I was saying simply cause of the loop but all 3 are excellent destinations being from Exeter I have good knowledge of the area. If it was to stop at DAwlish or teignmouth it would probably have to go just before A stopper service else I would guess it would have to stop at Newton abbot for a service train however im not certain on this.

11. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

The beach at Dawlish isn’t great (apologies to the mother-in-law who lives there), also when the tide comes in that’s it – no beach at all. I can recommend an excellent Italian Restaurant in Teignmouth however!

12. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Teignmouth beach is probably better than Dawlish for B&S people,Dawlish is a nice town on a nice day (not too brilliant otherwise!). Really do enjoy Plymouth trips,would be far better than going to Kingswear every week IMHO,especially as there isn't really a reason to go on them now that there's no atmosphere to them. At least the Plymouth job would inject some enthusiasm and some challenging work on the devon banks into it. Big thumbs up from me.

13. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    Planned to run on 5 dates instead of Weymouth !!!!

Par is being offered as well to allow a trip on the Bodmin + Wenford (or Heligan gdns - amazingly good)

So, Plymouth for £69.!!! (Par £79)

Details on RTC site. There are one or two odditties(Ply mkt shuts on sun)+ maybe pick up points need checking.
    I hope Yatton/Bridgewater are used as both stations have a lot of GWR "feel"

I will let RTC clarify details but details on the website. The booking section is generally the most accurate.

No doubt there will be changes........but 5 extra trips over the banks is good news for anyone who likes

-Seawall - B+WR - "Banks"

14. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    No doubt TBEL will find the Plymouth / Par trains very difficult to compete with. On three occasions The Torbay Express and the Royal Duchy are due to head west from Bristol TM on the same day (5th August, 2nd and 9th Sept.). RYTC's £69 standard fare to Plymouth appears to be a bargain when compared to TBEL's £79 fare to Kingswear. <BJ>

15. ashtav0

ashtav0 New Member

Carer,general assistant
    Having had my sights set on doing A Torbay this year once I saw that this was confirmed immediately have switched my custom with my party of 6 to this tour instead just much more for your money in my opinion and for the same price can do the banks and the tamar bridge easy decision to change my mind well do RTC although I'm guessing the load will be limited on the banks.

16. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Fantastic stuff,thanks Nigel/Ray/RTC,will deffo do 1 (probably more) of them!

17. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Should be 8/9 depending on what's rostered.