If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

BR 9F 92214

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Corbs, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Funny you should mention all that........

I've yet to hear the outcry of 92212 being renumbered & weathered (if allowed) to 92189 IIRC, for charters during her proposed visit............. :eek:

The temerity of it, how dare they, she's ours (MHR) and will always be 92212!! :mad:

2. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

(Deleted)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  3. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

Its like renaming 34070 Manston to 34105 Swanage At Swanage. Think the M.H. would love that!

4. Guitar

Guitar New Member

Evening Star is the name of a 9F class steam locomotive, numbered 92220.
    What you'll be seeing is a 9F class steam loco, named Evening Star, and numbered 92220.
    Seems like you'll be getting exactly what it says on the tin.

Now if people turn up and they have have called an Austerity 0-6-0 Evening Star, then I would say they have something to complain about.

andrewshimmin and joe_issitt like this.
  5. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

The Evening Star 'renaming' is being done with the agreement of all parties as far as I am aware.

6. Snifter

Snifter Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Perhaps they should get Her Majesty to conduct the naming ceremony. Not the real HRH but Timmy Mallet in a wig.

maddog and NickPreston like this.
  7. polmadie

polmadie Well-Known Member

Being a Scot I associate Eastfield as 65A a Glasgow depot and I doubt it ever saw 25+ 9F's in its whole existence. Where is your Eastfield yard?

8. NickPreston

NickPreston Member

Sorry it's 35a New England, that's Eastfield, Peterborough. I think he said he remembers 29, and the 9F's and Britannia's based there were always so dirty that they often struggled to get a number for them.

9. polmadie

polmadie Well-Known Member

Thanks for that.

10. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Were Britannias based at New England ? The 9Fs covered the Ferme Park workings IIRC but any Britannias around were either from 31B March or 40B Immingham surely ?

11. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Go to York and have a look at the front end and underneath the front. There are still signs of the front end damage if you look, as I did yesterday.

g8bvl, Jimc, std tank and 2 others like this.
  12. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Joe Schmoe hears that there's some sort of do on at the GCR, turns up and sees a loco that appears to be Evening Star. What documents is he supposed to have read? What information does he see there and then? Will he be deceived or not? (N.B. I don't know the answer to that.)

13. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    There's the website, the railway press (in the form of advertisements), leaflets from the railway, online forums and you've also got people (volunteers and paid staff) at the railway who'll happily explain.

That's a lot of information freely available and clearly showing it's a portrayal, not a deception.

14. Raimondo

Raimondo New Member

I think it's a bit unfair to band around words like 'deception'. If anyone actually took the time to look that the event page on the GCR's website it makes the swapping of identities pretty clear...

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/special-events/railways-at-work-weekend-1819-april/

Then the opening paragraph reads..

"Great Central Railway 9F locomotive is swapping identities to bring a national treasure to life and will be the star at our Railways at Work Weekend"

...and then the detail states:

"The real ‘Evening Star’ still exists and is on display at the National Railway Museum in York. However, there are no plans for it to return to steam. Now with the agreement of the NRM and the support of the locomotive owner, Cromwell Tools, 92214 (which is painted in the same distinctive lined Brunswick Green livery as its classmate) will assume the name and number of ‘Evening Star’ and a new generation will see a recreation of this icon of the 1960s".

So overall it is pretty clear.

With seven locos working with the 9F, Raveningham Hall, the newly-returned-to black 8F, the Black 5, 78019, Jinty 47406 and 46521 it looks like a pretty impressive weekend.

Still, I'm sure there will be those who still moan because the livery on one particular rivet isn't original...

Victor, Martin Perry, 45076 and 2 others like this.
  15. NickPreston

NickPreston Member

Agreed, looks like a good line up. Should be a cracking weekend.

It's not the livery that's a potential issue, it's that identity.

16. GeoffS75

GeoffS75 Member

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if already mentioned, but surely there is a historical precedent with 6152 pretending to be 6100 (although I appreciate that was more a swap) and no doubt plenty of other instances?

17. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Without trawling through all the pages, was there ever an answer to the copper cap chimney issue ?, or will "92220" be on display with one glaring error in the copying ?.

18. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    The original 6152 was swapped with 6100 prior to rebuilding, but how much of 6152 is on the present 46100? Very little is the answer. New frame plates, stretchers from another of the Class, new cylinders, new boiler, etc, etc. Maybe the wheel sets are 6152's. I wonder what number is stamped on the motion parts.

19. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Isn't it a bore when someone stuffs up a nice conspiracy theory with the facts.

Of course that wouldn't stop a really full on conspiracy theorist: it might be that the swap was with a loco with more minor front end damage, or maybe one of your predecessors got busy with a hammer and crowbar as part of the cover up...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    Matt37401 and maddog like this.
  20. Raimondo

Raimondo New Member

I happened to be in Loughborough this morning and was able to drop in at the shed. Yes, I can confirm that '92220' does indeed have the copper cap chimney and looks magnificent. (As does the newly-repainted 8F).

david1984 likes this.