If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

BR inspectors caps

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by John Casingena, Apr 21, 2018.

1. John Casingena

John Casingena New Member

Did british railways inspectors caps have gold braid on the peak in 60's seen one on ebay that dose mine in my collection dose not is has 2 rows of gold piping on the cap band and the lion over wheel badge with inspector on it

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/232736448045

2. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The definitive answer may be in Frogat's book "Buttons Badges and Uniforms". Purely from memory but recolection is that both may be right. I have an inkling that caps related to size and importance of station, the more important the station the more scrambled egg

3. Martin Adalar

Martin Adalar New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes they did, the wreath on the badge was originally (in 1960) hand wire embroidered but later ones as on the eBay link were cast in brass and then electroplated to give them the bright yellow colour. After the new Inter City cap styles came in in 1964 Inspectors had two gold bands, Stationmaster three and stationmasters at very large stations like Euston would have had gold leaves of "Travellers Joy" on the peak and all around the mock fold down portion of the cap.