If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Jamessquared, Feb 16, 2013.

1. ykin01

ykin01 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Great to see things are happening on Fenchurch - hopefully she may be in steam for her 150th Birthday!

jnc likes this.
  2. Ben Jenden

Ben Jenden New Member

The railway released its loco roster for 19th May-10th June.
    https://www.bluebell-railway.com/locomotive-roster/

A reminder for those interested this is 263s last season before withdrawal for overhaul and also a possible last for 847 depending whether it can be coaxed till the expiry of its ten-year ticket in 2023 or not.

3. A1X

A1X Member

Generic IT bod
    Presumably also depending whether the replacement (which I assume is 34059) is ready for the end of the year?

4. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

847 was really used somewhat in reserve last year: with 73082, 80151 and 541 available, it was only needed sparingly. I suspect it can continue in that vein for a while yet: obviously keeping it in traffic does have a cost of putting it through an annual exam etc. It was a good loco for the East Grinstead Santas since, with an all-day duty with hours of steam heating and repeated cold starts away from HK, the big water capacity was useful. I think last year many of its days in traffic were on that duty.

263 entered traffic in 2012. Having had a substantial boiler overhaul at that time, and just come off a large intermediate mechanical overhaul, I think it would be disappointing if it didn't go right through into the first half of 2022. If 2022 reverts somewhat to normality, Branch Line Gala that year may be its swan song. I'm not privy to any inside information, but the fact that it just had a lot of mechanical work done and the good condition of the boiler suggests to me that it might be a candidate for a rapid turnaround for a new ticket in 2022, in preference to No. 592.

Tom

Ben Jenden, jnc, Johnme101 and 2 others like this.