If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

BR 9F 92214

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Corbs, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Rbridge100

Rbridge100 New Member

I wouldn't lose sleep over this, it's only a publicity stunt. If you really wanted to publicise 92220 you'd bring it down from York; I'm sure the sight of two green 9Fs together would be a draw, and Loughborough would be a more convenient location to see it for many people.

2. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    Read all about it, ( just scroll down a little bit) Martin Walker is the owners name and you can email him from a link on their web site.
    https://royalscotsgrey.wordpress.com/

3. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I like the Mk1 Verandah coach. if it had been a Mk3 originally would that be better ? Its not as if there is a chronic shortage of MK1's.
    Is it because it trivialises Heritage steam that it gets folks backs up...
    Just wait till Tysely out shop their new Water carrier cum Hot tub GUV

Bramblewick likes this.
  4. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Pretty much my feelings too........ and no doubt driven by said charter organiser in a (desperate?) attempt to drum up business?....... seeing as how I received notification of the change several days before "the Story broke"..........

I for one will not be parting with my hard earned to either participate in said charters or trundle up to GCR to see it, I'll just carry straight on up to York and see the real thing. ;) :)

I saw 92214 last year in black & weathered - much better! :Woot:

green five and 26D_M like this.
  5. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Vitriol and aggression is bit too strong to describe this. The real gripe is with the NRM endorsement of this tawdry commercial opportunism. Personal opinion obviously but national collection locos should be sacrosanct from being faked.

green five and Duty Druid like this.
  6. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

7. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

It is half a job unless there's a cunning plan to make the chimney look like a copper capped version.

Corbs likes this.
  8. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Agree.

9. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Besides which I don't think I've ever seen anybody getting het up about West Coast's balcony ended Met Camm Pullman.

10. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Assuming this in response to the post preceding it, in my opinion NRM locos are heritage assets of the UK and their status as such ought not to be exploited for the commercial benefit of private individuals or businesses. Unless there is some contribution to the NRM coffers commensurate with the benefit gained.

green five likes this.
  11. Penricecastle

Penricecastle Member

Several 9Fs are preserved, all except one are double chimney versions. The only livery (with the exception of the real 92220 Evening Star) that they can authentically carry is plain black with the post-1956 emblem. The exception is the sole single chimney 9F, which could possibly carry the earlier lion over wheel BR crest.

The real Evening Star was active in the 1970's and 80's, but is unlikely to steam again, or at least not for many years. The painting of 92214 in lined BR green was, in my opinion, an excellent move. My only comment would be that it would look even better with a copper cap over the cast double chimney, like the real 92220. I think that to fabricate a copper cap, as carried by the real 92220 would be quite easy.

As has been mentioned by others, loco identity changes are quite commonplace. To run 92214 as 92220 Evening Star, for a temporary period, seems quite reasonable to me.

People who never saw the real 92220 in steam will now be able to see a living, steaming "clone" of it, for a short while. If the repaint 0f 92214 into BR lined green hadn't been done, we may only have been able to enjoy plain black 9Fs, all for the sake of authenticity.

In my opinion, to see 92214 running as 92220 Evening Star, for a short time is an excellent idea.

michaelh and Corbs like this.
  12. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Let us hope that this venture is mutually beneficial for all parties concerned then! That said, it is between them so I do not expect to find out either way.

13. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    How about returning 92220 to its original February 1960 all black livery. Photo in RCTS Standard Steam Locomotives Vol 4.
    Note I say 92220, not Evening Star.

14. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Not sure West Coast claim to be trying to recreate a mainline in steam days, and isn't that vehicle (if it's the one I'm thinking of) used on the Royal Scotsman ?, that train used to cart rich tourists around Scotland behind a diesel and doesn't pretend to be anything else like a steam era recreation.

15. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    I think it was the owners of Royal Scotsman at that time that put the balcony on. And I seem to recall Murray Brown making similer noises about butchering a such a historic piece of kit.

16. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

I shouldn't think that the GCR pretends that its diner set is historically accurate. It's a means of making money to fund more worthy projects, and that's all it is.

17. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    This all reminds me of something I posted long ago. I asked the man controlling admission to Captain Cook's "Endeavour" in Sydney harbour how it could be there and at Whitby. "Simple sport, they're both fakes, the real one sank"!

18. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

The NRM have allowed this "identity theft" to happen before when 34105 became 34051 at Ropley. I wasn't keen on that either to be honest. It just doesn't seem right that they are "conning" people in a way. Makes me wonder what they will allow in the future? "We won't be operating 70013 anymore but 70000 will borrow her identity to introduce this icon of the end of steam to a new generation".

MikeParkin65 and Jamessquared like this.
  19. richards

richards Part of the furniture

20. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

I think we may just never agree on this, because I read your post and cannot find the bit to be angry about, in fact I am in agreement with the final sentence.
    Personally I believe it's only a con if (for example in this case) the GCR said 'we now operate 92220, the last steam loco built by BR' rather than '92214 is painted and numbered as it's classmate 92220, which was the last steam loco built by BR'. Nothing has been stolen, it's not like they've not asked the NRM for the rights to use it.
    Maybe we have different opinions about steam loco identities, but that's ok!