If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

BR enamel cap badges

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by John Casingena, Jan 7, 2019.

1. John Casingena

John Casingena New Member

If you buy a br enamel cap badge and some of the enamel has came off can you buy enamel paint and repair it as it will be cheaper that buying a perfect condition original

2. DragonHandler

DragonHandler Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    As I understand enamelling it involves filling the area to be enamelled with a coloured glass power and then firing the item in a kiln.
    So yes, you could paint missing area with an enamel paint, and if you match the colour perfectly, it won't notice at a distance but close up it'll be obvious that a bit of the enamel is missing and the gap has been painted.

3. Mandator

Mandator Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Best method is to fill missing areas with car body filler. Smooth off and paint with car body paint (Holts etc) masking off original enamel with tape or PVA glue [this will peel off after painting]. Careful use of cotton buds and T-Cut will restore nicely. Hell of a faff tho.

4. John Casingena

John Casingena New Member

Thanks for the tips only going to be on a peak cap so wont be seen close up