If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway Giants of Steam 2009

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Dan Hill, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    That was actually in respect to Bluebell 50 in August next year.

Regards,

Dan

2. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

What for this months gala?

3. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
    Well ok, in that case the "other" visitor for Giants is no longer available then...

4. LN850

LN850 Member

What was the surprise going to be anyway? You're not going to spoil anything by revealing it.

5. LN850

LN850 Member

Just checked Bluebells loco roster, it says that Friday will feature 34059, 30777 and 80151 (some branch line feel! the website says friday will have a branch line feel). But on Saturday and Sunday, only 9017 and 672 will join them. 672 doing brake van rides. So is 1638 unlikely to be ready? or is the website just being cautious?

Also, why not bring out 592 and have 7 locos in steam.

6 running the whole line, and one in HK.

6. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    The tunnel was called West Hoathly Tunnel during the British Railways era, and is still today referred to as West Hoathly Tunnel in the Sectional Appendix to the Bluebell Railway Rule Book. If you believe the tunnel name to be incorrect, I suggest you write to the Bluebell Railway stating your reasons.

Chris

7. LN850

LN850 Member

I know the tunnel isnt called West hoathly, what I meant is that we, the locals call it Sharpthorne tunnel and dont like it being labelled as West hoathly.

I am not complaining and dont want it changed, I was just trying to dispel any people telling I had got it wrong.

8. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    But the tunnel is called West Hoathly Tunnel. It always has been and still is today, irrespective of what any locals may wish.

Chris

9. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Nope 1638 won't be ready...

10. LN850

LN850 Member

(quote)12 Hours Ago 09:02 PM
    Axe But the tunnel is called West Hoathly Tunnel. It always has been and still is today, irrespective of what any locals may wish.

Chris (quote)

I really couldnt care less, it is our pet name for it and if you read what I put, I said that we dont want it changed.

I think you need to read what is being said Axe, because if you did, you would realise that you can call it what you like, but I(!) call it Sharpthorne tunnel, as that is the village it is in.

11. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    I am afraid that Mr Dadson does have an attitude problem sometimes, that said don,t we all?.

Regards

12. tom92240

Lazy
    Depends who you speak to, people in the know are quoted as saying "its looking good for the gala", I think the loco roster is being cautious, and is already wrong as per this weekend just gone; 672 was on the Mets instead as the listed 9017 which was having some attention in the yard. Likewise, 592 was over the pit having what looked like a washout from afar.

Anyway, the other visitor was meant to be 34070. (Shouldn't spoil anything now that it isn't available, I hope!)

13. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Thanks Tom for the info. Really gutted Manston couldn't visit as that would be a new cop for my Dad and I. Interestingly Richard has said that next year's Giants visitor has already been arranged, so I guess this could well be 34070.

14. tom92240

Lazy
    I have a feeling next years visitor is not of Southern origin but I think that might just be me and not fact

15. LN850

LN850 Member

I didnt realise that 34070 had stay problems, it seemed to be in perfect working order for the SLL AGM a week ago.

Poor Swanage, half of their engines always seem to be broken!

(before any of you start, that is nothing against swanage and I can appreciate that old machines such as these brake down a lot)

16. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Since when?

I suggest you get your facts right first before putting fingers to key board

17. LN850

LN850 Member

They do seem to be broken and I do get my facts right, so you need to find out your facts before blurting out statements like that.

A week ago, 80104 needed its regulator re-bushing which took it out of service for 2 weeks. 34028 and 34070 also seem to need constant work. 80078 and 80104 have had extensive work as well over the last year or so. 6695 also needed a lot of work last autumn.

I think you need to let people have their say, I only posted that last post after having in-depth talks with engineering crews at Swanage.

18. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    There is a difference between having routine maintenance and half the engines broken.

19. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    There is a difference between having routine maintenance and half the engines broken.

Yes some do break.....but to make a statement that half of Swanages locos are always broken is unfair and incorrect.....

20. LN850

LN850 Member

Yeah well, i didnt mean to imply swanage is crap, because it isnt and I made this clear in the first post, i was exaggerating.

Anyway, lets just look over this silly argument and get on with the subject of this thread, the giants of steam event.

Anyone have any idea how far 473 is with its overhaul?

Smokebox doesnt seem complete and seems a month or so off.