If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Jamessquared, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Do they? I'm not so sure that the general public are that disinterested, especially if they have been bothered to go to two different heritage railways.
    Equally; would they feel the same if they saw 1618 and 1638 on different days at The Bluebell? :)

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Ah, the delights of the livery debate! Priority #1 for me is to have the locomotive working and earning its keep. The colour it appears in comes second. If I know that a different colour is likely to maintain interest (from the public rather than the enthusiast) - and therefore potential income - then I could live with something that, as an enthusiast I'm likely to have a view about. I trust those closest to such things to make the right call. End of debate for me.

3. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    I was travelling on a preserved railway a few weeks back with my young grandchildren. They asked me why
    steam locos are always dark green or black. They thought it very boring. Perhaps they have a point. <BJ>

4. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    That's because blue doesn't weather very well and red is reserved for locos of higher quality.:)

andrewshimmin likes this.
  5. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

We have?.......... I for one have never seen it!........... I might have as a kid, but I don't remember.

I don't mind what livery it carries, it'll just be nice to actually get some shots! :) ;)

6. Charles Parry

Charles Parry Member

Me either... to both points.

7. Martin Perry

With Scouse accents? :D

8. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Ahem! I'll have you know this is the Bluebell thread. No James the red engine down here ... (A micro 0-4-0T excepted!)

Tom

9. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

A very high quality little chap, though, in my view.

Jamessquared likes this.
  10. Jamessquared

The Cash for Cover Appeal continues to power forward; many thanks to everyone who's donated so far. The appeal total has now reached almost £328,000! We're not there yet, and the whole project will eventually be a lot more than the simple roofed shed we are currently targeting, so maximising the donations we receive now will boost us towards the completion of the full scheme.

(Remember, the estimate an initial target was £350k to build the frame and complete the roof. More money will ultimately be needed for the complete scheme for track and pointwork, the walls, a trim shop and a separate store for small parts).

Tom

Bramblewick likes this.
  11. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    Fantastic to see such support for the project. It will go a fair way to improve the 'linear scrapyard' (as someone on this forum calls it) situation at HK, and preserve some as yet un-restored gems. I have been wondering to myself why this project has caught people's attention (and persuaded hands into pockets) more than the Keep Up The Pressure appeal?

12. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I remember a famous quote at the start of the North Wales Coast Expresses in the 1990s...

the first trip (with Politicians, Dogs Bodies and all) ran out but the loco 34027 failed. However with 35028 in steam, it went out Light Engine for the return... a politician was on record as saying "oh look they've fixed it".

ps.. wouldnt it be nice if all rail tours had spare engines.

13. Charles Parry

Charles Parry Member

The carriage enthusiast in me wants to think it is people valuing what they ride in more than wants on front. But I suspect it is a mix of a) the locos aren't outside deteriorating so if it took a little longer, no real harm done and b) people had just donated a lot of money to get to East Grinstead and perhaps felt their wallets deserved a break.

14. Martin Perry

That sort of understandable; the various politicians etc would have been there to get their mugs on the telly, rather than out of some mild interest in steam, which most heritage railway visitors will have.
    (Plus the numbers and appearance of the locos was not too dissimilar :))

15. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Tom: Given the success of the latest appeal, how soon will a contractor be appointed to get on and build the carriage storage facility? I appreciate some groundworks were initiated to preserve the planning consent, but does that infer an actual start on the serious stuff?

Thanks

16. Jamessquared

Everything said seems to suggest that work will start next year. I'd rather imagine that doing a large construction project during the winter is probably not ideal, so I'd expect a start to be made in the spring when the weather improves and the days get longer.

Current total is a bit over £330k.

Tom

17. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Point taken Tom. Winter work can be at the mercy of variable winter weather.

Keep your fingers crossed for us on the SVR, contractors are just starting to build the Kidderminster diesel depot.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  18. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

With 94% of the money needed to do all the roof in, I hope the order for the steel has gone in for all the lot, and the contractors who will be doing the building work are bocked as well as it will be so good to see the coaches under cover as so many historic coaches have been scrapped due to the lack of undercover storage.

19. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Tom - Can you explain the level of fire safety that will be built into the structure? Will it have sprinklers/heat detection alarms?

20. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Yes it is a "favourite" expression of mine and it would be good to reach a situation when it was no longer justified. Fat chance! It will only be ameliorated when a greater priority is given to (a) storage for items already restored and (b) storage for items in need of restoration to prevent them deteriorating further.

Certainly covered storage for equipment should take priority over any extension plans.

P.H.