If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Brighton Atlantic: 32424 Beachy Head

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Maunsell man, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Latest online update on Beachy Head: more on the running plates, splashers, steps, smokebox door ring and the pistons.

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/locos/atlantic/latest.html

Tom

S.A.C. Martin likes this.
  2. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Great progress, as is the case with a number of these new-builds now.

I understand that 32424 was the "locomotive that got away" as I think I read somewhere that the Bluebell pioneers really wanted to save it as a Brighton loco and as the last UK Atlantic in service I believe. Although I'm a GWR enthusiast, if I'm asked to pick a team, I still think these Brighton Atlantics look wonderful and I'm told that, like most Brighton Works locomotives, they were very well built indeed; something the Bluebell team is obviously emulating.

3. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

looking at the running platework shown in the new photos via the link, it does look pretty substantial doesn't it ? Lovely job though.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  4. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    It is such a shame that 251 is unlikely to steam again at this time - with 32424 soon to come, having the original and the direct descendant - and the ancestor in the form of Henry Oakley too - lined up together might be a nice possibility though.

It'll be magical to ride behind an Atlantic - I don't think that's been possible in this country since 251 last steamed, at least in standard gauge of course, noting our lovely miniature railway brethren.

I've never seen an Atlantic in steam so Beachy Head will be a delightful first one suspects!

5. QLDriver

QLDriver New Member

Materials Testing
    I don't think 251 has steamed since the 1950s? 990 (Henry Oakley) steamed in the 1970s.

6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Correct. 990 ran on the KWVR for a short while following her return to steam for the Shildon 150 cavalcade in 1975.

7. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Not sure exactly when 251 was last steamed, but apparently she worked a handful of railtours/depot open days after the 1953 "Plant Centenarian". For example, I have seen photos (in an old Steam World - I can't remember which) of her working a railtour to Farnborough in 1954, double-headed with ex-GC D11 No. 62663 Prince Albert, and one of the Coronation observation cars on the rear - if only we could recreate that today!

The real tragedy is that the other GNR Atlantic boiler found with 32424's was later scrapped - otherwise we could have used it as the basis for a replica GNR Atlantic. Sadly the NRM have decided that neither 990 nor 251 can steam again IIRC.

8. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

in theory there is no reason why 990 or 251 should not steam again. both were preserved in running condition after thorough overhauls, though in the case of 251 some rather extreme and perhaps stupid modifications were carried out such as removing the superheaters although the boiler still has superheater flues, and replacing the piston valve cylinders with those of the slide valve balanced 'richardson' type. LBSCR terrier Boxhill was also preserved in running condition, and GWR Dean Goods 2516 was preserved after a very thorough overhaul and mechanically is in 'ex-works' condition - which in the case of Swindon is a very high standard!
    cheers,
    julian

9. 10640

10640 New Member

251 and 990 were put into working order in 1953 on the occasion of the centenary of Doncaster works. This was at the behest of the late Alan Pegler (then a member the Eastern Region board) to work the Plant Centenarian special from Leeds to Kings Cross. 990 was preserved in as withdrawn condition with a superheater, but 251 was externally restored to as-built condition. Thus, with no superheater but 32 vacant flue tubes, dummy elements had to be fitted in order to enable her to raise steam. Add to that, the chimney was moved back to its original position on the smokebox, out of line with the blastpipe. O S Nock was of the opinion that 251 would have been able to handle the train on her own, had the superheater not been removed, so, putting her back into traffic now would require a lot of modifications to how she is currently presented. Given the controversy surrounding replacement of original material on 4472, it would probably be best to let 32424 carry the Atlantic flag.

David

10. Jamessquared

Whisper it quietly, but isn't the other option for an Atlantic in the future the GWS Saint project, which I believe is being designed so that it could be converted to a 4-4-2?

Tom

weltrol and S.A.C. Martin like this.
  11. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    Absolutely Tom, a timely reminder of another very important new build to the whole story of steam. Perhaps when both Atlantics are running we could have an Atlantic day on a preserved railway somewhere - would make interesting comparisons given the original Ivatt designed machine and the Churchward one were almost contemporaries - the Marsh derivative possibly being the ultimate example of the Atlantic type in BR days.

12. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Rather than go to the trouble of coring and plugging is there any reason why the piston head cannot be a very shallow H section with a central boss for the rod and a rim wide enough to take the rings? Ribs could be added to each face if it was not felt to be strong enough.

13. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I guess that it would need a re-design of the cylinder covers, for a start and I don't think it would be practical to have ribs..

14. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

I came across drawings in a Chinese book on loco maintenance of piston heads of a KD6 (= S160). I don't quite understand it as it shows two different heads, one of the sort I was contemplating and one which seems to be a cored version. Not sure why the diameters are different though. On the face of it, to keep the end clearance volumes low, one would have to shape the front and rear covers (which is what I think Steve was getting at, although presumably the Atlantic guys had a blank sheet of paper with their fabricated cylinders), which may outweigh the complexity of coring the piston head , although there is always a risk with the latter of a plug falling out. Is it known what was the problem with 6046?
    kd6_piston.jpg

15. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

the loco looks good in the November photos...is it accessible to visitors to view....

16. Jamessquared

Not routinely as access is rather awkward, but generally Atlantic House is open on special events days - check the website for details.

Tom

17. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    6046 is subject to an insurance claim, so I doubt anything will be made public until that is settled.

18. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

Isn't the Adams 'Radial Tank'an Atlantic? 4-4-2T if I remember rightly....

19. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Did any of the De Glehn atlantics survive (in France ?) an Atlantic international Newbuild of great historical significance perhaps...

ssk2400 likes this.
  20. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    You don't usually hear of 4-4-2 tanks being referred to as such. There were quite a few classes of 4-6-2T but they were never referred to as Pacifics. Conversely, though, 4-6-4T's were generally referred to as Baltic tanks!