If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

BR 9F 92214

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Corbs, Feb 25, 2015.

1. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Isn't that exactly what they are doing by including the plaque?

Jamessquared likes this.
  2. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

Can I add a big so what to the discussion?

Its the owners prerogative to do what he wants with his loco.

It is a fabulous machine having been on it whilst at the SVR over christmas. Yes it looks a bit different but it is big green and has a name on the side and joe blogs and son will remember that and will want to come back and see it again. And isnt that the point of a modern heritage railway. To keep the next generation coming through to keep the railway going.

Martin Perry likes this.
  3. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Not really, because the announcement says:
    The real ‘Evening Star’ still exists and is on display at the National Railway Museum in York.
    The website being the public facing voice of the GCR. The stock lists will presumably still show '92214'. Anyone who cares to enquire can look it up online, or ask a staff member or volunteer (who presumably will be the kind of person who cares what the loco's real identity is).

4. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    A bit of a contradiction there I think, pay some money and it's OK, no payment.........."heritage assets that should not be exploited." :confused:

Martin Perry likes this.
  5. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Not at all my cup of tea, I'm afraid. The verandah section is disproportionately long - unlike the one on the West Coast Met Camm - and the livery is far too fiddly. Still, as you say, it's there to make money and I hope it does well for the line.

6. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Gonna be disappointed then aint they. They are gonna come back and say "Where is Evening Star"? Reply? "What you on about, woz never here mush, its in the NRM - not moved for 15 years"

7. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    I think its currently carrying 'Central Star' nameplates.

Chris

8. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    ;)
    Its not too long. Any shorter and you couldnt get a set of garden furniture including a swing seat and a barbeque on it now could you, its bad enough that the hot tub.... err extra water capacity has had to go inside
    ( ill put the KeTle on.)

Bramblewick likes this.
  9. 46203

46203 Member

Royal Scotsman @ Garsdale, 1991. .jpg

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

How is that different to "insert your loco of choice" that happened to be onloan / visiting the railway that season ?

11. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    I've just received the latest email from the GCR. The news regarding the transformation of 92214 all sounds very positive
    to me .....bring it on. <BJ>

“Evening Star” takes to the rails again!
    [​IMG]
    A remarkable piece of railway history is coming back to life at the Great Central Railway. The mighty 9F locomotive based at the line, number 92214, is taking on a new identity as famous classmate number 92220 ‘Evening Star’.

The real ‘Evening Star’ still exists and is on display at the National Railway Museum in York. However, there are no plans for it to return to steam. Now with the agreement of the NRM and the support of the locomotive owner, Cromwell Tools, 92214 (which is painted in the same distinctive lined Brunswick Green livery as its classmate) will assume the name and number of ‘Evening Star’ and a new generation will see a recreation of this icon of the 1960s.

12. NickPreston

NickPreston Member

Now I don't know if it's just me, but it just seems that knowing what we know now, it's too obvious that this was always the plan when it was decided to paint it lined green. I mean, why run 'just another' 9F?

With or without the permission of the current owner/custodian of 92220, if it isn't made very clear to the visiting public that this is not the loco that it is imitating, then in legal terms I believe it would be classed as 'passing off' which is basically imitating another product with a greater value for commercial gain. Got to be careful here:

Passing-Off Legal Definition: Making some false representation likely to induce a person to believe that the goods or services are those of another.

26D_M likes this.
  13. oddsocks

oddsocks Well-Known Member

Retired / Dodging a Coffin for as long as I can.
    Half a mile east of Snells Nook Halt. (1883-1931)
    IMG_1922a.jpg
    92214 last Saturday, 21/02/2015.

Corbs likes this.
  14. keith6233

keith6233 Member

Engineer
    Preserved railways have got to keep refreshing the product and giving engines names is a good idea which the public like .Without the public and volunteer's there would be no preserved railways enthusiast's probably account for about 5% of visitors

2392 likes this.
  15. talyllyn1

talyllyn1 Member

I had the "privilege" of working for 92214's owner in a managerial capacity for over 13 years. Autocratic and unpredictable, he insisted on getting things done "his way" - the mark of a successful entrepreneur. Life was never dull, but the highlight of my encounter with him was playing a leading role in setting up a series of private charters on BR for our customers using Pullman Rail's Met-Cam set and 4472 Flying Scotsman in 1987. It was then that I discovered that he harboured an interest in steam railways.
    It was difficult to determine how serious he was as any discussion of the finer points resulted in a certain amount of mickey taking. He had several photos of 70013 Oliver Cromwell on his office wall, but laughed off suggestions that he should try to buy it.
    I have thus been rather surprised that he has invested so much in the Mk1 "Pullmans" on the GCR and 92214. Having done it though, I'm not surprised that he had 92214 painted lined green - he would probably have wanted a Brit. instead if one was available.
    Having seen some of the stunts he pulled in business just to wind people up, if there was sufficient backlash to any name or livery he chooses for his loco I wouldn't be surprised to see it turned out as "Kylie" in bright pink! We should perhaps be grateful that he didn't decide to spend some of his hard-earned fortune on another interest.

oddsocks, Corbs, Matt37401 and 2 others like this.
  16. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Sounds a bit left wing to me. - THATS IT - PROBLEM SOLVED!

Rename it "Morning Star"

26D_M and Matt37401 like this.
  17. free2grice

Oh no. That could really complicate matters as 92207 was once named 'Morning Star'. <BJ>

18. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Proposed but as it hasn't run as such is it actually named?

19. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Given all the froth over the change of identity for 92214, and the apparent endorsement by the NRM, I'm left wondering if this isn't some kind of PR malarkey to do with the bid to the HLF for the NRM satellite museum at Leicester?................. and that 92214 running round as 92220 is a glimpse of what to expect in the future? Should the plan come to fruition..........

Corbs and Hampshire Unit like this.
  20. free2grice

I believe it was named Morning Star shortly before it departed from Barry. <BJ>