If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell railway SECR locos line up

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by LN850, Feb 18, 2009.

1. lostprairie

lostprairie New Member

I too am disappointed at the lack of the goods train weekend this year - it was a unique event. I also get fed up with side swipes at lineside photographers - my annual spend at the Bluebell last year including membership, pass, travel, donations, etc was well in excess of £300.00 - more than the average family of four on a one off visit I'll bet.

2. Columbine

Columbine Member

Me too! The tourist trap at SP, the carriage shop at HK ... I rarely spend less than £30 per visit in those two establishments and then there is Membership, lineside pass and petrol.

I think there would be a great benefit to the railway if the volunteers just kept their gobs shut! Their work is greatly appreciated but their remarks definitely do harm to the railway amongst the enthusiast community. I wish I had a tenner for every time some volunteer or other had a go.

I'm finding it more difficult to motivate myself to drive the 70 miles or so to the railway nowadays what with all the controversy and the social skills issue with the volunteers. I've just looked at the railway's website and 'stepney' is right ... not a lot until October. It's all very worthy but can the railway compete with other attractions in Sussex with such a poor program?

Regards

3. lostprairie

lostprairie New Member

My comment was not necessarily aimed at volunteers - as I am one myself! (though not at the Bluebell). I think I am more disappointed at the directors and other decision makers at Heritage Railways who 'see no significant income' deriving from lineside passes, and who seem to be increasingly sidelining the enthusiast. This strikes me as short sighted because in times of economic turmoil it will be the family day out business that railways will lose long before that of the enthusiast.