If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Northern Extension - so what's occurring then?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by domeyhead, Feb 17, 2012.

1. PortRoadFan

PortRoadFan New Member

Hi Tom,

Am I correct in assuming the 4 rakes of coaches for the opening weekend are like this:

* 2 Bullied/Mark 1 rakes
    * Maunsell + 100 Seater + Bogie 1st + Birdcage/LSWR brake
    * Met set + 3 4-wheelers?

If not, what are the likely rakes which will be used, and their designations in the timetable?

Cheers,

Chris

2. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
    Hi,

Pretty much just that!

Set A features the Obo with 3 Bulleid's and a Mk1 Buffet and disabled access vehicle.
    Set B features the GN Saloon with 4 Mk1's and a Bulleid Brake.
    Set C features the 3 Maunsell's, 100 Seater, Brighton Bogie 1st and Birdcage Brake
    Set D features 4 Mets and 3 4 Wheelers

Then we have the Pullmans with the Blood and Custard Mark 1 FO over the weekend.

Tom

3. jamesd

jamesd Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    How is a 9F with a S&D reporting number in any way authentic for a line in Sussex?! Surely any train to EG is a good thing, who cares what loco/combination it is. Just enjoy it for what is - the opening weekend.

4. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    No I do not currently volunteer
  5. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    From a gricer point of view the 9F with S&D reporting number and lamps would be an authentic train combination with green Mk.1's/Bulleid carriages, ok not for Sussex, but just generally. Whilst I'm still looking forward to next weekend, and yes it's all about the new link at E.G, it is a little disappointing that it seems we won't be able to run just one authentic train combination.

6. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

I'd like to think the gala weeks will focus on what's authentic for the Bluebell Railway, and its preservation. That'll be a combination of the small, early locos like 323, Birch Grove and Stepney, with higgledy piggledy stock up to the 9F and some mark 1s. They should be telling the story of the last 40-50 years of running a preserved lines. There'll be other opportunities to get back to recreating authenticity.

Simon

7. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's going to be a great event even if not all the combinations of locos and stock will look like authentic trains from any given period. Thanks to all who posted videos and pictures of the test trains which ran over the weekend. Currently living 150 miles away, I haven't visited north of KC since a visit to my in-laws (who live in East Sussex) last April, but I've been keenly following progress via the photos of RP and JS, like many others. In fact, it's hard to imagine that in a couple of weeks' time, I'll no longer continue what has become almost a daily morning ritual for me looking at the latest developments! It's still almost unbelievable that the extension is finally complete (well, give or take a bit of tidying up) and that 92212 actually steamed through to EG two days ago. An interesting choce of engine for the first steam loco to haul a set of carriages up from the south since 1958 - 92212 wasn't even built when the line closed to regular traffic.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a visit over the Easter period, and will be keenly awaiting the timetable for this period. I see from the loco roster that it will be more than just a two-train service. Probably very wise, as a lot of people who won't be down for the opening weekend may well decide to visit a week later. Oh for some warmer and sunnier weather by then! Best wishes to all as the big day draws nearer.

8. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
    As a gricer of how things were pre-Bluebell, I agree that would work very well, even the 92212 isn't an S&D engine, or with the correct tender.

However as Simon points out, this gala is typical of Bluebell on Parade galas of the past, and thus is very authentic in its presentation, and I think that the gala should be just that as this is all about Bluebell and our achievement with our preservation societies main goal.

I guess the best we can manage for you is painting the GN Saloon maroon and black and pretending it's a Waterloo - Bournemouth officers special! :p

9. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Timetables on the Bluebell website with allocations see this thread http://railways.national-preservat...opening-gala-spring-2013-a-17.html#post538241

10. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Sitting in Auckland airport waiting a domestic transfer...

I think 92212 was chosen for the first trip mainly because it was heavy. I suspect having a very sure-footed engine to make the first trip with what was a reasonably heavy train on rails that hadn't had any traffic before (and hence were likely to be slippery) also had something to do with it. It was also 92212's first full line trip after its recent repairs, so even though it had been passed as fit to run, it probably made sense to give it a trip that was not on the service train. On Sunday I believe the 9F ran the service train which left the U boat to do the training trips, which with seven coaches in the consist were definitely a genuine test for the crews.

