If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

bridge over Severn @ Hampton Loade

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by TonyMay, Mar 9, 2010.

1. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

Coming to Hampton Loade there's little parking on the west (Hampton) side of the river where the station is. On SVR gala days it gets a little busy there. The obvious solution is to drive to Hampton Loade where there is parking and use Hampton Loade Ferry. Fair enough. However, the ferry only operates in high season. So out of high season, is is possible to use waterworks bridge to the north of Hampton/Hampton Loade to cross the river?

I understand that this isn't a public highway, and I don't think you can drive over the bridge without driving through the waterworks, but is there anything actually preventing you from doing this? And if it is possible, what is the reaction of the waterboard if you try?

If crossing by car is not possible, is it possible to cross on foot? Again, is there anything preventing you from doing this? If so, can I climb over it? And if it is possible, what is the reaction of the waterboard if you try?

I'm just curious as to whether this is possible; I understand that the waterboard might have a spectrum of reactions from allowing it and not caring to going after you with shotguns so I just wondered what the deal was.

Cheers,

Tony.

PS why can't i register on the SVR-online forum?

2. D1039

D1039 Guest

No idea, but I guess it'd be private property and at least trespass

If I recall, to register for the forum you email the webmaster webmaster@svr-online.org.uk who registers you, this is to prevent spamming

Regards

Patrick [hearn_p]

3. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It used to be crossed by locals - however one was killed on the SVR crossing a few years ago - since then barriers have been installed on the bridge - I understand Severn Trent employees and the emergency services are the only ones who can open said barriers.

4. Rileys Ghost

Rileys Ghost New Member Account Suspended

5. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Hampton Loade is one place that is better accessed by rail. The road down from the Bridgnorth-Highley road has long stretches where you cannot pass another car, and at the river, as far as I am aware there is no road on the opposite side of the Severn where the ferry is, just a footpath across the fields to Dudmaston Hall. There is only a small car park at the station and no space on the road to park.
    HL is worth a visit though, both to see trains cross, and to visit the excellent secondhand book and railwayana shop in the goods wagon. The station kiosk appears to do good trade both to visitors by rail, and cyclists on the adjacent cyclepath route.

6. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

The other answer is to park at the country park and take a nice pleasant stroll to HL via the foot/cyclepath which of course runs alongside the railway for a large part of it's length. It's about a 20 min walk from the country park car park to the station.

7. 46118

Re my comments above about HL, I notice looking at my " analogue sat-nav" that there is a road shown from the A442 towards HL, but stopping short on the eastern side of the river.

There is on the A442 Bridgnorth-Kidderminster road a roadsign saying no access to somewhere, "sat-nav error", but I thought that was Arley, not HL.

Pete, how do you get to the Country Park car park? I assume it is on the east of the river, there is a footbridge across the river?

Thanks

8. Pete Thornhill

To go to the country park from Kiddie or Bridgnorth go to Aveley and follow the signs off the A442. They take you to the main carpark and visitor centre. From there you are able to follow the path down to the river and then over what was the old miners bridge (since rebuilt). From there follow the sign posts for the country park halt which you will come to and then if you continue along that path it is the path that runs along the lineside to Hampton Loade. There is also another carpark that can be accessed from Highley. I think it's off the B4555 IIRC. This isn't part of the country park proper (although is signed as such) but is actually the other end of the path that runs up from the woodland area the Engine House and is around half a mile away from the station.

9. 46118

Thanks for that. I was aware of the Highley one, but not the one nearer HL.

I must make a note to write to John Leach and ask if there are any plans for a rewritten brochure showing all the various walks and cycleways/walks that follow the railway. I have a superb folder given to me at the Kent & East Sussex showing walks between their stations, all superimposed on os maps. I have hesitated to send it in to John because I didn't want to be thought of as trying to tell him how to do his job.

10. Pete Thornhill

There used to be guides for walking at Highley and Arley and I think there might of been others (cant remember for sure!) but I don't know if they are still on sale or when they were last updated (the original ones predated the Engine House for example) but I think they were quite a good idea and think what you suggest here is even better. I do hope the railway develops this idea!

Going back to the Country Park to gve you an idea very roughly, from the railway point of view the main country park gives lineside access from the Golf course just past Highley, once you reach the Country park halt the foot path follows the railways route for pretty much the whole section to Hamton Loade. There is a bit more info here http://www.shropshiretourism.co.uk/attractiondetails.php?estid=1828

To add to that as I regularly do, the walk for the able bodied is relativiately easy to Hampton Loade and if you wished it is possible to park at the country park, walk to Hampton loade, Visit the refreshment kiosk(- Sandwhiches, ice creams and the usual light refreshments available!!!) and then back to the Country park inside 3 hours.

11. michaelh

No it's Hampton Loade as said sign also says that the ferry is for foot passengers only.

12. 46118

Cheers Michael.

Dont these sat-nav people take on board the errors in their system?

13. michaelh

Appears not as Shropshire County Council felt impelled to put up the sign - I must admit I smile every time I pass it and think of Polish juggernauts trying to reverse up the lane :)