If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

BR Standard class 6 No. 72010 'Hengist' and Clan Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Bulleid Pacific, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Its been a while since a thread on this new-build project has been posted up (there's one in the archives, I think), so here's a new one. Any news on progress? The website's been quiet since August.

2. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    For a brief update, as far as I can ascertain, the group is still collecting the myriad small pieces that make up this locomotive.

3. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  4. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Yep, had a peep at that fairly recently, and they seem to be making reasonable progress with the smokebox. Again, the boiler will be the killer issue, although I've no doubt we will eventually see 72010. At least I've now seen adverts in the railway press, so the publicity issue is getting better. Looking forward to the day when we have a line-up of 6MT, 7MT, 8P and 9F at a gala!

5. ianh

ianh Member

Farmer -
    Just had a look at the web site.

Very impressed with current progress and the growing collection of non ferrous parts, hopefully some of Mr Rileys experiance can be used to progress things in 2010.

Best of luck with the continued fundraising

Ian H

6. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

I've always thought the Clans were good looking engines, & worthy of a new build. Will the building group iron out some of their known steaming probs. like the Duke bods did for her?
    You never know, we may see a transformed Clan!

7. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Whilst I'm not able to support this project financially (too many other locos!) I think that it is an excellent idea and the progress made thus far has been impressive. Again, the boiler is always going to be the big issue but nothing's impossible given the appropriate support and skill. I know that it may be foolish to wish for an entire group of locomotives to survive for generations in the future to experience but I would vote for that entire group to be the BR Standard Group (no, not a GWR group!). There are a number of reasons for this but perhaps a clue is in the name! We have been very lucky in that most of the 12 BR Standard family of steam locomotives survived into the preservation era (71000 being an extremely lucky loco) and this new "Clan" together with the SVR-based 82045 and the 84xxx 2-6-2T being re-engineered on the Bluebell will mean that the Standard Family will be complete... except for the 2-6-0 Class 3 77xxx and, let's face it, it's not too big a jump to produce one of these using many of the patterns available, especially from 82045. I think a "collector's set" of Standards is definitely achievable and most of them (the smaller types especially) would be, or already are, suitable for heritage lines.

8. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I assume the steam circuit is pretty well OK as it's a modern design, so I'd be concentrating on the damper/draughting arrangements as per the DofG. Plenty of expertise out there still.

9. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

2010 is the Year of 72010....and if its not it should be...good luck guys...

10. andysleigh

andysleigh Member

Looks an interesting project, i like it!
    shall be supporting it all the way.

pity it wont be mainline worthy

11. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    It is a shame its not going mainline, but you'll never know what the future holds once its built. I've read that they were excellent hill-climbers (I presume there was better balance between power and adhesion than on the Brits), so it would be interesting to see how one fares in this day and age. I don't think there was anything particularly wrong with the design, just that a smaller boiler and firebox presents a different set of challenges to the crew. Those who had them regularly stated that they were free-steaming if you knew what you were doing, and a few even rated them above the Brits. Once I finish paying for my share in 34053 next year, I may consider donating a few quid towards this one.

12. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

I take it they were a 225ib boiler?

13. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Yes, so you could say a slightly de-tuned Britannia, but its all 'in theory'. A new one may actually prove itself better than a Britannia in service if given a chance!

14. andysleigh

andysleigh Member

looking at the website, i cant accually tell what stage its at, does anybody know?

also, it says the whistle has been cast from pattern on loan from 71000, the Duke.
    So will it sound like the whistle the Duke has now? i seem to recall it having a different whistle at some point, which sounded more like a brits

15. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

oh good a whistle has been made! Well its a start (of sorts) on the boiler (wink wink)

16. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    They have the frames, and I've read somewhere that Riley & Son have been contracted to assemble them. They already have the smokebox fairly complete, buffers, and a myriad of small bits. They've also had quotes for the boiler, but that's for the future. I'm sure the whistle will be similar to those fitted to the class 7s and 8 (I thought they were all chime whistles, but I could be corrected on this).

17. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
  18. northernsteam

northernsteam Member

Used to be in civil engineering, highway bridges.
    Hi, just joined, feel I must add to this thread. I am a contributor to this project even though I don't expect it will ever visit my part of Britian. They were a rare sight except in NW England and SW Scotland but always seemed slightly more graceful than the larger Brit's. The work is still progressing but, like all projects, needs more cash to enable larger items to be made to achieve eye catching progress. It won't succeed short term unless a big sponsor comes along, but if lots of people gave a little regularly then anything can be achieved, 'Tornado' is an example. I'm doing my bit, anyone else care to join me?

19. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    One thing I'd like to see on the 72010 website is a Direct Debit form similar to that featured on the Southern Locomotives Ltd. website, which would probably encourage more support through quicker correspondence. At the moment, its a bit of a toss-up between supporting this and/or 34072, although it all depends on how much disposable income I have after I finish paying for my share in 34053 in August. My car has swallowed a fair bit since I posted in January, too...

20. northernsteam

northernsteam Member

Used to be in civil engineering, highway bridges.
    ..........yep, that's always the problem. So many other things to spend the money on. Can folk afford to donate a 'gallon' of petrol a week to help build a brand new steam locomotive? Better still, Gift Aid it then it's nearly 6 litres![​IMG]