AFAIK, there is a temporary 10mph limit from the start of the 1:55 to the summit of the line in the cutting, which explains why the training trips looked slow, but that should be lifted before March 23.

Tom (narked that I am going to miss it all, but on the positive, in about two hours I get to see my children and wife for the first time in three weeks!)

11. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

tom,

hope you have a good holiday, and thanks for keeping us informed of developments on the BR!

the 9F will settle the track...though surprised if the tamper isnt still present after the training runs by the heavy locos to sort out the track again.

i hope STEPNEY makes the first train through on a 'special' next weekend. an LBSCR loco on a LBSCR line and the BR's 1st loco. also the 1st steam loco i ever had a ride behind when 4 years old!

i hope to attend a week later with family as fare paying passengers plus a suitable donation over Easter weekend.

a wonderful achievement and everyone on the BR is to be congratulated!

perhaps it wont be too long before the LBSCR Directors saloon goes in the works and gets put back into traffic after some 40 years and a fitting tribute to bernard holden who was very keen on this coach being restored! i travelled in it in the early 1970's.

cheers,
    julian

12. Grashopper

Grashopper Member

Assistant FLeet engineer Southern Railway
    The tamper is still present but I believe it broke down on arrival! This may be the reason behind running a test/training train instead of the tamper as they don't have much time left to do either, thus making best use of the situation.

13. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Tom, seconded, thanks for the updates and info. Have a good trip.

The 9F is a big engine, but has a relatively low axle loading, so not as dramatic effect on the p-way as you might think.

14. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Fantastic news that EG has been re-connected, I remember an old VHS I had as a kit where the line had not yet reached Kingscote and East Grinstead was but a far off hope. Amazing that the Bluebell has come full circle to be part of the network once more.

15. Jamessquared

Latest John Sandy's photos, with about two days to go to the official opening. These show the H class on crew training duties hauling the Mets + 4 wheelers (good to see, because it implies that at least one P tank can fail without needing to shorten trains! - see note from Lewis Nodes above) and also more preparations at EG.

The chairs in the dining coach are Maunsell and Bulleid era restaurant chairs and have been restored by the C&W for use at EG.

NEP Photo Update, Thurs,21/03/13

Tom

16. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Lovely. What are the longer-term needs of Imberhorne cutting? Will the debris netting need to be retained, or will there be trees/bushes/grass planted on the spoil? Which is more effective for the railway?

17. Jamessquared

In time, grass etc will grow up through the sheeting. That will serve both to disguise the black sheeting and, more importantly, to stabilise the cutting sides. Eventually, I believe the geotex membrane will degrade away, leaving just the cutting side with a layer of vegetation, which will need cutting back by the lineside gangs in the normal way. I'd not be surprised though, given the height and steepness, especially on the western side, if we don;t have to have special instructions for how that happens. When the sheeting was put in place (held by metal staples), the people doing it abseiled down the sides! No idea how long it will take. On the eastern side, some evidence of grass growing can be seen already, but there is no geotex low down on that side. So it may be a few years before you really start to see a difference - though nature can be surprisingly tenacious at getting an initial grip!

Tom

18. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    A chap near me has a grassed slop of near equal steepness at the front of his house. He cuts it with a flymo to which he attaches a rope. He stands at the top of the slope and lowers the flymo down then hauls it back up again before moving on to the next cut. Seems to work but I don't think it would pass any rigorous risk assessment!

19. Jamessquared

(Eyebrows raised!)

Surprise surprise, we weren't able to remove spoil from the cutting by using horses attached to ropes, hauling wheelbarrows up narrow planks while a member of the NEP team precariously guided them from behind. That failed a risk assessment too, despite our claims about Tring Cutting and grandfather rights. :smile:

Tom

20. Jamessquared