If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Jamessquared, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Screenshot_20230426-194516.png

cymroglan, Johnme101, A1X and 5 others like this.
  2. Kingscross

Kingscross Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Looks rancid with those WIPAC light clusters on the front, hope they get rid of them and restore the route indicator blinds.

torgormaig and Shaggy like this.
  3. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

The front would look strangely bare without them - perhaps they could add a few more hoses and cables to compensate!

4. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

The mind boggles that you'd look at that photo and the word that came to mind was 'rancid'… I'm sure the people that worked hard to present it in such great condition will be delighted.

Simon

5. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    I suspect basher speak, where the word has it's own specific meaning.

The presentation is superb, but it does look "wrong" to me - both the Wipac clusters and the view into the cab through where the headcode box was.

Shaggy, mgl, 5944 and 2 others like this.
  6. Kingscross

Kingscross Member

Apologies for the pejorative adjective. But, given the care to presenting the steam fleet in as authentic a condition as possible, it's a shame not to see similar standards applied to the ED. Those lights are a carbuncle on the face of a much-loved and elegant friend, to quote HRH.

7. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

I’m sure they have their reasons. I’m guessing the 73 is a tool rather than a primary attraction, and the lights are valuable for their usefulness more than their visual appeal.

Simon

8. Wagoniester

Wagoniester Member

As has been cited by those on the project, the priority was to get the locomotive operational and fit for service. There are plans to remove the headlights and potentially reinstate the blind boxes at a later date, but that will all be down to funding being available and, I expect, sufficient alternatives being available to release it for such work to be carried out.

9. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

10. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Well-Known Member

And as always, if such a thing is so "rancid" and offensive, I'm sure the group would appreciate a donation to immediately rectify it. I can't remember what loco it was in reference to (confident of it being D6700) but the virtues of the high intensity beam headlight was extolled somewhere even if it clashed with the otherwise original outline of the locomotive

goldfish likes this.
  11. Jamessquared

Reminder that Sunday is the Rail and Collectors Fair - see https://www.bluebell-railway.com/toy-rail-collectors-fair/

Timetable here: https://www.bluebell-railway.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/2023-PUBLIC-TIMETABLE-D.pdf

7 departures each way; in addition there is a lunchtime Golden Arrow so plenty going on.

The roster says 72 on the 9:15 / 11:45 / 2:15 and 4:45 departures ex-Sheffield Park; 80151 on the 10:30 / 1:00 / 3:30 and No. 65 on the Golden Arrow. However, the STN also says that set B (the 9:15 etc set) is four Bulleids, so either No. 72 is wrong, or the carriages are wrong; or someone needs to feed Fenchurch three shredded wheat on Sunday morning ...

Tom

John Petley, Paul42 and Wagoniester like this.
  12. Jamessquared

Nice to see a notice on the "What's New" page of a couple of donations form the Carriage Shop to two Bluebell groups: £1,000 to the Goods Division (restoring wagons) and £500 to the HK station fund. The Carriage Shop seems to make several donations of similar size to various groups around the railway each year.

Also some news from Sir Archie, and the beginning of installing solar panels on the Above Workshop Facility. See fhttps://www.bluebell-railway.com/brps/whats_new/ or 28 April.

Tom

13. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Well-Known Member

I definitely read this too quickly and thought Sir Archie was having solar panels installed.

Bluenosejohn, Kje7812, 5944 and 2 others like this.
  14. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    Solar Preheat? :)

15. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    You're not the only one.:)

16. RichardSalmon

RichardSalmon New Member

Engineer
    You are missing some important information... which you'd have found if you'd been following the project since it started in December last year.
    It has run in that condition for the last 20 years, so the mods are part of the loco's history. The loco is not owned by the Bluebell, so when you said originally "they" you are barking up the wrong tree. The owner has stated on the loco's facebook page that if you had wanted to see the light clusters removed and blind box re-installed, whilst it was being overhauled at Eastleigh, someone would have had to have donated sufficient funds to do that via the published crowd-funding page. You didn't donate the money, so you can't blame either him, or the Bluebell, but yourself if you think it looks rancid!!! The new owner has spent a considerable amount of money to purchase and get the loco into a fit state that it can run immediately on arrival; I'm guessing he doesn't have bottomless pockets (and the Bluebell certainly doesn't - we currently have a total freeze on non-essential spending unless funded by other means than revenue). If you feel so strongly, a large donation will enable what you see as a problem to be sorted.

17. Cuckoo Line

Cuckoo Line Member

No it's going electric to save using coal !

RichardSalmon likes this.
  18. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

A new take on the Swiss Electro-Steam locos

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

19. Jamessquared

Road meets Rail – Saturday 20 & Sunday 21 May 2023
    Road and rail based steam.
    Goods trains in operation, with shunting demonstrations, and demonstrations of goods loading and unloading.

Timetable – full Event Details and advance booking.

A weekend of steam powered demonstrations and vintage fairground fun! Traction engines, road rollers, steam wagons, showman’s engines, crane engines and more… bringing Horsted Keynes station to life with recreations of a bygone age.

See how road building, wood sawing, timber haulage and thrashing were carried out in the early 1900s. Watch as steam wagons and pantechnicons arrive with goods to be unloaded for onward rail transport and larger loads are craned into wagons. Experience vintage fairground rides, enjoy an ice cream and watch miniature steam displays in the paddock, with a fabulous view of the passenger trains passing by.

On the Saturday evening: live music, food and drink at Horsted Keynes. Everyone is welcome to this event so come along, wind down and enjoy the evening with us.

Tom

20. Jamessquared

With an absolutely stunning @jonpbowers photo as heading ...

Bluebell-Times-Cover-May-2023.png

The latest issue of The Bluebell Times is now available to view for May.

• A successful start to the year for visitor numbers at events – but more volunteer help is always needed if we are to continue that success
    • Make a day of it on 3 June: see behind the scenes at the members’ day – with the BRPS AGM in the afternoon and an evening hog roast
    • More support for the Goods Division and the Horsted Keynes station fund from the Carriage Shop
    • A child’s view of the work of our Education team
    • More progress on the Thumper
    The Bluebell Times is published monthly on the second Friday of every month. The next issue is due out on Friday, 9 June 2023.

https://www.bluebell-railway.com/bluebell-times/

Tom