If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Jamessquared, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Someone on the Bluebell IO group ( previously the Yahoo group) thinks the Mets should go!

Mark Thompson likes this.
  2. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Now THATS extremist- this "cultural appropriation" thing is getting silly!

...anyhow, go where, exactly?

60019 Bittern likes this.
  3. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    Surely if everything was done entirely by "purity" then all that would be left on the Bluebell are the Standard Tanks, LBSCR machines, the Q, the Us and maybe the Bulleids?

4. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

I think the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre was mentioned.

I doubt they would have survived if the Bluebell had not purchased them.

Someone people just need to accept that certain locos and rolling stock will remain where they were left to or bought by.

Both the Mets and the Dukedog have been allowed to visit appropriate locations .

5. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
    “Forth and multiply” according to some!

On carriages: the six wheel LMS sleeper was still at the railway as of yesterday, but I think that is just awaiting onward transport. Maunsell brake third 3724 is also still at the railway and appears to have been withdrawn for sale (it was on the 2021 sale document but is no longer listed as for sale) - I believe there is a reevaluation about whether it would make a better candidate than 4441 as a wheelchair accessible conversion for the Maunsell set.

Tom

6. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    A rake of LNER teaks that runs between Shropshire and Worcestershire might not be ‘authentic’ but I’m very glad they’re still around.
    I do think some people don’t quite realise that our heritage railways can’t exactly just pick up new stock or locomotives like it’s ordering from the Hornby catalogue.

Bluenosejohn, Kje7812, hyboy and 6 others like this.
  7. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I did a compilation some while back, and while there were 50+ classes of loco recorded on the Bluebell in pre-preservation days, the only classes in the collection that were seen on the line pre-preservation are the Terriers; E4 (Birch Grove); 80xxx tank engine; Wainwright C; Marsh H2; Maunsell Q; Maunsell U; Maunsell V (Schools); Bulleid WC/BB (original definitely; can't remember about rebuilt now). Amongst things preserved, but not at the Bluebell, you can add Stroudley E1, LMR 2MT tank; Fairburn Class 4 tank; Stroudley "Gladstone" class; Drummond T9; Wainwright D; Maunsell N; Bulleid Q1; Riddles 76xxx mogul; Austerity 2-8-0.

There were plenty of oddities; everything from Stroudley singles and Craven Goods through to the prototype Leader. (There - I've done it now). The status of the line as a diversionary route to Brighton meant that a surprisingly large number of things could turn up, either on cross country workings, or going to / from Brighton Works. I suspect the list I have is missing things working through to the works at night.

Tom

8. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Well, you could but it would cost millions and take years. There are firms out there who would gladly accept your order, along with a substantial deposit.;)

Attached Files:

9. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

There is also historical justification for locos being stored "awaiting works" at Horsted Keynes...

But these days they would be better under cover!

Steve B

10. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

Whenever I look at the prices Hornby charge these days I have the same feeling! I have a number of O-16.5 locos running on the chassis from Triang locos from the late 50s/early 60s (albeit with new(ish) wheels and motors now) which cost £2/10/0d new.

Steve B

Matt37401 likes this.
  11. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

The Mets are special, the London Underground museum depot has limited space and might have to move soon, it's good the London Underground museum and the Bluebell Railway have some arrangement to use the Mets on special LU Museum trains, in return the Bluebell Railway most likely gets some income and publicity.

Paul42 and Matt37401 like this.
  12. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

I thought the LU signalling upgrade meant no more steam and hence I assume no more use of the Mets.

13. 60019 Bittern

60019 Bittern New Member

I feel like these arguments of "X loco/X coaches should go to X Railway because it's geographically more appropriate" almost never take the real world into account.

To use that specific example, the Bluebell would be losing an interesting & operationally useful set of coaches while (with no disrespect) a place like BRC would not get as much use out of them and might have issues keeping them undercover/maintaining them.
    It's the same with the Dukedog; most of the lines people say that should go to already have plenty of projects going on and not necessarily the capacity to take on another overhaul....

Bluenosejohn, 35B, Paul42 and 4 others like this.
  14. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    I have to agree, I do remember having a rather interesting conversation with my brother a few years about why don’t ‘they just’ repaint a certain locomotive at the SVR, he does have a basic interest in Railways but he didn’t quite seem to understand how much what the cost to do the job would be not just in materials, but things like labour and time, plus consideration of a serviceable locomotive being out of traffic.
    Myself and my Dad did say if he wanted to stump up the 2 or 3k for paint we’d quite happily put him in touch with the owning group and he would like to have a chat with them? He did shut up rather rapidly then!
    As I’ve said previously, some people don’t seem understand that our heritage lines are not just 1:1 train sets and that you can’t just take something out the box, play with it and then say ‘I’m bored with this, I want one of these now’

Bluenosejohn and 60019 Bittern like this.
  15. Ruston906

Ruston906 Member

I do enjoy the North Yorkshire Moors it does not worry me if its a S15 or a Schools just enjoy the ride and the view.

Shaggy and hyboy like this.
  16. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Was only central London, but could still run on the outer section of the Met Line, and mentioned in the video here, nothing so far planned?
    https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/heritage-vehicle-outings
    Great video of the last heritage trains through central London 2019 which looked fun.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  17. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

I was unaware that a Schools had visited the line in the "old" days. I had thought that they exceeded the axle loading for the line. Do you have any details please Tom?

Peter

18. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    I believe one visit (or possibly the only one) was for the naming of 917 which was named Ardingly, after Ardingly College.

Jamessquared and torgormaig like this.
  19. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

and in those days they didn't have to wait quite so long for their turn for something to be done with them!

20. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Well-Known Member

That puts me in mind of an incident at Sheffield Park some 30-ish years ago, before the limitations of public access were imposed. The story was published in BN:
    A member of the loco department spotted a man accompanied by a child, about to operate a set of yard points with a moving engine bearing down on them. After preventing what would have been a disastrous outcome, said member, shocked, remonstrated with the father. The reply was equally shocking "Well, we've paid our money, so we expect to be able to play trains!"
    Little wonder that the yard access restrictions are in place.