If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway Giants of Steam 22nd-24th October 2010

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Dan Hill, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Some details of this seem to be out on the Bluebell site, though because of its repairs 70013 Oliver Cromwell is no longer appearing which is a shame.

* 30777 Sir Lamiel is the visiting loco (which is a second attempt at a visit after it failed last year and sadly couldn't attend)
    * 80151, 1638, B473, 592 and 672 (maybe one of its final appearances before withdrawl as I believe its boiler ticket is up next year) but this line up is all that appears on the Bluebell website.
    * Ardingly Brakevan Rides
    * Imberhorne Shuttles with the OBO (to Imberhorne South)
    * Stationary Engine Display at Horsted Keynes
    * Carriage Shed Tours
    * Pullmans and GNR Saloon open for 1st class passengers
    * Vinatage Bus from Brighton to Sheffield Park (on Sunday only)
    * 473 Bus from East Grinstead to Kingscote

For me personally this is special as tt's 15 years since my first visit to the Bluebell when coincidentally 30777 was visiting then. I think I was about 3 or 4 years old.

2. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    It looks a super event, but quite how we can have a "Giants" theme with 672, B473 and 592 is anyone's guess. I can understand if 672 is gonna be used on the Imberhorne shuttles to help raise money to clear the tip but surely B473 and 592 on the main passenger services would not be appropriate sized engines for Giants of Steam. If Cromwell and Sir Archie can't make Giants of Steam then surely we must rename Giants of Steam to Autumn Gala, as we did a couple of years ago, because sadly we dont have enough big engines to stage such a gala anymore.

3. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Stepney and 178 are also listed on the Loco roster.

Sir Lamiel is also shown as running on 9th, 10th, 16th & 17th.

4. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    With Steppers and 178 added, Giants is now resembling more of an old style "Bluebell On Parade" gala than a "Giants of Steam" event. Unfortunately gone are the days we could call upon home fleet locos such as the 9F, B.V. Camelot, 75027, 33001, 847 and going back further Port Line. Sadly at this current time we just don't have enough of our own large/medium locos to be able to do a "Giants" themed gala. If 34059 & 70013 can't make it (although no official confirmation has been made about Cromwell) and a another large visiting loco can't be brought in then the theme name really needs to change.
    It's a real shame as our Giants of Steam gala was always my favourite event of the year and we've had some superb previous Giants galas. But we can't really call this year's event a "Giants of Steam" if 34059 is out along with 70013 and we also have to use the likes of 672, B473, 55, 178 & 593 - all superb engines in their own right but not appropriate of a "giants" theme. It may be only a few weeks to go before our gala but let's rename it either "Autumn Gala" or "Bluebell On Parade" to suite the size of engines we plan to use.

5. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    It's been harder to have a Giants since the focus of motive power switched to Class 1/2 locos. With Class 2 locos now able to pull 5 coaches and costing much less to run than a Class 4 loco it doesn't make sense to have such a 'top heavy' fleet like we had in the 90s. But when we get to EG and the extra passengers and revenue that'll bring (and possibly 7 coach trains) the money will make more sense to have one or two extra big 'uns available.

6. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    70013 isn't listed as a guest anymore and I've no idea what progress is going on with it though Steam Railway said it would return to Loughborough after its repairs. If only 70000 would visit for running in down the line.

There does seem to be favouritism towards smaller locos at the moment meaning that 34059,9017,1638 and 80151 are the only Giants and even then 80151 is due out of service this time next year. However 847 and 263 are due back next year which brings in a bit more power. However you can see why the lines gone for smaller locos because they're easier and cheaper to overhaul compared to say 92240. When's Camelot due back 2012?

7. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

The Bluebell news Winter 2009 states that 92240 requires less than a years work to getting it running again, but they do not require another giant sized loco.Camelot has always been due to go into the works after 847, and according to the Winter 2009 issue of Bluebell news, completion might be 2013.

8. D1004

D1004 New Member

Does anyone know whether there is a chance that 34059 will make the gala?

D1004

9. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Bluebell site says 30777 has arrived.

10. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Glad to see 30777 has arrived, can't wait to see that paired with the Bulleid carriage set. I hope they don't decide to double-head it with 1638 at Giants. Whilst I could understand the temptation to put the two Maunsell locos together, both are in different dating liveries and it just wouldn't look right. Now what would it take to pursuade the MLS guys to paint 1638 in lined black? : )

11. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Or much better, repaint 777 in Olive Green :)

As other posters have said, 30777 definitely is on site - in the loco shed at the moment.

Will be a while for anything other than specials I guess - KC and HK have suitable platforms (except platform 4/5 which is shorter), and EG has been built to fit 7 coach trains, but SP is limited to 6 coaches, and even then the engine starts off the end of the platform. Extension to 7 coaches is definitely possible in the future, but would require extension of the existing platforms right up to the River Ouse bridge, as well as complete re-signalling. (For example, it's not just moving the starting signals - currently the shunting neck between the up advanced starter and the down home is exactly long enough for an engine and 6 coaches - if this needs to stretch to seven to allow shunt moves, the outer home at Ketches needs to move back to allow suitable protection for shunting locos from down trains; in turn the down distant on Freshfield bank might have to move back. So doable, but possibly quite expensive and complex in the current circs!

The reasons for such a change in loco policy have been well rehearsed in Blue News. But there's also a positive unintended consequence that small engines working close to their limit are much more challenging and enjoyable for loco crew than a big 'un working well inside its capabilities! (Well, IMHO anyway). Given the choice of Archie on 6 coaches at 25mph up to the tunnel, or the C on 4 or 5, I know which I'd prefer...

Tom

12. D1004

D1004 New Member

Any answers to my question on 34059 please? How long is it likely to be out of use?

D1004

13. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    As far as I know it's very doubtful for Giants but there's still hope that it may be ready for the charter booked with it in November.

14. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    According to the Bluebell Loco Roster 30777 is expected to be in service this weekend on Service B and the Evening Dining Train. Now there is an alternative to the GCR Gala!

Regards

15. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Definitely, me and my Dad should be on the lineside this Saturday - weather permitting of course.

16. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Well I will be on the public side of the lineside, if you see a bloke with white hair, a flat hat, a video camera/tripod and a vermillion waterproof say hello!

Regards

17. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    I'll be going on the Saturday but on trains not the lineside.

18. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

19. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
  20. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Yes, BBC South East have said sunny for both Saturday and Sunday!:dance: