If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway Giants of Steam 2009

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Dan Hill, Aug 18, 2009.

1. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

It may or not be one of them.....

2. dgraw

dgraw New Member

It has now been almost confirmed on the Bluebell site that 30777 is coming to the gala, but is still subject to final confirmation.

3. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
    So no change then, they haven't said yes, so its not coming yet! ;) However, perhaps something else might be on the cards?

4. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Does anyone have a link to whoever is running the photo charters with 30777 at the Bluebell during the period around the Giants of Steam weekend? Assuming of course that loco is the visitor!

5. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
  6. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Thanks Dan. Looks like that could be a good day.

7. 34007

Hopefully my Wide Angled Lens for my Camera will be here by then and I can get some fantastic shots!!

8. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
    I quote from Richard Salmons e-mail on the Bluebell Yahoo group:

This 3-day event is on 23-25 October, and features visiting engine 30777 'Sir Lamiel'.

Such details as are currently to hand (the timetable is not yet finalised for example) are now available on the web site. There is a discount on advance ticket purchases made by the end of September, and the working timetable/event guide can be ordered in advance.

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/events/2009/giants.html

One change this year is that, rather than having the Pullman coaches scattered around the different trains, there will be four distinct coaching sets, SR Maunsell, SR Bulleid, Pullman, and Mk.1. The newly overhauled Bulleid Brake 2526 will make its special event debut as part of a 5-coach Bulleid train.

On the Sunday there are free vintage buses from Brighton to Sheffield Park (service 20), and on both days of the weekend a vintage double-decker will be used (subject to availability) on the 473 service from East Grinstead to Kingscote (with a morning 472 from Brighton and evening return) - the 473 and 472 are fare-paying scheduled services - details on the web page.

It is hoped that "Birch Grove", as Southern B473, will make its re-appearance at this event, but if its overhaul is not completed in time then the Dukedog 9017 will be used (and it is still in BR black).

9. LN850

LN850 Member

Bit of a slim line up, 5 locos is a bit pitiful, compared to February having nearly 7. A good gala needs lots of locos and 5 doesnt seem much more than they often have on a normal service day.

Come on, add 9017 and 592 to the list to make 7.

10. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

With less locos at the gala you can get more mileage behind your favorite loco. I’ve been to one or two galas in the past which have had seven or eight locos in steam and I could only manage to get two round trips behind the loco that I came to see.

11. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Richard Salmon has said on another e-mail on the Bluebell group that Roy Watts is still hoping to negotiate the hire of a second visiting loco. But so far an available loco that is suitable for a BR(S) themed gala has proved to be difficult to find.

12. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Its a shame that 34070 couldn't be re-united with 34059, the two newest addtions to the current Bulleid stable, and they are both BBs. I suppose the cost of transporting it would be prohibitive.

13. martyn63601

martyn63601 Member

Teacher
    Hi there all, i just wondered what is the theory behind the bluebell putting the dukedog as back up for birch grove, http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/events/2009/giants.html i find this quite odd as the dukedog would be a big pull for visitors as im specifically going for this loco as i missed it at steam, steel and stars 2. I wonder if this situation would be the same if it was in GWR green?

14. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'd have thought Birchgrove would be the bigger draw, bearing in mind it is returning from overhaul, and in a previously unused livery to boot - this should be its gala launch. Whereas the Dukedog has been running for 6 years now. Plus using Birchgrove keeps a strong southern feel to the event that wouldn't be the case with the Dukedog. Hence the lineup seems logical to me.

Tom

15. martyn63601

martyn63601 Member

Teacher
    I understand your point and birch grove does fit in with the theme but i think they are missing a part of a loco that would attract other customers, the dukedog has been around for 6 years but it has only been in black for 5 months, and from rumours heard it wont be staying in this livery for very long and the bluebell or steam m,ag press did say that it would stay in this livery for one bluebell gala, so why not use it to their advantage, were travelling from birmingham specifically for this reason, if not on passenger, run it on the goods, let it do what it was designed for maybe? plus it would save the railway having to hire in another loco being as they are trying to raise money for their extension to east grinstead?

16. 34007

Unless for a gala event????......

17. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Well, here's hoping... But I'm not going to this event on the strength of maybes, I want to see 34059 in completed form, and have a ride behind the U class (because of the distances involved, I've only been to the Bluebell once before, and this gala is a trial to see if I can get there and back by rail in one day- I can in theory).

18. bluebellnutter

bluebellnutter New Member

Post-graduate student
    Alternatively you can save the money spent on steaming extraneous steam engines and use it for something different, such as protecting the historic carriage fleet?

19. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    One can also save by not pulling too many coaches.

I see that "In the works" has a section stating that Doris might be leaving the Bluebell and that Fingall is worn out and the PLC are looking for a replacement.

More expence.

Toodly loo

20. bluebellnutter

bluebellnutter New Member

Post-graduate student
    I don't know, given that Doris was always going to require major work to get it fit to run with the rest of the line's fleet, it would seem that not much moey would be lost flogging that and using the cash to buy a Pullman which does work with the rest of the set?