If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell railway SECR locos line up

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by LN850, Feb 18, 2009.

1. jonpbowers

jonpbowers New Member

So, Nos.672, 753, 65, 592, 80151 and 9017 were all to be seen on service trains today (yes, 592 got a go on the 4.10pm, surprising just about all of us!) and the service ran all but to time throughout. Plus 1638 was also in light steam at Sheffield Park. So much for the loco crisis!

Train combos suited the locos, the sun shone and the passengers seemed to be happy - what more could you ask for from a gala :)

Cheers,
    Jon

2. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Wonderful stuff today, Bluebell at it's finest if you ask me. From some glorious 672 "thrash" up the bank on the second train of the day to the glorious sight of 592, 65 and the Mets in the late afternoon sun at Horsted, truly magic stuff. And best of all, everything ran. The works did a great job outshopping 592 for the last trains, getting 65 back in time, having 1638 back for tomorrow. Heck, even the 73 was running at Horsted for most of the afternoon! Pictures and video will follow in the enxt couple of days once I've sorted my stuff out and gone back up north.

3. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer
    Great weather on Sat, I made a dash across after seeing Tangmere in the morning.

A couple of shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The full series is on my website, enjoy!

4. Columbine

Columbine Member

'Photomatt',

Super pictures, as ever. Unfortunately I haven't been able to attend because of a family bereavement but the BRPS volunteers seem to have excelled themselves this weekend particularly the loco staff, bearing in mind earlier reports. Well done too to them!

Regards

5. stepney60

6. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
    Just got in from putting the last trains to bed this weekend. I don't think i've ever had as many loco changes, double headers, heck even triple headers and stock formations as I have had this weekend. Started at 09:45 on saturday and haven't stopped since. Fantastic gala I thought. Especially with the suprise double Chathams on my train on Saturday afternoon and the double Chat's + Dukedog this morning. Some photos, aplogies for the odd colours, only had the phone. Must go, my feet hurt!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. dhic001

dhic001 Member

Great pics Tom, love the three SECR liveried ones together, very impressive.
    Daniel

8. CraigS

CraigS Member

9. stepney60

10. Jdwitts

Jdwitts New Member

It's great to see the triple-headers are still run at the Branchline weekend. It's always one of my favourite Bluebell Galas and something the line does really well. I've got lots of happy memories such as travelling to Kingscote in the observation car pulled by 'Bluebell' with the 9F club many years ago, and the '99 event I think with the classic Bluebell triple-header of Stepney/Bluebell/Birch Grove. :D

11. Seagull

Seagull Member

I was a Sheffield Park for a couple of hours on Saturday and have to say that despite all the Bluebell knockers on here think, they can still put on a fabulous event. It's hard to think of another line that could put on such a great display of pre grouping locos and stock, all superbly turned out. Praise where it's due, well done Bluebell!

12. i_like_trains

i_like_trains New Member

I was at the Bluebell on the Saturday and had a great day there.
    The weather was good and there were lots of people in the trains, not just standing in a field taking snaps. There were lots a families too which is very important for any railway.
    The mixed train behind 753 was very busy and I was lucky to get on it but I had to stand.It sounded great on the banks!
    All the hoo ha I read on here detracts from everyone who works hard to put on these events and running the railway in general.
    The point of a Heritage Line like the Bluebell is to be a rewarding experience for everyone who is involved, volunteers,visitors and so on.
    I'm now looking forward to seeing the 'Dog at the LLangollen.
    Ta ta.
    ILT.

13. Baynards

Baynards Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I was down Sunday and have to say enjoyed the gala. I think the highlight was seeing the 3 SECR locos triple heading. What a sight.

Also I think the Loco workshops guys (although all other departments shouldn't be ignored either) should give themselves a huge pat on the back for managing to have all locos in steam and running over the weekend including the C-Class whose new springs only arrived on Friday.

Well Done Guys! Roll on the next Gala! =D> =D> =D>

14. stepney60

It'll be a while, the next scheduled gala in this vein is the Giants of Steam Weekend in October, as Goods train weekend has been cancelled this year to cut costs.

15. David

David Member

water meter reader
    Yeah disappointing that there will be no Goods w/e this year as it did provide a good opportunity to show off the Bluebell's superb vintage wagons. But I guess atleast this gives us a good 8 months to debate what the visiting loco will be for Giants this year lol. :-k How about the Super D then?

16. Columbine

Columbine Member

Didn't the goods train weekends make money then? The railway always seemed to be well patronised during these events. Still there are other events on other railways in April, but it will mean that I won't be spending at the Bluebell but at the East Lancs and Llangollen.

Seems a funny way for the Bluebell to stay in business ](*,) ](*,)

Regards

17. stepney60

Apparently the cost of steaming two extra engines and running the goods trains was not covered by an increase in ticket sales, presumably because people stood on the lineside and watched? *Hides*

18. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer
    Have you gone mad? I'm not sure I can think of anything worse than the Super D at the BB, actually I can a Super D and Q6 double header.

I too am very disappointed about the lack of a "Goods Weekend" was always a good event. That said I can only echo the other comments, that this weekend was executed extremely well, round of applause for all those involved.

19. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

The non running of the Goods train has been covered on another thread.
    viewtopic.php?f=43&t=18041

20. David

David Member

water meter reader
    Yes I thought Goods w/e was more photogenic than Branch Line w/e and certainly enjoyed it more than last year's Branch Line w/e and the year before. Although I don't think we could beat this year's Branch Line w.e it will be sorely missed in April.

Ok Matt no Super D how about Manston as the visiting loco for Giants and double-heading it with Sir Archie? Also does Jon have any plans for charters with Sir Archie in the Autumn?