If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Brighton Atlantic: 32424 Beachy Head

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Maunsell man, Oct 20, 2009.

1. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Agree about an o-6-0 being perfectly adequate for most places although a 3MT is hardly excessive and the type was associated with the Severn Valley.
    However, sixty years of railway preservation ought to have seen W.I.B.N. tempered a bit more by reality. Widespread reports of financial difficulties illustrate what can be the result of failing to do so.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2019
  2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It should be relatively easy to install a filter in the air brake pipe work if required.

3. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    I thought the idea to build a new Brighton Atlantic was because none had survived? and Are not preserved railways people trying to escape from reality? taking a trip back to an time when you were a child, and didn't have the mortgage to worry about,

4. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

The discussions about suitability or otherwise has been held endlessly on this thread: suffice to say its an H2 Atlantic that is being built, not a C2x, D3 or anything else. I don’t suppose debating the issue yet again is going to change yours or anyone else’s mind - so any chance we could let it rest and just concentrate on the build itself?

Tom

5. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Not to argue with what is being done, but would a single welded skin with dummy rivet heads have been easier or cheaper?

6. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    Maybe, but you seem to be unaware that the original Atlantics did occasionally run over what is now the Bluebell Railway.

7. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Quite aware of that. "Occasionally" is the operative word>

8. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

In order to ensure this, W.I.B.N. needs to be tempered a bit.

9. martin1656

Without WIBN Calbourne would have been next in the cutting queue at Ryde in 1967, Without WIBN those initial 5 coaches would have been burnt and scrapped at Newport, Without WIBN there would be no IOWSR,
    and the same can be said of every single one of our preserved railways, no 488, no terriers to save, no barry escapees, every single appeal starts with someone saying, Wouldn't it be nice to save that loco, buy that stretch of closed railway, buy some coaches.

Spinner, S.A.C. Martin, 1472 and 16 others like this.
  10. Martin Perry

Suggest that the 'scratched record' about WIBN be given a rest please.

11. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

51 years ago I roared over the NW hills on my Dommy 88 chasing BR steam for what I thought was the last time. I should have laughed if someone had told me that as a 70+ pensioner I would still be riding a Norton to watch mainline steam. I should have laughed if someone told me that I would travel from KingsX to Edinburgh behind a newly built A1 in 8 hours or that I would travel behind steam at 90 mph on the LNER. I could go on but this is enough to demonstrate the power of WIBN.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  12. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

You really do need to read properly, what is said. There are worrying numbers of places who lost significant sums of money last year. Hence the need for W.I.B.N. to be tempered to ensure their survival.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2019
    jnc likes this.
  13. martin1656

And in a few more years, you will be able to Travel to either Sheffield park, or East Grinstead, and see a rebuild Marsh Atlantic, in steam, so many years after the very last was lost in a cloud of sparks and molten metal, At a Station that did not exist until recently if travelling from East Grinstead , along tracks that were once a landfill ,along tracks that originally were tore up by contractors , this to me is what preservation is all about.

14. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

That all depends upon present financial issues being addressed. It will require more than wishful thought.

15. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Although, to be fair, probably rather faster than the 25 mph that the new one will be allowed.

WIBN caused dozens of projects to be started and amazing amounts of cash to be found to pay for them (as well as volunteer labour). Big projects continue to be undertaken and supported, such as the station at Broadway and the additional under-cover accommodation on the Bluebell. Raising the cash to maintain the fruits of projects after they have been achieved (such as maintaining the track on the WSR) seems to be harder.

At least Beachy Head (returning to the proper subject of this thread), when finished and after perhaps a bit of snagging and final tweaks, will be a brand spanking new locomotive, which should need only routine maintenance for a good few years.

S.A.C. Martin, clinker and jnc like this.
  16. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I am glad you mentioned the WSR as part of their problem appears to have been the use of heavy equipment to the detriment of track and underline structures. A Brighton Atlantic has a 19 ton axle load.

Yes, one might expect a newbuild to have a period free from majormechanical trouble. However, the same would apply if the replica were of a C2x, Drummond "700" or Adams "Jubilee.

17. Martin Perry

Paul, you have done this subject to death over the years, please do us all a favour ...

18. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Actually, I only got involved again because someone mentioned my name rather gratuitously and I knew reference to the moderators would be pointless. Bye Bye

andrewshimmin likes this.
  19. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    Maybe, but surely the spur that got this project going was the discovery of a 'low mileage' GN Atlantic boiler at Maldon, Essex.

20. ross

ross Well-Known Member

If the intention was to run a cost effective public transport system, you likely wouldn't use rails at all. All that maintenance and liability and sunk capital....

jnc likes this.