If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bridge that Gap: Great Central Railway News

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Gav106, May 8, 2010.

1. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    They have put an update about the A60 bridge on the GCR website now.....
    https://www.gcrailway.co.uk/unify/

2. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think it has been a great achievement to get that bridge funded, designed, removed and replaced in less than one year and, at the same time, continuing to fund raise for the "Factory Flyover", a huge "Well Done" to all concerned.
    I do wonder if it may be possible, at some stage in the future, to add some, possibly light weight, "Lattice Pillaster(?) girders to the new handrails, to return its appearance to closer to the original GC style? It was so sad seeing them torn apart in the bridge removal video.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    acorb, Hando, sonicboom and 2 others like this.
  3. Mark_108

Mark_108 New Member

Senior Engineer - Offshore Design
    I was rather surprised/dissapointed that the Brick work on the abutments was not made good.

Given the road closures and temporary lights that had been in place between the fitting of the concrete abutments and the deck lift, would have thought it would have been the most cost effective time to get some scaffold and brickies in to get that bit done. Recognising it would be more spend, its a fraction of a percent of the overall cost of the job and will be considerably more expensive to do in the future.

4. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

The word is that that will be done by a different contractor.

5. Flying Phil

In the latest update on the GCR website it does say there is still some "Finishing off work still to be done" so possibly that is the pointing etc. I would have thought that it is better to let the whole bridge "settle/harden to full strength" before doing the final cosmetics anyway?

6. Mark_108

Mark_108 New Member

Senior Engineer - Offshore Design
    If it 'settles' or 'Hardens' there they are in deep trouble, should be no movement or expected settlement if the job has been done right (plus the foundations are the original 100+ year old ones).

7. Flying Phil

I'm sure that the job has been "done right" and that all involved are to be congratulated - even if there is still some finishing off to do....

8. Musket The Dog

Musket The Dog New Member

Engineer
    The foundations have been supporting a totally different superstructure for 100 years. I would be surprised if you can pull that off, then replace it with something totally different and it not react in some way, however small.

I am aware of other aged buildings that have been altered in later life and have actually had the foundations rise on account of shedding some weight. In one case this was just due to removing all the books from the top floor of a library.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    Hando likes this.
  9. Flying Phil

Apparently the new A 60 bridge has been hit already....fortunately it was an over-height load of straw bales which caused no damage to the bridge, but did fall on a following car causing some damage but no injuries.
    Of course the next major project will be the "Factory Flyover" and the fundraising for this is now well over £1.3M.

10. Andrew MI

Andrew MI New Member

There seems to me to be a huge number of open or planned projects on the GCR of which the “gap” is just one (albeit the most publicised for obvious and understandable reasons).

Please can I ask about the current state of play with all of these?

For example, the engine shed project seems to have been shelved and turned into a renovation of the existing (presumably temporary pending the identification of a suitable site following reunification) and there are pending projects on the extension of double track to Leicester and the station / museum at Leicester.

Clearly following reunification there will be a laundry list of new projects that emerge so it would be interesting to see what the plans are and the order of priority within these plans.

11. Flying Phil

Hi Andrew
    You are quite correct in that the GCR does have four main projects in the pipeline. The Gap project is happening now as funding is achieved for the 7 elements. 3 have been completed (MML bridge, canal bridge and A 60). Next will be the two parts of the factory flyover then the big embankment, South of the MML and small embankment North of the MML. Hopefully the next stage will be started later this year.
    The Engine shed refurbishment could not be delayed any longer and the various alternative sites all have problems or were unavailable. The present shed location was always positioned with the possibility of a line alongside to the North. Not ideal but no real alternative....and Yes - Lots of people have spent Lots of time looking at the alternatives.
    The Museum proposal at Leicester North is still very much "Live" but a lot depends upon the Leicester Council I believe and they have had Covid and financial pressure to cope with - as have all others concerned. So basic work has been done on ground investigations.
    The remaining double track from Rothley to L North is again still on the "to do list" when the conditions are right. The Siding to the South of Rothley is being re jigged and this will help with this project.
    There is also much work to be done with the GCR(N) and there is now much greater co-operation with the various elements.
    As ever these all depend upon funding/planning consents/expertise - volunteer or paid for......more help is always appreciated!

12. brennan

brennan Member

Please be careful. This looks like criticism and that's not permitted on this website.

13. Andrew MI

Andrew MI New Member

That is certainly not the intention - for a well and established heritage line to have a list of some pretty unique projects is exciting. It will inevitably take decades to deliver and as such plans will invariably change and evolve with circumstances - I just wanted to understand the present position.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    The Dainton Banker likes this.
  14. damianrhysmoore

damianrhysmoore Well-Known Member

Osteopath
    The projects seem to be moving forward and raising funds at a good rate. I think that's exciting and impressive

15. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Please show where that is stated in the rules.
    Constructive criticism is fine, but simply posting a list of gripes is not a good use of anyone's time.
    Andrew's post reads as an enquiry to me.

16. Flying Phil

Hi again
    I should also have added that the GCR will be replacing two bridges either side of Quorn station......but this almost seems like a routine operation rather than two major projects!

17. Andrew MI

Andrew MI New Member

It is remarkable that relatively large civil engineering projects seem to have become run of the mill on the GCR! Perhaps whilst there is significant expertise and momentum behind bridge replacements this could be an ongoing activity (over the north and the south) to set them up for the next 100 years?

18. Andy Moody

Andy Moody Member

Retired
    +1 I too saw it as an inquiry as well.

19. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

The railway should be congratulated. Investment and improvement of infrastructure is essential and will pay off long term. For each project to be individually funded is commendable too and takes pressure off day to day costs.
    The only other railway that can draw comparison is the Ffestiniog. What they have achieved infrastructure wise in the last 10 to 15 years is remarkable and they have just issued a further 10 year plan which shows no let up.
    My only question would be is there progress in getting all rolling stock undercover? There is nothing worse than seeing hard work on restorations deteriorate in our inclement weather.

mgl, The Dainton Banker and Miff like this.
  20. Flying Phil

The GCR does have a carriage shed at Swithland that was doubled in length a couple of years ago, so can now hold 24 coaches on the three roads I believe. Half is RVP, half GCR. There are also usually 3 or 4 coaches under cover being worked on at Rothley.

Johnme101 and acorb like this.