If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Operating Practice

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by dan.lank, Jul 2, 2012.

1. dan.lank

dan.lank Member

Just a quick one... Quite often recently, I've been to Sheffield Park and seen trains propelled north through platform 1 (I think-furthest from the building either way), to return south into platform 2. Does anybody know what this is for? I'm assuming it's something to do with trains not being able to enter platform 2 from the south, but I can't really back that up! Just wondering because I can't recall having seen it happen much before the past few years... Thanks all!

2. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If you look where the exit from the carriage shed headshunt is, it comes out directly onto the "up" platform (furthest from the main building) - you can't go direct to the "down" platform". Once you are in the up platform, there are two possible routes to the down: either shunt forwards to the north of the station and haul back; or else haul back into one of the sidings south of the station, then propel forwards. However, that latter move is restricted for bogie vehicles due to the sharp curvature of the crossover at the south end of the station, which is a sharp "S" curve. Hence the standard route out of the carriage shed is haul up to the carriage shed headshunt; then propel the stock through the "up" platform and out onto the single line; then haul back into the "down" platform - then run round.

Tom

3. dan.lank

dan.lank Member

Question answered! Great, thanks :)