If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway Giants of Steam 2009

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Dan Hill, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Sinclair

Sinclair New Member

Won't be ready until 2010 now.

2. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    I did read what you wrote, but it doesn't help when you start off by writing a statement like: "I know the tunnel isnt called West hoathly".

Mr Willis, I'm sorry if you consider having a positive attitude to be problematic. I never knowingly say anything that I know not to be accurate or correct, hence my comments regarding the tunnel.

Chris

3. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Looked up 'Sharpthorn Tunnel' on Google and got 936 references. I have always thought that the correct terminology was 'West Hoathly Station' and 'Sharpthorn Tunnel'. This because the tunnel is located at Sharpthorn but the station is for West Hoathly.

Regards

4. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Sharpthorn Tunnel?

I looked up 'Sharpthorn Tunnel' and 'West Hoathly Tunnel' in Klaus Mark's book and found that Klaus uses both terms interchangeably. No enlightenment there.

In the past I have delved into the records of the northern companies at The National Archive and I have always found that these companies would not use similar terms for features on the lines. That tunnels, bridges, viaducts and stations always had different names even when they were immediately adjacent. This practice simply avoided confusion. I find it difficult to believe that the LBSC would be any different; perhaps the practice of using the terms 'Sharpthorn Tunnel' and 'West Hoathly Tunnel' has grown up in the preservation era, when there is no 'West Hoathly Station' to get confused with?

Regards

5. LN850

LN850 Member

473 surely can't be that far away, looking at Derek haywards most recent photos (look at Bluebells whats new page) is seems only a couple of months away.

Has a major problem been found?

If so, it seems unlikely that 263 and 178 may not be ready for August 2010, and as for 847, definetly not.

6. AMP

AMP Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Anyone know why the event is no longer listed on the railways website?

7. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Just received an e-mail from Jon Bowers saying 30777 has failed up at the GCR and will not be visiting for Giants now. An alternative visiting loco is trying to be lined up but whether it can arrive in time for next Tuesday is uncertain. Also as has been said on here the E4 and U are still uncertainties for the gala, hopefully Richard, Sinclair or Tom can provide some news regarding these two locos in the forthcoming days'.

8. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Sad news. I was really looking forward to attending this event. Hope the replacement loco can be brought in in time.

9. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Very much so.

Regards

10. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

What extensive work has 80078 had during the past 12 months?
    6695 was withdrawn by the Owners for modification.
    80104 has just had axlebox overhaul, after running 100+ days per year for 16 years (Yes the boiler was overhauled in 2005).

In fact LN850, all steam locomotives need lots of maintenance and repairs. They did when they were new and still do now when they are all at least 50 years old. Apart from Tornado, that also seems to need constant maintenance....

Perhaps you are still grumpy that you could not use your offer of "help" with Manston in Eastleigh Works as a means of gaining your own personal open day. Which is clearly what you were intending.

11. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

No news on a replacement loco for the Bluebell - The Roster still remains the same - But regarding the gala has been taken away!!....

12. dgraw

dgraw New Member

Really gutted if 30777 can't come, but can we still have a gala.
    We could have an all engines in steam running gala with 672, 592, 9017, 34059 and 80151. It would still be the same amount of rostered engines pretty much.

13. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Now that 30777 isn’t available for the gala I take the photo charter is now off too? Does everyone now receive a refund?

14. 34007

Has everyone who was going to do the photo-shoot actually paid in advance? Because if that is the case - I too think they should get a refund.. Alot of money otherwise I would imagine has crossed palms, with no result or "End Product"

15. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Yep the charter is cancelled, Jon has said all cheques will be shredded.

16. 34007

Sorry David - I posted around the same time as yourself! Is the Gala still a go-ahead?? No update is available - May beable to find out more next week?

17. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

It’s always a big kick in the teeth for everyone when a loco can’t visit from another railway. Lets hope it’s the only down side to the gala. Does anyone know what’s failure is?

18. jonpbowers

jonpbowers New Member

Hi folks

I'm informed that revised plans are being made re. the gala, and I'm sure that the website etc will be updated once all the details are sufficently confirmed.

Photo charter on 6 Nov with 80151 on a PW train is still taking bookings - please pm me if you're interested.

Cheers,
    Jon

19. LN850

LN850 Member

(Quote) 58 Minutes Ago 07:20 PM
    twr12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LN850 View Post
    They do seem to be broken and I do get my facts right, so you need to find out your facts before blurting out statements like that.

A week ago, 80104 needed its regulator re-bushing which took it out of service for 2 weeks. 34028 and 34070 also seem to need constant work. 80078 and 80104 have had extensive work as well over the last year or so. 6695 also needed a lot of work last autumn.

I think you need to let people have their say, I only posted that last post after having in-depth talks with engineering crews at Swanage.

What extensive work has 80078 had during the past 12 months?
    6695 was withdrawn by the Owners for modification.
    80104 has just had axlebox overhaul, after running 100+ days per year for 16 years (Yes the boiler was overhauled in 2005).

In fact LN850, all steam locomotives need lots of maintenance and repairs. They did when they were new and still do now when they are all at least 50 years old. Apart from Tornado, that also seems to need constant maintenance....

Perhaps you are still grumpy that you could not use your offer of "help" with Manston in Eastleigh Works as a means of gaining your own personal open day. Which is clearly what you were intending. (quote)

Sorry twr12, but what you have just said seems to have come from nowhere and the part about a personal open day is a load of crap. I visited the works on the open days and that was enough. I am not grumpy about the offer of help, i simply am not allowed into the works. Also, if i was still grumpy with the railway, why would I take out membership with them and visit it 3 times over the last 2 weeks?

If you read what i said, you would read that i said it was nothing against the Swanage railway.

It was my understanding that 80104 was having a full bottom end overhaul and that 6695 had had problems with it. I know that steam locos need maintennce.

However, there is no need for you to take it personally, just explain the situation and people will understand. The idea about being grumpy about not helping with eastleigh works it ludicrous, I only wondered whether I could be of any use to you at the works.

I accepted that I couldnt go in and so that is that. I dont want a personal open day, because a view from Campbell road is perfectly good when you live 10 mins from the works.

Dont take things so personally, and dont go dreaming up silly ideas.

20. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Silly ideas?

That's what internet forums are for.